User Tag List

Thread: Ideas to improve the World Cup

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ideas to improve the World Cup

Since watching the 1994 world cup final being decided on penalties. I have thought long and hard on things that could be done to improve the game both as a contest as well as a spectacle. Here are some ideas of mine. You can make up your mind if they are barmy or not

1. Squad use: I would rule that every member of the squad must start at least 1 of the 3 group games. Ie if you decide to take 3 keepers, then each must start 1 game, likewise for the other outfield players. Logic being, if they are good enough to get selected, then they must be good enough to play. In the KO rounds normal rules will apply

2. For the final game of the group games. I would add a pre game coin toss witnessed by a member of each teams delegation and an independent auditor like Delloiite. The idea being that a toss would decide who takes the points if the game ends in a draw, after extra time. This will give both teams incentive to win the game rather than play to a draw. the 3 persons who witnessed the toss would be kept isolated from everyone else for the duration of the game. Only they know who won the toss and not the teams on the pitch. All they know is that if they dont win, they might lose.

3. KO rounds: If a game goes into extra time, the managers are allowed 1 extra sub during each half. Also during extra time. I player from each side is taken off at random every 10 minutes. The player removed is selected by a live draw. (numbers in a bowl and pulled out by a 10 year old). Idea being fewer players creates more space on the field and more goal opportunities. Teams then wont play for a draw from the off, or play for pens either.
    Make 2mrw better than 2day

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the first idea, brilliant, it would introduce a whole new tactical aspect as managers worked out who to use and when

but on subs, i thought there already was a rule allowing one more in extra time, or is that the Champions League?

Administrator McNamara That Ghost...'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is not going to improve it is a further sixteen teams, it's going to extend the tournament far more than is already needed really.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe what's needed is a pre tournament, tournament. Where the lowest ranked 16 teams whittle themselves down to 4 who will be added to the WC proper.
    Make 2mrw better than 2day