User Tag List

Page 76 of 119 FirstFirst ... 2666747576777886 ... LastLast

Thread: The next manager..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with that, I think we’re a very suitable project for a manager who’s strength lies in meticulous planning. Time will tell how effective Emery will be but I certainly don’t place too much weight on his stint at PSG. They’re a vanity project for the owners, everyone there is expendable and generally world class players don’t require a great deal of coaching either. It’s more man management that makes them tick.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cripps View Post
    He wasn't the right coach for PSG and their climate. It's clear from everything I've read he was way too detailed and meticulous for those pretentious, egotistical PSG players. Neymar didn't warm to his video analysis and pre-match prep because it was deemed long and detailed imagine that, poor little Neymar actually having to listen to instructions and being told what to do

Whereas at Arsenal it's completely different. After years of laissez-faire Wenger we need a meticulous manager to come in and dissect every aspect.

Sometimes profiles just don't match and I think Emery is more suited to an underdog type club like Sevilla, Arsenal, Valencia etc i.e. a club with restricted resources that has plenty to prove where his work can really take effect, instead of the PSG's and Real Madrid's of the world with a dressing room full of uncooperative, pampered prima donnas.
    Yeah, I think there's a lot of truth to this.

Whilst an impressive track record is always a nice-to-have, I'm not sure it's always the most important factor when making these appointments? Sometimes you've got to try and see past that and really focus on the skills and ideas that they'll add when working out who is the best fit our specific role / project. I see a lot of stuff about comparing similar levels (based on whether clubs are in the EL or CL places, or serious title contenders), but the truth is no two clubs (and their brief for managers / coaches) are the same - just look at the vast differences in styles between the top 6 in the EPL! Same 'level' but wildly different philosophies and methods.

You see it with players all the time - guys like Henry and Bergkamp were just kind of getting by in Italy, but it wasn't until they came to Arsenal that they really found their perfect 'fit'. Sometimes it's the culture and footballing philosophy that's the problem, sometimes it's the very specific role they're being asked to perform, when their skill set might be better suited to something else? Again, Henry was playing on the wing for Juventus, but we immediately made him CF and he never looked back. Petit went from LB to CM, Ralphy from RW to RB, Kolo from CM to CB, van Persie from LW to CF, Cazorla and Arteta from AM to DLP, etc, etc.

What if the same is just as true for managers / first team coaches? With a club like PSG, where some players are basically undroppable, and they're buying in expensive, finished articles who need no coaching, then oddly enough their ideal manager is probably someone like Wenger - a manager who never rotates his team, and spends all his time telling his players that they're great, and shielding them from criticism (Neymar would probably love him). Whereas someone like Emery, who is more about details and challenging players to improve, even if it means hard work and taking them out of their comfort zone, might be welcomed at Arsenal with open arms (I know a lot of Gooners will scoff at that, thinking that the current Arsenal squad is literally Comfort made manifest, but I think think the truth is that a lot of our players simply look lost, and have been crying out for clear direction for a long time now)? At any rate, it clearly wasn't a good fit for PSG's room full of super-egos.

I guess you just have to hope that the club have done their homework properly, and that the talk of the directors being blown away by the depth and detail of Emery's presentation are accurate. If that particular story is true then it's encouraging, because you don't just put together a presentation like that overnight - it's something he will have been thinking about and preparing for a while, meaning that he will have been aware of our interest for a while, and that this appointment isn't just a panicky, last-minute 180.
    Last edited by I am invisible; 22-05-2018 at 10:53 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be honest, which manager who has won the CL would have come to Arsenal out of the current batch? I think they're already in posts. Sometimes you have to appoint lower than you would like and hope that it comes good.
    He's got to be a better appointment then Rogers would have been and he was top of the list for a while.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I am invisible View Post
    Yeah, I think there's a lot of truth to this.

Whilst an impressive track record is always a nice-to-have, I'm not sure it's always the most important factor when making these appointments? Sometimes you've got to try and see past that and really focus on the skills and ideas that they'll add when working out who is the best fit our specific role / project. I see a lot of stuff about comparing similar levels (based on whether clubs are in the EL or CL places, or serious title contenders), but the truth is no two clubs (and their brief for managers / coaches) are the same - just look at the vast differences in styles between the top 6 in the EPL! Same 'level' but wildly different philosophies and methods.

You see it with players all the time - guys like Henry and Bergkamp were just kind of getting by in Italy, but it wasn't until they came to Arsenal that they really found their perfect 'fit'. Sometimes it's the culture and footballing philosophy that's the problem, sometimes it's the very specific role they're being asked to perform, when their skill set might be better suited to something else? Again, Henry was playing on the wing for Juventus, but we immediately made him CF and he never looked back. Petit went from LB to CM, Ralphy from RW to RB, Kolo from CM to CB, van Persie from LW to CF, Cazorla and Arteta from AM to DLP, etc, etc.

