I don't like the comparisons to Veratti and Cazorla I've heard but I do get it. What I love about him is the fact he doesn't dwell on the ball too long. He receives it and gives it in quick succession which is contrary to one of the most detestable features of our game at it's worse, when we simply do not move the ball around quickly enough.

I'm not being a naysayer and I do think he helps to mute some of Xhaka's deficiencies but I think Xhaka's good game was as much to do with Newcastle sitting off us in the second half. We know he is at his worst when he is pressed and Newcastle really didn't press us in the areas he operates in in any meaningful way meaning he had time and space on the ball.

I would always prefer a midfielder like Dembele (prior to this season....I think he's actually done now) to Xhaka as Demeble at his best is incredibly strong and incredibly resistant to being pressed.

If Torreira is tactically the best midfielder after Busquets, Emery really hasn't received the memo! I would virtually sacrifice any player in the first team to make way for Torreira right now. Such is his intelligence I have to remind myself he's actually a very young player at 22.