User Tag List

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: All things Wenger

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suppose for the sake of consistency - I set up this thread initially because I was getting a bit sick of all the vitriol and thought it was good to keep the Arsenal section a bit more pure and forward-looking.
    I don't care as much as I did but as there was an ongoing conversation I thought I'd just move the whole lot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SMatthews View Post
    Good luck to the man.

Milan stand about as much chance of winning the Italian title as every other team that isn’t Juventus. Which is pretty much zero. If he can get them into the CL on a regular basis again and help restore their status as a club big players would want to play for then I’m sure they’ll be happy.
    Let's hope we draw Milan in the last 16 of the CL whenever we get back into it, it will be a free bye to the next round!

There's no reason why Milan couldn't challenge Juve, they have the history, the finances, they just need a decent manager who signs the right players now, you can't take the attitude that there's no way you can challenge them so why bother or you'll never win anything.

Getting into the top 4 in Italy isn't hard to be honest, like I said there's 2 maximum 3 decent teams, so there's one or two places up for grabs for anyone it's no great achievement, they sit in 4th place at the moment in fact.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    I suppose for the sake of consistency - I set up this thread initially because I was getting a bit sick of all the vitriol and thought it was good to keep the Arsenal section a bit more pure and forward-looking.
    I don't care as much as I did but as there was an ongoing conversation I thought I'd just move the whole lot.
    That's pretty weak because we don't move discussions on former players what they're doing after they've moved on. You're sick of the conversation but it shouldn't be up to you to move a topic to back pages so it can't be seen. Wenger and Gazidis are still part of the Arsenal fabric and considering the last few years we have had, it shouldn't be moved to a non Arsenal section.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Özim View Post
    Let's hope we draw Milan in the last 16 of the CL whenever we get back into it, it will be a free bye to the next round!

There's no reason why Milan couldn't challenge Juve, they have the history, the finances, they just need a decent manager who signs the right players now, you can't take the attitude that there's no way you can challenge them so why bother or you'll never win anything.

Getting into the top 4 in Italy isn't hard to be honest, like I said there's 2 maximum 3 decent teams, so there's one or two places up for grabs for anyone it's no great achievement, they sit in 4th place at the moment in fact.
    Look at the recent list of managers and players they’ve bought. They’ve languished in mid-table for so long that they are no longer the draw they once were, money or not. That’s why they and everyone else can barely touch Juve as the league isn’t a draw in general. CL football and being able pay big money is the combination they need to restore their status. Milan haven’t finished in the top four since 2013. They’ve had foreign money since 2016 but haven’t done much. Look how easily we rolled them over last season. Shows getting into the top 4 in Italy isn’t that easy and money doesn’t guarantee an automatic route to glory.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Neil Bamfield and Boro Primorac, goalkeeping coach Gerry Peyton and fitness coach Tony Colbert, will all be licking their lips. "Lets get the old gang together again. This time over pasta"
    Make 2mrw better than 2day

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Power n Glory View Post
    it shouldn't be up to you to move a topic to back pages so it can't be seen.
    It shouldn't be up to a mod to make moderation decisions?
    Can't be seen? This isn't some backwater part of the forum and I put in both this thread and the one it came from a message what I'd done so people could continue the conversation.
    You clearly found it OK...

Wenger and Gazidis are still part of the Arsenal fabric and considering the last few years we have had, it shouldn't be moved to a non Arsenal section.
    I disagree. Neither are employed by the club so what they do now is nothing to do with Arsenal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Each club has their own approach and vision on how they want to function but I just can’t understand why Wenger isn’t going all out for titles and that CL trophy at this point in his career. If Arsenal was such hard work and he felt he suffered and stayed too long, why go through that again?
    The CL is a closed shop and frankly so are most of the top domestic leagues. We're only talking about 4 or 5 clubs really if guaranteed titles and a possible CL is on offer and Wenger is never going to be considered good enough for them now.

An underachieving club with potential (like Milan) suits his style of management and reputation I think. If he succeeds he'll go down as the man who woke a sleeping giant, if he fails it will barely be a footnote in his career. Nothing to lose.
    Last edited by Marc Overmars; 06-11-2018 at 04:30 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    It shouldn't be up to a mod to make moderation decisions?
    Can't be seen? This isn't some backwater part of the forum and I put in both this thread and the one it came from a message what I'd done so people could continue the conversation.
    You clearly found it OK...

I disagree. Neither are employed by the club so what they do now is nothing to do with Arsenal.
    It's a personal decision because you can't stand when people take swipes at Wenger. We've had discussions about Gazidis in the Arsenal section after he left. Sanchez and former players are mocked on a regular basis in these sections. But it's cool. You're a mod. Do as you please and continue to kill the site. Isn't this the same thing that caused NQ to leave?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do as you please and continue to kill the site.
    Oh please. If you want I can dig out the stats of posts per day going back to the beginning.
    You'll see there's been a slow and steady decline since its peak over 10 years ago.
    I don't believe that's because of anything I or any of the other mods have done, it's just that messageboards as a thing are mostly declining, people argue and troll on FB and Twitter and so on these days.
    I'll admit that I don't know what I'm doing with online marketing, if anyone does and they can work on Google ranks and other ways of publicising the site in a way which might invigorate the place then great.
    But if you really think that me moving a few posts is "killing the site" when the moderation here is pretty much non-existent most of the time then I'd suggest you're being a bit silly.
    Other boards I've looked at have far stricter moderation.

Isn't this the same thing that caused NQ to leave?
    Sort of. He was actually banned (not by me) because he became so unpleasant.
    The root of him becoming so was me moving some posts and creating this thread.
    And pretty much everyone who expressed an opinion couldn't believe he had such an over-reaction to it.
    I mean, you don't agree with what I've done which is fine, but you're just having a moan, you're not calling me every name under the sun and being really nasty about it.

Does it really matter? I'm not censoring anyone, no posts were deleted, I explained what I did and the conversation has continued.
    This IS the right place to talk about Wenger - and yes, I guess I should apply that consistently but I generally don't bother, I did on this occasion because it was turning into a more protracted conversation and I noticed (I don't always).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SMatthews View Post
    Look at the recent list of managers and players they’ve bought. They’ve languished in mid-table for so long that they are no longer the draw they once were, money or not. That’s why they and everyone else can barely touch Juve as the league isn’t a draw in general. CL football and being able pay big money is the combination they need to restore their status. Milan haven’t finished in the top four since 2013. They’ve had foreign money since 2016 but haven’t done much. Look how easily we rolled them over last season. Shows getting into the top 4 in Italy isn’t that easy and money doesn’t guarantee an automatic route to glory.
    Yes very true, they've got a terrible record of bringing in awful managers, they're a very poor side, but spent a fortune was recently, they just don't seem to be able to employ decent managers, if they had they'd be top 4 for sure.

Money can guarantee some success, but you need to pick good managers as well, Milan seem to pick managers that are former players with little experience in management which hasn't worked very well for them, a decent manager would certainly have them challenging Napoli and possibly run Juve close, that man isn't Wenger of course as the best he can get is top 4, anything else is beyond him.