What if the same is just as true for managers / first team coaches? With a club like PSG, where some players are basically undroppable, and they're buying in expensive, finished articles who need no coaching, then oddly enough their ideal manager is probably someone like Wenger - a manager who never rotates his team, and spends all his time telling his players that they're great, and shielding them from criticism (Neymar would probably love him). Whereas someone like Emery, who is more about details and challenging players to improve, even if it means hard work and taking them out of their comfort zone, might be welcomed at Arsenal with open arms (I know a lot of Gooners will scoff at that, thinking that the current Arsenal squad is literally Comfort made manifest, but I think think the truth is that a lot of our players simply look lost, and have been crying out for clear direction for a long time now)? At any rate, it clearly wasn't a good fit for PSG's room full of super-egos.

I guess you just have to hope that the club have done their homework properly, and that the talk of the directors being blown away by the depth and detail of Emery's presentation are accurate. If that particular story is true then it's encouraging, because you don't just put together a presentation like that overnight - it's something he will have been thinking about and preparing for a while, meaning that he will have been aware of our interest for a while, and that this appointment isn't just a panicky, last-minute 180.
    Apparently Emery prepares the videos himself. He spends up to 12 hours editing and preparing videos for a 1 hour team meeting

And I trust Ivan + SAS with this appointment. They have been pretty robust and ruthless in what they've done so far. I've been impressed with the way they have made backroom changes, let players go etc. We finally seem to have a bit of competence making decisions at the club.

ISAS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Goonermerree View Post
    To be honest, which manager who has won the CL would have come to Arsenal out of the current batch? I think they're already in posts. Sometimes you have to appoint lower than you would like and hope that it comes good.
    He's got to be a better appointment then Rogers would have been and he was top of the list for a while.
    I think we're increasingly going the to see the top clubs hiring coaches based on ideas, innovation, energy and 'fit' rather than experience and reputation. They may be in the minority at the moment, but the success of guys like Nagelsmann and Tedesco won't have gone unnoticed by boards throughout Europe - neither had so much as a single game of managerial experience before they took on their current roles (I'm not sure they even had professional playing careers either?), and yet they've both rocked out CL finishes in every season that they've bene in charge so far.

Part of me's actually a little disappointed that we've shied away from Arteta (assuming that's what's happened, and he hasn't simply decided to stay with Pep for another couple of years for his development) - it felt like a very modern, progressive move, and that we were actually getting ahead of the curve for once, but hopefully Emery will be more than happy to fit into the same kind of structure, and still will bring plenty of fresh ideas and energy with him...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Le Grove in tears

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He wasn't the right coach for PSG and their climate. It's clear from everything I've read he was way too detailed and meticulous for those pretentious, egotistical PSG players. Neymar didn't warm to his video analysis and pre-match prep because it was deemed long and detailed imagine that, poor little Neymar actually having to listen to instructions and being told what to do

Whereas at Arsenal it's completely different. After years of laissez-faire Wenger we need a meticulous manager to come in and dissect every aspect.

Sometimes profiles just don't match and I think Emery is more suited to an underdog type club like Sevilla, Arsenal, Valencia etc i.e. a club with restricted resources that has plenty to prove where his work can really take effect, instead of the PSG's and Real Madrid's of the world with a dressing room full of uncooperative, pampered prima donnas.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hobson's choice View Post
    Let me see Sevilla never finished in the top 4 with him. Lost the title to Monaco last year. For all the tactical genius crap, somehow blew a 4-1 lead to Barca last year. His team got embarrassed by a pretty average Madrid team.

Couldn't deal with Neymar, and essentially let him do what ever he wanted too on the pitch. And can't speak English.

Yeah, great hire.
    Would you have preferred Arteta?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apparently Emery prepares the videos himself. He spends up to 12 hours editing and preparing videos for a 1 hour team meeting

And I trust Ivan + SAS with this appointment. They have been pretty robust and ruthless in what they've done so far. I've been impressed with the way they have made backroom changes, let players go etc. We finally seem to have a bit of competence making decisions at the club.

ISAS
    I kind of think the backroom changes are the most important part of all this: the permanent / long-term hires who will form the backbone of the club's footballing identity going forward, and who will be responsible for things like basic training and tactics, technical competence, physical conditioning and mentality. The way I'm hoping it will work is that each new first team coach will come in and take us top the next level in terms of ideas and innovation - if it works then our permanent coaching team will then absorb these new ideas and add them to our basic coaching standards for the next generation, so our footballing identity is constantly progressing and evolving.

(This is where I thought we might be looking at someone like Buvac - not as the first team coach or even their assistant, but perhaps as a one of the permanent, background hires? A sort of director-level coaching role that sits somewhere alongside Sanllehi and Mislintat in the new structure?)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I am invisible View Post
    I kind of think the backroom changes are the most important part of all this: the permanent / long-term hires who will form the backbone of the club's footballing identity going forward, and who will be responsible for things like basic training and tactics, technical competence, physical conditioning and mentality. The way I'm hoping it will work is that each new first team coach will come in and take us top the next level in terms of ideas and innovation - if it works then our permanent coaching team will then absorb these new ideas and add them to our basic coaching standards for the next generation, so our footballing identity is constantly progressing and evolving.

(This is where I thought we might be looking at someone like Buvac - not as the first team coach or even their assistant, but perhaps as a one of the permanent, background hires? A sort of director-level coaching role that sits somewhere alongside Sanllehi and Mislintat in the new structure?)
    Hopefully Emery brings his no2. He's a terrier that doesn't stop barking orders. Exactly what we need.