User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: World Cup 2026

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    Yeah, they tried that in '94. Didn't really work. You can't force a sport on a population who mostly don't care about it. These things are ingrained culturally.
    What worries me is this might revive all the c**p they talked about last time it was in the USA - like having quarters instead of halves, kick-ins instead of throw-ins - oh well i guess it gives the old blazers at FIFA something to do inbetween getting drunk and harrassing hotel maids etc

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Football is far more popular in the US that it was in the 90s.

It's still miles behind their own rubbish sports, but it's growing fast.
    NOTE: The location of this post has been moved and the thread title (which was previously Wenger is Leaving) has been manipulated by a notorious pro-Wenger moderator. What was previously a message that contained no profanity and made a comment on a real life event has now been manipulated by a deliberately provocative title. An old and crude propaganda and censorship technique.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    See, these guys get it.

NOTE: The location of this post has been moved and the thread title (which was previously Wenger is Leaving) has been manipulated by a notorious pro-Wenger moderator. What was previously a message that contained no profanity and made a comment on a real life event has now been manipulated by a deliberately provocative title. An old and crude propaganda and censorship technique.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It will probably never grow enough to rival the likes of NFL, NBA etc but there’s still a fairly big interest in it that should be exploited. You’ll be surprised at how knowledgable some American fans are. Whenever I’ve been over there I’ve always had interesting conversations with people who love the game and have plenty of in depth things to say about it.
    Last edited by Marc Overmars; 13-06-2018 at 03:35 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GP View Post
    Football is far more popular in the US that it was in the 90s.

It's still miles behind their own rubbish sports, but it's growing fast.
    well i must admit think baseball is a great game, and great fun to go and watch, but American shiteball is the biggest pile of turd ever

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac76 View Post
    well i must admit think baseball is a great game, and great fun to go and watch, but American shiteball is the biggest pile of turd ever
    You enjoy Baseball?

I went to see the Yankees last year and had to leave after an hour and a half, I literally had no fucking clue what was going on and there were so many commercials between plays. The stop-start nature of a lot of American sports makes them horrible to follow for the uninitiated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    You enjoy Baseball?

I went to see the Yankees last year and had to leave after an hour and a half, I literally had no fucking clue what was going on and there were so many commercials between plays. The stop-start nature of a lot of American sports makes them horrible to follow for the uninitiated.
    The pauses works ok in baseball but it's certainly one od the many aspects of american cackball that makes me hate it so much

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    You enjoy Baseball?

One of my favourite Simpsons jokes is from the episode where he gives up drink and goes to a game for the first time sober:
    "I never realised how boring this game was before"

American sport is too stop start but quite like hockey and basketball. Seen both at MSG, didn't entirely understand what was going on and it doesn't have the tribal nature of "soccer". Quite good fun though.