User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Match Reaction: Leicester 3-1 Random Team

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall Quinn View Post
    I think Huddersfield will be fucked from those two games. They worked unbelievably hard in both ties with little of the ball and having to cover a lot of ground, chasing, organising and defending.

Both of their points were achieved through heart and hard work. They then cancelled their flight and went back by coach so they could drink beer.

Lots and lots of beer.
    So you're saying we could nick a draw?
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall_Quinn View Post
    So you're saying we could nick a draw?
    Steady on!
    If you don’t send this signature to ten people, you will become a Spurs fan.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would be kinda funny if we lose.
    Honestly don’t think it will have any bearing on next season.
    Wenger setting records right till the end

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are an offensive team thats why we cant defend
    Im quoting wenger, not espousing true logic

Wenger sees himself as the Pablo Picasso of football. Delivering art is the aim. What if the result looks like the team effort of a dozen dyslexic 10 year olds?

It means you fail to grasp the true essence of beauty.

We dont plan for what happens when we lose the ball. that pretty obvious. Wenger believes our players are so superior that we dont have to defend. When we are surprisingly on the defensive, its panic time. No one knows what to do because we havent trained for it.

So glad he`s leaving
    Make 2mrw better than 2day

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Off the ball work is the key task facing the new coach IMO. It shouldn't be difficult to form an efficient attack with the forwards we have but getting the team to defend as a unit, cover spaces, press and generally be more tactically aware is going to be difficult. Things they've seldom been trained to do.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it though? I mean, I think they're basically good players. Is it really so hard to get them into a defensive unit?
    I wouldn't say any of the old back 4 were superstars - don't think there were loads of England caps between them - but they were coached into a good defensive unit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I imagine asking these players to change their way of thinking while still maintaining an attacking philosophy is not going to be easy, yes.

I expect our progress next year to be slow. It won’t get any worse than it is now but I don’t think there will be a dramatic upturn in fortunes for us, unless the new guy is a miracle worker.

The competition is very strong now and it will take time to gain a level footing again. Liverpool are constantly improving, Spurs are consistent and Chelsea will no doubt come again as they always do after a down year. The Manchester clubs clearly aren’t going anywhere either, so another year out of the top 4 is plausible but at the very least you’d hope we can be competitive again.
    Last edited by Marc Overmars; 10-05-2018 at 07:19 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    I imagine asking these players to change their way of thinking while still maintaining an attacking philosophy is not going to be easy, yes.

I expect our progress next year to be slow. It won’t get any worse than it is now but I don’t think there will be a dramatic upturn in fortunes for us, unless the new guy is a miracle worker.

The competition is very strong now and it will take time to gain a level footing again. Liverpool are constantly improving, Spurs are consistent and Chelsea will no doubt come again as they always do after a down year. The Manchester clubs clearly aren’t going anywhere either, so another year out of the top 4 is plausible but at the very least you’d hope we can be competitive again.
    I agree I don't think we will be getting a title challenge on but perhaps we should be expecting to get 70+ points next season - we are currently on 60. If 70+ points is still outside the CL places then so be it, if City get 100 points again then there is not much we can do about that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    Is it though? I mean, I think they're basically good players. Is it really so hard to get them into a defensive unit?
    I wouldn't say any of the old back 4 were superstars - don't think there were loads of England caps between them - but they were coached into a good defensive unit.
    Agree with you on this. We don't even have to go as far back as the Graham days. This same team have had games where they've defended well and it's part of the game plan. The Chelsea FA Cup win springs to mind or that time we ripped Man Utd in the first half and then shut up shop for the second.

The problem with Wenger is that he seemed to think to play attacking football you must sacrifice defensive cover. A sort of acceptance. But when he set us up not to concede, we'd often come away looking solid. Heck, we've even had games where we've pressed high up the pitch and defended as a unit. That other Chelsea game is an example. We've done it a few times against top opponents but never maintain. I think we have capable players. Those aren't up to par can easily be shipped out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall Quinn View Post
    Steady on!
    exactly - having just saved themselves they'll be walking on air and wanting to give the home crowd something to cheer about

they can't usually score many goals but i'm sure we'll oblige so 2-1 Huddersfield is my guess