Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Stephan Lichtsteiner (official)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    He’s the Swiss captain.
    NOTE: The location of this post has been moved and the thread title (which was previously Wenger is Leaving) has been manipulated by a notorious pro-Wenger moderator. What was previously a message that contained no profanity and made a comment on a real life event has now been manipulated by a deliberately provocative title. An old and crude propaganda and censorship technique.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Zim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    not an exciting signing but how many exciting signings are we really going to make this summer. we are in the Europa so unlikely to sign the absolute top drawer players that we have heard of. its a decent signing that fills a gap in the squad. even as a full back he should be able to help the 3 young CBs we have. I don't think the fact he was with a team that won 7 consecutive league titles will really make a difference. England is a much more competitive league and Arsenal aren't as good as Juve and have no way of being able to dominate in the same way.

still its a signing and leaves plenty of money in our war chest to strengthen elsewhere. If Unai can get the defense organised that's half the battle and sell Mustafi.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've got to buy according to our needs, not that of other clubs, and most of our current needs happen to be relatively unexciting at the moment... new GK... experienced CB who brings a bit of leadership... backup RB... DM / DLP. Basically all of the work-horse roles.

We arguably have plenty of star players (or potential stars) at the club already (although a tricky winger would still be welcome) - what we desperately need is something solid and reliable to build the flair around. An injection of those unglamorous, predictable, 7/10-every-week players, who can carry us through those games or moments when nothing is going our way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    He’s the Swiss captain.
    My mistake

Having said that I wasn't far off, he may as well not go to the World Cup as Switzerland are rubbish!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I am invisible View Post
    We've got to buy according to our needs, not that of other clubs, and most of our current needs happen to be relatively unexciting at the moment... new GK... experienced CB who brings a bit of leadership... backup RB... DM / DLP. Basically all of the work-horse roles.

We arguably have plenty of star players (or potential stars) at the club already (although a tricky winger would still be welcome) - what we desperately need is something solid and reliable to build the flair around. An injection of those unglamorous, predictable, 7/10-every-week players, who can carry us through those games or moments when nothing is going our way.
    These signings could be excited ift they were players we could genuinely look at and think they could make a big difference, Oblak for example as a keeper would be a very exciting signing, CB wise if we got someone Giminez that would be pretty good, it all depends on the players, the guys we're getting are basically getting on so not players you're going to build a team with really hence the reason we're not overly excited.

Administrator McNamara That Ghost...'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Özim View Post
    Took us a bit of time to get this guy signed up, which considering he had no club and wasn't going to the world cup is surprising. Hoping it doesn't take long to sign more players.
    Eh?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These signings could be excited ift they were players we could genuinely look at and think they could make a big difference, Oblak for example as a keeper would be a very exciting signing, CB wise if we got someone Giminez that would be pretty good, it all depends on the players, the guys we're getting are basically getting on so not players you're going to build a team with really hence the reason we're not overly excited.
    I think Sokratis looks a great fit for the league, and I have a feeling the fans will warm to him pretty quickly - he's just not a terribly long-term signing, so it's hard to see him lasting too much beyond these first few, post-wenger transition years.

With both him and Lichtsteiner though, I'm looking at them in terms of what they can do for players like Bellerin and Mavropanos as much as what they can do themselves on the pitch. And it will probably be the same if we end up going for an older DM like N'zonzi - I'll expect them to be able to do a job for a couple of years, but I'll also be looking to see what happens with someone like AMN, if he has a proper mentor and role model there.

But yeah, I totally get that it's not that exciting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After putting up with our shambles at the back, having an experienced defender who's won stuff and knows what he's doing is pretty exciting to me - if half this is true then Lichtsteiner's a good signing:

https://www.arsenal.com/news/analysi...einer-will-add
    Last edited by Mac76; 07-06-2018 at 12:51 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think if Wenger had bought a 34 year old on a free we would have been going ballistic, but we have to trust the new guy and hope he knows what he's doing. If we're in on near the relegation zone by Christmas

I'm actually now looking forward to the new season more than the WC given the pubbers we have in the England squad.