Quote Originally Posted by Master Splinter View Post
So England win two pre-season friendlies against non-League opponents and then lose the Community Shield against the Belgium Bench XI.

I know it's expected for the English media to be mindlessly patriotic, but how can you infer anything worthwhile from these results? Tunisia's best player is a Sunderland reject and they barely beat them. Panama's best player probably plays for Alaska F.C. and it shows. The fact England barely create anything from open play and still look nervy at the back despite the non-competitive opposition so far should be the biggest worries.

The draw might work in their favour, especially if James is injured. But even Japan would have been a massive step up on the basis that they have a professional setup. England are the same limited, unimaginative outfit lacking the required technical ability of a decent side and a couple of wins against dross doesn't change that. If they show something different in the upcoming game or games, I'll be the first to admit I didn't see it coming.