User Tag List

Page 94 of 119 FirstFirst ... 44849293949596104 ... LastLast

Thread: The next manager..

Administrator McNamara That Ghost...'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our improvement last night wasn't enough to save him.

Make a prediction when we'll have a new coach installed.

Me? May 2020.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumble View Post
    why though? why not take our time over the next replacement... you never know Freddie might give the players a bit of result bounce to see us over the next few fixtures.
    A few reasons really, firstly it will give him time to work with the squad and workout what he'll need in the summer, secondly he may be able to get us back into CL contention at this stage, even though we're a fair way behind.

Also Ljungberg was a great player, but it totally unproven and I'm not sure I want us to go that route to be honest, think we need someone tougher to get the players motivated and into line, we've had too soft an approach for too long.

Also worried Ljungberg may be friendly with Xhaka and may re-introduce him, like Emery did.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac76 View Post
    What do we think of the Santo idea?

He's obviously good but is he good enough for Arsenal?
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    Not totally against the idea but it turns out he could be part of Raul’s inner circle of cronies.
    I've gone off the idea because of those links to Mendes - immediately makes me think that Raul's given it no thought.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah theres a long article by Le Grove on that, makes quite interesting reading. If you look at his managerial career it's been mostly average. I'd be pretty underwhelmed if he was signed, and fearing Emery 2.0.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's great the deed has finally been done, I inadvertently hugged a colleague once I saw the news and it looked like l just won the lottery.

I have been quiet for a while because I'm totally depressed about this club and leaving it this late hasn't reassured me that the people running the club know what they are doing. So honestly, I think think they'll still get it wrong with the next manager.

Anyway, I always wanted a defensive minded manager to be AW's replacement, because I do think being solid and building from back is the only way you can sustain success in this league. Mourinho is already gone and doing well so far. Simeone my top choice, still hasn't shown any sign of wanting to leave. On the other hand, I like the idea of Santo and Rodgers but I'm certain it won't happen.

All I hope is they think carefully and take their time since the stellar choices, Enrique and Mourinho are off the market due to their dithering.

I've given up on this season and just hope Freddie is able to stop the rot. I also hope Vieira's results improve so he can also be in the running.

I'm a bit more optimistic but I do think our fate was sealed the day we fully sold our club to the souless Yank, our worst decision ever!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If we at least hire somebody that has a good, solid knowledge of PL football and a willingness to focus on the basics it will speed along the day when we re-emerge as a viable football team. That's not going to be for a long, long time though. And chances are every single player on the roster now will be gone. Is Rafa available? He'd do a job, set us on the right track. Hell, is George Graham still up for it? Needs to be a PL man who speaks English. Obviously.

This is the lowest point I can recall at the club. Even in the final days of Terry Neill we were at least a football club at the core, with real football fans instead of the entitled hit mob we have today. They boo their captain, hound out their manager, demand CL football from a mid-table team and beat the badge while conveniently forgetting how many of them defended Wenger year after year when this catastrophic damage was being done. I wonder how long the next guy gets before it all starts up again? He'd better be in the coveted, sanctified "Top 4" trophy spot by the end of the season or he's gone too. Arsenal fans need to get some understanding about what it's like to be a West Ham fan, or a Wolves fan, or any other mid-table fans and then set their expectations and demands accordingly. Start small but always make progress. It would be nice to see some controlled, basic, PL football again. Instead of this arrogant, unwarranted, comical impersonation of top flight teams.

You have to wonder what they saw in Emery when they appointed him? Surely it didn't just come down to a decent Powerpoint presentation? Or was it worse than that? Did they see a Europa Cup expert and settle for that? The question being, are they in any way qualified to find a suitable manager for the club? Or will it be a game of roulette and crossed fingers? Because, if we're in the mood for firing, maybe others should be heading for the door too?
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In what sense are we a mid-table team? Wenger's last season was the only year we've been far from the top 4, in his penultimate season and in last season we were a point or two away and way above the middle of the table.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just don't think Emery was convincing at any point with us, before he arrived I preferred him to Arteta and I thought PSG actually played decent football under him (turns out it was the players not him) and you can to give him the benefit of the doubt. Unfortunately it was clear from quite early on he was having much impact, in the unbeaten run we put together we really weren't convincing at all and our playing from the back clearly wasn't working.

His insistence on playing Xhaka and then shocklngly making him captain showed how poor a judge of a players ability and competence he was, his first season wasn't impressive, even before the calamitous collapse.

As for the signings, I'm not sure if it was him or not, but Sokratis, Lichsteiner were poor signings, too old and players that would need replacing in not time, last summer was better except for the fact we didn't sign a decent CB (well we did but then loaned him back) and instead brought in Luiz who has always been a liability at CB. Add to that the fact he insisted like his predecessor to play players in the wrong postions and the fact the team had no identity and the tactics were poor and you can see it wasn't going to work.

We should have ended his stay last summer really, because for me his 1st season really didn't give us much to be optimistic about.

I just hope that now we do a proper job and identify decent candidates (not people like Arteta), who have experience and have a plan for their teams, problem is with this club you can't trust them, their decisions seem to be mainly driven by financial motives and not success on the pitch. The truth is we need a strong manager like an Allegri or Simeone, I even think Rogers is a good shout as all his teams play decent football and are setup well, we may end up with another nobody however, if we are a big club and not simply there to make up the numbers it's time we showed it with some ambition and brought in a coach who only goal isn't just getting into the top 4.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reslistically, who will the next manager be ?

I cannot see Rodgers leaving Leicester.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With the power of hindsight, he should have been sacked after Baku. From the position we were in with 7 or 8 games to go last season, it was a travesty to miss out in the way we did. The season so far is just a continuation of around 20-25 games were we've just been atrocious.

He started well enough but even during that 22 game unbeaten run the team still had little shape to it, goals were still being conceded and in some cases we were lucky to turn games around thanks to some individual brilliance.

He was just awful for us and even managed to do the unthinkable and make our defence worse than it already was! What a waste of 18 months.