Best assistant manager: Thierry Henry

Best pundit: Arsene Wenger

Best unused subtitute: Welbz

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Splinter View Post
    Have you just recently started watching sport?
    Ha, no, i'm just naive enough to think standards are supposed to be getting better...

Me:
    Last edited by Mac76; 16-07-2018 at 07:44 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    The penalty was a bit harsh but I don’t think the balance of play was so heavily in Croatia’s favour to say the best team lost. Just sounds like glorious failure to me from a nice and functional team but with no real and consistent threat in the final third. I don’t think they would have got anywhere near the final without being in the pub side of the draw and even en route to this final they made it a real struggle going to penalties and extra time in every game.

Meh, ordinary team with a few tidy players.

France are deserving winners.
    C'mon, Croatia completely bossed it for a good 60 mins, but inevitably the ref's interventions turned the game because they had to try to come from behind

It's not the team with the best players that deserves to win, it's the team that plays the best football, consistently, and Croatia was that team for me, take the point about the draw but they still had a much harder route than, say, england

They beat argentina 3-0 remember, plus beating the home nation with the whole crowd against them and i reckon they'd have beaten germany and spain easily, and would have given brazil and portugal a run for their money too
    Last edited by Mac76; 16-07-2018 at 08:12 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac76 View Post
    This game is fixed that's why
    By whom and to what end?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    By whom and to what end?
    By Putin to destroy decadent capitalist pig
    NOTE: The location of this post has been moved and the thread title (which was previously Wenger is Leaving) has been manipulated by a notorious pro-Wenger moderator. What was previously a message that contained no profanity and made a comment on a real life event has now been manipulated by a deliberately provocative title. An old and crude propaganda and censorship technique.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac76 View Post
    C'mon, Croatia completely bossed it for a good 60 mins, but inevitably the ref's interventions turned the game because they had to try to come from behind

It's not the team with the best players that deserves to win, it's the team that plays the best football, consistently, and Croatia was that team for me, take the point about the draw but they still had a much harder route than, say, england

They beat argentina 3-0 remember, plus beating the home nation with the whole crowd against them and i reckon they'd have beaten germany and spain easily, and would have given brazil and portugal a run for their money too
    Don't really agree with this, Croatia did well in the first half, penalty for me was a tough one could have gone either way, he seemed to stick out his hand, but then it was also close. 2nd half France controlled it and had 2-3 more opportunities they should have scored, Croatia only scored through luck when Loris made a mess of it when France were cruising.

Best side (on the day and in terms of quality) won, I agree with MO their side of the draw was easy no big teams at all in the knockouts, that's unheard of in the World Cup, in all honesty they laboured through that side of the draw, even England could have beaten them if they'd put their chances away in the 1st half when they were on top.

They did well and all that but no doubt the better team won on the day, more quality, more goal threat, more chances.
    Last edited by Özim; 16-07-2018 at 09:00 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't actually see the final, watched the highlights this morning. Looked eventful.
    The penalty was nonsense in my opinion but otherwise I don't know what you're all crying about.
    France were the stand out team in this tournament, IMO. I expected them to win the final and they did.
    Overall it wasn't a high quality tournament but France deserve to be champions. I'd buy allegations of fixing if Russia had won it, but they didn't.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    I have no affinity for Giroud at all but I could probably say the same for a lot of Arsenal players over the past 10 years. Maybe it’s because I’m older now and have no interest in hero-worshipping footballers like I did when I was a kid.
    Me neither, think he's rubbish frankly and should be nowhere near the France team. Typical Wenger player, some nice touches at times but a poor finisher, not a great amount of ability, we've seen his usual missed in this World Cup, even Chelsea want rid apparently now.

Glad we sold the guy to be honest, never good enough and it's embarassing we kept him as our number 1 striker for so long tbh.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why do you lack the simplest ability to think in any other ways than black and white?
    Giroud is not "rubbish", but he's not World Class. He's not the sort of player who will drag you to a title, or a World Cup.
    As a squad player he did a good job for us, he scored a load of goals coming off the bench.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    I didn't actually see the final, watched the highlights this morning. Looked eventful.
    The penalty was nonsense in my opinion but otherwise I don't know what you're all crying about.
    France were the stand out team in this tournament, IMO. I expected them to win the final and they did.
    Overall it wasn't a high quality tournament but France deserve to be champions. I'd buy allegations of fixing if Russia had won it, but they didn't.
    Some GW villains were successful, that usually means a faux outpour of annoyance.