User Tag List

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718
Results 171 to 178 of 178

Thread: South Korea v Germany/Mexico v Sweden, 15:00 BST, BBC1/BBC2

  1. #171
    *****
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    57,394
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Power n Glory View Post
    Woe is Ozil. Always the victim of circumstance. He's just not an elite player that's able to effect the outcome of a game. Plenty of deeply flawed squads in the competition but most of Ozil's peers have found a way to make an impact despite the circumstances. Even Granit Xhaka!
    One player in a team can't be responsible for failure across the board, unless he's kicking the ball in his own net every match. This is obvious, but doesn't in any way deter the anti-Ozil campaigners. If he was as shit as the rest, he was as shit as the rest. But singling him out as some sort of cause is nonsensical. The German style of play was the cancer. From a progressive and attacking team to a Spanish style bore machine, tapping it around aimlessly, sideways, backwards, at 1 mph, like most of the terrible teams in this competition. The new football. I'll agree, like the rest of them, his life is way too easy. But that goes for every modern footballer. Paid the earth and they can't even be bothered to run.

  2. #172
    Member Power n Glory's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    13,806
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall_Quinn View Post
    One player in a team can't be responsible for failure across the board, unless he's kicking the ball in his own net every match. This is obvious, but doesn't in any way deter the anti-Ozil campaigners. If he was as shit as the rest, he was as shit as the rest. But singling him out as some sort of cause is nonsensical. The German style of play was the cancer. From a progressive and attacking team to a Spanish style bore machine, tapping it around aimlessly, sideways, backwards, at 1 mph, like most of the terrible teams in this competition. The new football. I'll agree, like the rest of them, his life is way too easy. But that goes for every modern footballer. Paid the earth and they can't even be bothered to run.
    But that's not the argument. One player can't be held responsible for a teams failure but we've seen it when one player turns a game on it's head with an inspired moment that changes the outcome of a game.

    Ozil just isn't the sort of player described by the original poster I was responding to. Modern game has it's problems but if you're watching the tournament, you'll see examples of players stepping up when the going gets tough despite a poor overall performance.

  3. #173
    Administrator Letters's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    23,639
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Power n Glory View Post
    But that's not the argument. One player can't be held responsible for a teams failure but we've seen it when one player turns a game on it's head with an inspired moment that changes the outcome of a game..
    And like I said, and I admit I only saw some highlights, but the bit I did see Ozil put in a perfect cross, the bloke in the middle let it come off his shoulder when it was easier to score. So why all the finger pointing at Ozil? I don’t understand this agenda against him. Top of his CV is creating chances, he has created a shit-ton for Arsenal, he put one on a plate for Germany the other day. Once the ball leaves his boot he’s done his bit. If the player in the middle can’t finish it off then unless the ball went over his head because of a poor cross then why all the scowling at Ozil?
    It’s like having a top ‘keeper but a crap defence and then as the defence lets the opposition get through them time and again to have one on ones with the keeper, blaming him for letting in goals.
    Maybe Ozil isn’t the player you were expecting but with the sort of service he gives now we have some top strikers they should be filling their boots next season.

  4. #174
    Administrator Letters's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    23,639
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, something to cheer the Germans up

    http://newsthump.com/2018/06/28/germ...966-world-cup/


  5. #175
    *****
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    57,394
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Low has gone into this tournament with his balls left at home for safekeeping. Evidently he thought you can just keep rolling out the same same and you'll get the same result. So he ditches young talent (which is what brought Germany back from near extinction last time, btw) and plays it safe. Ends up with a team of jaded has-beens and they get their arses kicked by mildly enthusiastic rivals. Manager's fault 100%. The players aren't actually up to it any more and they can't play the shitty tippety tap style that seems obligatory these days. So they can't get a toe hold anywhere and finish up bottom and out on their arse. Deserved.

