Page 36 of 38 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 LastLast

Thread: Croatia v England, 19:00 BST, ITV

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac76 View Post
    so actually he isn't world class either

modric and mandzukic have been patchy throughout but came up with enough to win it

our players will always be limited in what they can do or achieve until they grow their ambitions, lose their xenophobia and play abroad - fat chance of that though...
    I don't know why you keep saying they should go abroad and belittling them for not doing so. Firstly, most foreigners come here, probably the money and maybe they perceive it to be a good league to play in. Secondly, they might just like living in their own country near their friends and family. Owen went to RM and I believe that contributed in his career nose- diving. Beckham could barely get a game there in the end either.
    Last edited by Goonermerree; 12-07-2018 at 05:53 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    We desperately lack a playmaker. It’s quite incredible really that England got this far without scoring hardly any goals from open passages of play.

Kane is an excellent striker but without the service he’s not going to be up to much. Sterling for all his effort was ordinary and Alli was just shit, 2 key positions that we fell woefully short in.
    I thought Sterling had his best performance in the first half, their defence couldn't handle his pace.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SMatthews View Post

The problem now is that expectancy levels have ramped back up once again and the feeling amongst most England fans will be that they should be winning Euro’s and WC’s going forward.
    Actually, we won two WC last year with the youngsters, so there is hope coming through. They need to get game time though at the top level in the prem, will they get it? I know one of the kids was going to sign up for a German club.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We desperately lack a playmaker. It’s quite incredible really that England got this far without scoring hardly any goals from open passages of play.

Kane is an excellent striker but without the service he’s not going to be up to much. Sterling for all his effort was ordinary and Alli was just shit, 2 key positions that we fell woefully short in.
    Kane had two or the best chances of the game. He should have done better with both. When we needed a goal he kept dropping deep. I'd see Rashford or Rose trying to attack from wide areas but Kane nowhere to be found when on the final third.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac76 View Post
    our players will always be limited in what they can do or achieve until they grow their ambitions, lose their xenophobia and play abroad - fat chance of that though...
    You think they play in England because they’re xenophobic?
    Isn’t it just that they are pretty average and big European clubs are not clamouring for their signature.

I do think Kane is world class, a poor performance last night doesn’t change that. He could do with some better players around him though

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Power n Glory View Post
    Kane had two or the best chances of the game. He should have done better with both. When we needed a goal he kept dropping deep. I'd see Rashford or Rose trying to attack from wide areas but Kane nowhere to be found when on the final third.
    I agree that was frustrating. It’s one of the reasons why I’m not sold on strikers being captains, sometimes you just want them to be selfish and have had tunnel vision when it comes to scoring a goal. You don’t always need them trying to be all action and helping the team out in areas that are already covered.

It was the same limited performance that we’ve seen throughout the tournament only this time we couldn’t rely on set pieces and crosses.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree that was frustrating. It’s one of the reasons why I’m not sold on strikers being captains, sometimes you just want them to be selfish and have had tunnel vision when it comes to scoring a goal. You don’t always need them trying to be all action and helping the team out in areas that are already covered.
    I totally agree, you need someone who can see the bigger picture so they can organise defence and midfield

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trains were quiet this morning, lots of people licking their wounds after last night I guess

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hopefully we don't have to wait another 22 years before reaching a semi final. You'd hope the experience of actually winning knockout games breaks down the mental barrier.
    Last edited by Marc Overmars; 12-07-2018 at 08:01 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, and the win on pens is a psychological thing broken too.
    I don't buy the "They're a young side, in 4 years they'll have grown" argument though. It rarely works out that way - remember when we were getting excited about a young Arsenal side who were doing well in the league cup.
    That lot never came through and achieved anything.

At least I've enjoyed watching them play in this tournament. They're a side that can pass to one another and there's a bit of spirit about them. They just don't have the quality in depth. People like Vardy and Welbeck on the bench is a clue