Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
I know. And by the end I wanted him gone too - for his own good as much as ours.

Which would be fine had they not, every time I pointed out that obviously he's not the worst manager around, say I was "sucking his cock" and double down on the assertion.
Which is why I'm now taking the opportunity to say "I bloody told you so!"

Yes, that could be proof of how terrible he is. Or it could be that...he's 70.
As (I think it was) MO said, how many people are better at doing their job in their 60s than they were in their 30s and 40s?
You often use the fact that he's not managed since us as a smoking gun of something. Clearly at 70 he's not at the peak of his powers.
But was he as bad as you claimed? The results since he left shows that no, no he wasn't.

So we had a big, terrible squad, a manager with all the failings you site and yet it was only in his last season we were far short of the top 4. I'm sure that makes sense in your head somewhere.
maybe he just means relatively terrible compared to the invincibles... although I hope its obvious that the squad cant be terrible and finish 6th. the squad wasn't as good as it should be.

as you say though... Emery should be easy to get rid of... no history, no credit in the bank. a very good summer of transfers and yet we are worse. it can only be down to the manager. buy a player for 70m then pick a formation that he doesn't fit in to. pay a guy 350k a week and only play him when you have no real choice and its obvious there is no creativity in the side.

defensively we are still weak and we don't even have mustafi to blame anymore.