User Tag List

Page 67 of 119 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977117 ... LastLast

Thread: The next manager..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    Wenger hasn't left us in bad shape at all and we're perfectly capable of attracting a top manager if we do the right things.
    Liverpool and Utd weren't in the CL when they attracted Klopp and Mourinho.
    He has. He has left us without a keeper, central defence or central midfield. We have imbalances all over the squad and most of our best players are in their late 20’s.

Make no mistake, there is a lot of work to do to put things right.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by selassie View Post
    He has. He has left us without a keeper, central defence or central midfield. We have imbalances all over the squad and most of our best players are in their late 20’s.

Make no mistake, there is a lot of work to do to put things right.
    Yeah! Wenger out!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chippy View Post
    Yeah! Wenger out!
    And stay out!
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    Wenger hasn't left us in bad shape at all and we're perfectly capable of attracting a top manager if we do the right things.
    Liverpool and Utd weren't in the CL when they attracted Klopp and Mourinho.
    I can't believe the day I've dreaded for so long has finally come- I am forced to give Letters a

No matter how you lot might want to paint it, if Arteta is chosen as our next manager, we have "settled" and the only thing I can think of more uninspiring than deciding to give this nobody ( which is what he is) our club is if we had stuck with AW for another year.

The myth that no top manager will take us on because we are out of the CL or we don't have an immediate £200 million warchest to pledge, is nothing but a myth and has no logical or footballing evidence to support and if you ask me is little worth debating.

But if we do have to, just like people have rightly pointed out, the Mourinho and Klopp examples end this line of thought pretty fast.

The facts remain, Arsenal is still one of the top clubs, in one of the top football cities, in the top football league in the world. If we could all get over our self-pity we would recognise that for any football manager this remains one of the top 10 club football jobs available, if not top 10 world football jobs in entirety!

Just try naming the opportunities available to football managers, it can't get much better than being handed an Arsenal, especially an Arsenal in this state where all expectations have been considerably lowered due to our recent "exploits".

I have nothing against Arteta, but to any sane football fan or expert, we are taking a huge risk and "settling" way below us- most people will struggle to see this in any other way.

But obviously their is precedence that these kind of risks can work (e.g. AW) but I personally don't believe in stretching your luck.

Anyway, I'm still hopeful that the right thing will be done and just like NQ, I'm still in a celebratory mood over the dinosaur's extinction.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitive and unarguable proof Arteta is the right man for the job.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFZkC2SZLWg
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sunday Supplement crew are pretty much doing "Arteta WHO?"

They are crying about Brendan Rodgers not getting the job.

Good news. Good news.

Although, to be fair, they also said we should have gone for Simeone. I don't think he was ever in the running, but he should have been.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall_Quinn View Post
    Definitive and unarguable proof Arteta is the right man for the job.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFZkC2SZLWg
    Would you want Arteta if this actually happened?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blink 1nce Quince 2wice View Post
    Would you want Arteta if this actually happened?
    For the first couple of years anyway. Then I'd probably start an Arteta Out clique.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No doubt....but you would accept the output of 1 league + 1 Europa league title in seven years and want him here?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blink 1nce Quince 2wice View Post
    No doubt....but you would accept the output of 1 league + 1 Europa league title in seven years and want him here?
    I don't demand any titles or cups. What I want to see most is entertaining, attacking, competitive football. I want us to be in every hunt until the end and if we win it, great, but if we don't then we accept somebody was even better than us and we try again next year. It's the competitiveness that counts for me. We lost that under Wenger. Every fan knew, even the most optimistic, we'd crumble when the big challenges came. I want to go into those challenges at least believing we have a realistic chance.

There's a big difference between planning for 4th and planning for 1st but having to settle for 4th. The former is like losing, straight out of the gate. That's what annoyed me most about Wenger. He was proud of his systematic mediocrity. Football is supposed to be a rollercoaster, not a Swiss railway timetable.

Not sure I ever want to see the same manager here for 7 years though. Football has changed. Fresh ideas are important. Money alone is not enough to keep an edge because everyone has money now. The relegated clubs shared a third of a billion between them, for total failure. So the same guy, with the same ideas, for 7 years. Not sure how viable that is any more.

And who knows who the best guy for the job is? Plenty of well experienced managers have fallen flat on their faces in this league. We missed out on Klopp and Pep because Wenger was too selfish to move over and the board was too weak to push him. If the gossip holds any truth, we couldn't get the Hoffenheim coach, we couldn't afford the demands of some of the experienced candidates so we're taking a punt on Arteta. I have a gut feeling it might work out. Can't say why for sure, it's just a feeling. But even if it does (and especially if it doesn't), of all clubs I hope we've learned the lesson that decisive action is required if we start going backwards instead of forwards - in terms of the competitiveness of the club as well as the style of the football.
    Für eure Sicherheit