User Tag List

Page 66 of 119 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876116 ... LastLast

Thread: The next manager..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wenger has left us in terrible shape, relatively speaking. Sliding down the league, out of contention for the major honours, with a squad half committed and playing dire boreball. Only a final day capitulation by Burnley grabbed away points since Dec 2017. It's hellish - relatively speaking. The two new guys have started to unwind some of the damage, but there's so much still to do. Wenger was completely past it by the time he was booted. Everything he touched turned to shit, like an excremental version of Midas. One more year of it would have seen us is serious peril.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish they'd appoint somebody then we can focus our moaning with more accuracy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    Wenger hasn't left us in bad shape at all and we're perfectly capable of attracting a top manager if we do the right things.
    Liverpool and Utd weren't in the CL when they attracted Klopp and Mourinho.
    You really are funny. For years you've warned us against changing manager because we could end up 'doing a Utd'.

We end up finishing outside the CL spot for a second season in row under Wenger and with less points than Moyes Utd team but you now say Wenger hasn't left us in bad shape! If all this were to happen under a new manager you'd be singing from a different hymn book.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Power n Glory View Post
    You really are funny. For years you've warned us against changing manager because we could end up 'doing a Utd'.

We end up finishing outside the CL spot for a second season in row under Wenger and with less points than Moyes Utd eam but you now say Wenger hasn't left us in bad shape! If all this were to happen under a new manager you'd be singing from a different hymn book.
    Argh, I hadn't realised that, but then again, we only got 3 points away from home this year and not loads fokr the whole of the season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don’t think Letters would to be fair. The thing is, the two things aren’t comparable to start off with. A Manager that was bringing us to the situation we are in now, or even one that maintains us in this crap position would likely be fired more readily.
    If you don’t send this signature to ten people, you will become a Spurs fan.

Administrator McNamara That Ghost...'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall_Quinn View Post
    Wenger has left us in terrible shape, relatively speaking. Sliding down the league, out of contention for the major honours, with a squad half committed and playing dire boreball. Only a final day capitulation by Burnley grabbed away points since Dec 2017. It's hellish - relatively speaking. The two new guys have started to unwind some of the damage, but there's so much still to do. Wenger was completely past it by the time he was booted. Everything he touched turned to shit, like an excremental version of Midas. One more year of it would have seen us is serious peril.
    Everything he touched turned to mould.

It'd odd really, even if Wenger has left us in a bad shape - at least for the new guy's perspective, is it a bad thing?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McNamara That Ghost... View Post
    Everything he touched turned to mould.

It'd odd really, even if Wenger has left us in a bad shape - at least for the new guy's perspective, is it a bad thing?
    In some ways, yes. Because we still have this reputation for playing good football even though the shite we play is close on unwatchable. The new guy isn't going to get fantasy assessments from the media, pundits and half the fans. We'll actually have to play decent football now. Which means the poor sod has to deprogram the whole squad and start with the basics. It's probably a long road back. Intensive care.

And his record won't always be prefixed with, 'When he first arrived...', or, 'Built the stadium with his bare hands...'

This guy is going to have to perform. No excuses.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good article explaining the £50m "war chest" that the new manager / coach will have to work with...

https://shewore.com/2018/05/19/arsen...get-explained/

Short version: £50m is the amount that we can afford to increase the cost of running the business by and still break even - it doesn't refer to how much is available for transfer fees, which could be anything depending existing cash reserves, outgoing sales, how payments are structured, etc...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall_Quinn View Post
    Wenger's role has been eliminated. Arsenal FC doesn't have a manager any more. We are seeking a coach. And Arteta has plenty of experience in that role as number 2 to Guardiola. I don't see a problem at all. The problem, Wenger, has gone. If Arteta is shit he'll be gone too, but it won't take a decade to chop him. The whole club is in transition now. We have zero idea how it's all going to pan out and have to trust the people in charge. Really, that's what's simple about this. If they fuck it up, then we legitimately jump all over them. But they haven't even appointed the new guy yet and, as far as I'm aware, they aren't talking. So everything in the media is well salted.

I wouldn't have picked Arteta, personally. But then again, I hardly know anything about him. I'm just chuffed to bits that Wenger has gone and in return for that I can put up with a lot for the time being. Provided we play watchable football. If we don't do that then I don't care who's in charge, I'll want them gone.
    all this brave new world stuff is all well and good but does it fit with getting and keeping good players and getting the best out of them? that 'coach' still has to do some very important things - get teams and tactics right, inspire the players, be tough with the players, get and keep respect, have the experience to know what it is to win things as a manager.

If they get someone more experienced and Arteta is assistant with a clear path to taking the big job, that's ok, but parachuting him straight in just seems a big risk with a club that needs to ge back on track fast

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikel’s Magic Hat View Post
    I don’t think Letters would to be fair. The thing is, the two things aren’t comparable to start off with. A Manager that was bringing us to the situation we are in now, or even one that maintains us in this crap position would likely be fired more readily.
    True. Letters would probably find a positive spin. But I'm not sure what you mean by not comparable. The decline and transition most feared has happened under Wenger and we're in a tough spot. Whether or not the new guy would get fired doesn't matter. We've already done a 'Utd' with Wenger. It could have been a lot worse if the Board had listened to Wenger and not appointed a Director of Football and Head of Recruitment.

In fact, Wenger was about to allow Ozil and Sanchez leave on a free and we wouldn't have Aubameyang or Mkhitaryan in the squad. It could have looked a lot worse. I have no idea what he was thinking. We could have had a massive job on our hands rebuilding the squad and having to make massive changes to the backroom staff. I'm optimistic about the season ahead but we still have a challenge ahead of us.