    Meanwhile Ozil has made 7 chances in that game while Neymar has made 11 in three games. Ozil left the tournament as the highest creator of chances and maker of key passes. Which is,.. his job. But he's shit because he didn't score from an overhead kick on the halfway line. Then again, he's not a striker. Those shitty no-talent guys Germany fielded (for some reason), Gomez and that other abomination (can't remember his name) couldn't hit the side of a barn with their own arse. How is Gomez playing at a world cup? And Meuller is so past-it you need a telescope to find him.

    Low is to blame. He fucked this up beyond belief and it's probably the easiest tournament since the world cup began, brimming with shit. I don't know if he's resigned yet - he certainly should. Never wanted him at Arsenal, though I wasn't sure why. Now I know. He keeps his balls in the same vault as Wenger.

  6. #176
    Member Power n Glory's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    13,806
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    And like I said, and I admit I only saw some highlights, but the bit I did see Ozil put in a perfect cross, the bloke in the middle let it come off his shoulder when it was easier to score. So why all the finger pointing at Ozil? I don’t understand this agenda against him. Top of his CV is creating chances, he has created a shit-ton for Arsenal, he put one on a plate for Germany the other day. Once the ball leaves his boot he’s done his bit. If the player in the middle can’t finish it off then unless the ball went over his head because of a poor cross then why all the scowling at Ozil?
    It’s like having a top ‘keeper but a crap defence and then as the defence lets the opposition get through them time and again to have one on ones with the keeper, blaming him for letting in goals.
    Maybe Ozil isn’t the player you were expecting but with the sort of service he gives now we have some top strikers they should be filling their boots next season.
    Poor comparison. A goalkeeper has a restricted role and can only make saves but that's still enough to save a poor defence. See De Gea. Even a last minute penalty save can earn a keeper the sort of plaudits I'm talking about. And this is a very restricted role. The keeper has the most restricted role on the pitch.

    Ozil is an attacking player. Creating chances isn't the only way to get the job done. You've seen Cesc Fabregas, you've seen Bergkamp. We've seen how the best change the outcome of a game so no need to go into react depth.

    We've already spoken about the quality of the chances Ozil creates. I hardly ever see him put a player through for a clear one on one with a wonder pass that seems like an undeniable opportunity. The best chances usually come from a cross. That's OK. That seems to be his most powerful weopon in terms of setting up chances. If we were to check the stats, I'm sure there would be a high percentage of crosses and cut backs in there. You know who that reminds me of? Stewart Downing. Jesus Navas. Wingers who could only create chances from crosses and that was their most effective tool for a game. Never in million years would anyone put those guys next to a Robben, Pires, Overmars.. etc. Do I have to explain why?

  7. #177
    Member Power n Glory's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    13,806
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The chance creation stat is the equivalent to the passing percentages Wenger used to quote. It doesn't equate to winning games. You guys need to cut it. Why are you even looking at chance creation stats or Neymar for that matter? Why aren't you comparing Ozil to Coutinho? Neymar's disappointing performances is why he's being written off as overrated. Maybe the Ozil comparison is applicable in that case.

  8. #178
    Administrator Letters's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    23,639
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Power n Glory View Post
    The chance creation stat is the equivalent to the passing percentages Wenger used to quote. It doesn't equate to winning games.
    Well, that depends on the quality of the chances created and the quality of the strikers who the chances fall to.
    In the Korea game Ozil put one on a plate and the player in the middle. Yes, it was a cross but so what? A good cross results in a good chance, if the chance is missed then why would anyone point the finger at the player who delivered the ball?
    I remember that Southampton game where I think Ozil broke the PL record for chances created in a game. Yes, mostly crosses but, again, so what? We drew that game 0-0 but Ozil couldn't have done more to help us win.

    I'm not clear what you're expecting from Ozil and not seeing. Some criticisms about performances in some big games and workrate are probably valid, but he does seem to be singled out for criticism far more than it's deserved, IMO.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •