User Tag List

Page 73 of 119 FirstFirst ... 2363717273747583 ... LastLast

Thread: The next manager..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's a young, trophy laden, ambitious manager. His work at Sevilla was fantastic. He plays football the right way and his teams play good football technically.

If the option was Arteta or Emery then there really was no option.

Ivan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cripps View Post
    He's a young, trophy laden, ambitious manager. His work at Sevilla was fantastic. He plays football the right way and his teams play good football technically.

If the option was Arteta or Emery then there really was no option.

Ivan
    Now that's a great post. Novice or experience with success. Its a no brainer. Arteta is like jumping out of a plane with a parachute that everyone else has passed up.
    Make 2mrw better than 2day

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Splinter View Post
    If Arteta was supposedly the "safe, unambitious" choice because of his inexperience, then this is certainly the middle-of-the-road appointment that's neither completely terrible nor terribly exciting.

I'm not going to be obnoxiously negative and judge the guy before he's had a chance to do something, but this all seems like the compromise option that people thought Arteta was. Allegri/Enrique unavailable or too expensive. Arteta/Nagelsman too much of a risk. At least a risk is exciting, but this initially just feels underwhelming.

If we're aiming for Europa League glory, then he fits the bill. A look at his league form would give cause for concern though. Even at PSG with the overwhelming advantage of one of the most expensive teams ever assembled, he lost out to Monaco last season. And they haven't improved in the CL either.

And considering his English is not as fluent as other candidates, why not opt for Jardim who also has problems with the language but a recent track record with vastly improving players?

After all the recent changes at the club, it seemed as if the structure was in place for something genuinely new and potentially innovative. But whether it's because of clashing ideas, budget restrictions or panic, it all appears to have amounted to another opportunistic Arsenal transaction rather than a brave one.

I'd love for people to laugh at me in future for doubting this appointment after he's become another managerial legend, but at the moment it's all a bit beige/vanilla/meh.
    I get where you're coming from and I agree that Emery's not a particularly exciting appointment. But that type of manager might be the best of what's available to us.

We're not exactly in the best position to attract the best of the best. Our squad is awful, we're not in the CL and we only have £50m to spend in the summer (allegedly). Is it any wonder why managers of the calibre of Allegri don't give us a second look?

On the other hand we could take a risk on a complete unknown like Arteta and hope for the best. It might be more exciting at first because we can delude ourselves into thinking that he'll be some kind of genius who'll lead us back to glory. In reality it's not likely that he'll miraculously be one of the top 5% of managers in his first ever job. He's much more likely to be one of the rest, or worse a Gary Neville who'll sink us down to new depths.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GP View Post
    He is awful...

But I like him.

Do you want a punch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AFTV claiming Arteta didn't want to go with new system at Arsenal and wanted more say than was being offered. Ballsy move that didn't work out for him, although he has teh gypos to fall back on of course. So I guess Emery has accepted the new system and, for me, that's a good thing. No more emperors.
    Für eure Sicherheit

New Signing
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    Do you want a punch
    You're too young...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dial Square Old Boy View Post
    You're too young...
    I actually am, but I made that exact joke about a week ago...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Splinter View Post
    If Arteta was supposedly the "safe, unambitious" choice because of his inexperience, then this is certainly the middle-of-the-road appointment that's neither completely terrible nor terribly exciting.

I'm not going to be obnoxiously negative and judge the guy before he's had a chance to do something, but this all seems like the compromise option that people thought Arteta was. Allegri/Enrique unavailable or too expensive. Arteta/Nagelsman too much of a risk. At least a risk is exciting, but this initially just feels underwhelming.

If we're aiming for Europa League glory, then he fits the bill. A look at his league form would give cause for concern though. Even at PSG with the overwhelming advantage of one of the most expensive teams ever assembled, he lost out to Monaco last season. And they haven't improved in the CL either.

And considering his English is not as fluent as other candidates, why not opt for Jardim who also has problems with the language but a recent track record with vastly improving players?

After all the recent changes at the club, it seemed as if the structure was in place for something genuinely new and potentially innovative. But whether it's because of clashing ideas, budget restrictions or panic, it all appears to have amounted to another opportunistic Arsenal transaction rather than a brave one.

I'd love for people to laugh at me in future for doubting this appointment after he's become another managerial legend, but at the moment it's all a bit beige/vanilla/meh.
    The Europa League wins caught my attention but when I looked at Sevilla's performance in La Liga it was a concern. In his last season for Sevilla they didn't win a single away match.

He hasn't got a great CL record, performs poorly against the bigger clubs and if you check his head to head stats vs mangers like Pep, Mourinho, Simeone, Enrique... etc, it's not pretty. In fact, he couldn't even beat Wenger.

Hopefully he has another gear in him if this is confirmed. If fans look a little closer at his record, they may have the same reservations.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can dissect anything to put whatever spin on it.

Fact is we've just hired a serial winner. One that plays exciting, attacking football. Let's get behind this appointment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cripps View Post
    You can dissect anything to put whatever spin on it.

Fact is we've just hired a serial winner. One that plays exciting, attacking football. Let's get behind this appointment.
    Not winning a single away game all season is spin? Never making it past the last 16 of the CL or going out in the group stage is spin?

I think he's a stable appointment and may get us back in the CL and some cup victories but I'm not sure if he has the potential to topple Pep, Klopp, Pott and Mourinho. Go on Tranafermarket.com and check out his head to head stats. Hopefully, he is young enough to learn and adapt.