User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So Cech or Leno??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guess it comes back to Emery’s targets in this first year - if he’s been told that top 4 is a must, then I guess I can understand him opting for stability and continuity in these opening games against 2 (well, 1) of our main challengers (especially as he’s new to the club and the league himself)?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We should start with Cech. Provides motivation for both players doing it that way. Healthy competition is needed. Cech will strive to keep his place in the starting line up and Leno will strive to take his spot.

If we start with Leno before he’s ready and he has a dodgy start, we're forced into a stick or twist situation. May have to drop the Leno early, which sets back his confidence even further and have to peddle back to a secure Petr Cech that knows his replacement isn't ready.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Power n Glory View Post
    We should start with Cech. Provides motivation for both players doing it that way. Healthy competition is needed. Cech will strive to keep his place in the starting line up and Leno will strive to take his spot.

If we start with Leno before he’s ready and he has a dodgy start, we're forced into a stick or twist situation. May have to drop the Leno early, which sets back his confidence even further and have to peddle back to a secure Petr Cech that knows his replacement isn't ready.
    At what point do we drop Cech if he keeps churning out 7/10 performances, which we all know he is capable of? If he doesn't make any obvious mistakes do we keep him as first choice for the whole season?

I know Leno would get cup games but I'd like to see him on a more regular basis. If he can't overcome a dodgy start he's not the keeper we've been waiting for.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As you know, I think we should have lumped our money on a keeper we are convinced is top quality or kept our powder dry. However, Cech has looked remarkably reborn this preseason.....

Not sure if it is general renewal around the club, the exit of Peyton and the competition we've brought in for him, or a combination of those things, but he looks really up for it this season. I'd say that he should start....and if Emery thinks he looks better on merit, then Emery should start him ahead of Leno. We're trying to foster a culture of meritocracy after all.

We also know that at his best, he is a world class keeper, so if he can roll back the years....give him a chance to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blink 1nce Quince 2wice View Post
    As you know, I think we should have lumped our money on a keeper we are convinced is top quality or kept our powder dry. However, Cech has looked remarkably reborn this preseason.....

Not sure if it is general renewal around the club, the exit of Peyton and the competition we've brought in for him, or a combination of those things, but he looks really up for it this season. I'd say that he should start....and if Emery thinks he looks better on merit, then Emery should start him ahead of Leno. We're trying to foster a culture of meritocracy after all.

We also know that at his best, he is a world class keeper, so if he can roll back the years....give him a chance to.
    Agree. We need competition between the players. Cech looks like a guy that has accepted the challenge. He was never guaranteed a starting place in the line up and despite buying a new keeper, Emery hasn't shown favoritism to Leno either. I was just reading some of Jack Wilshere's comments this morning and he really could have learned something from his situation. I hope all the players still with us that feel uncertain respond like Cech and up their game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is just weird no other club would spend 20 odd million for a keeper and then not give him the number 1 spot initially, again if he doesn't start we must think he's not good enough to oust a 36 years old. It's different if he played and didn't perform but to not start with him would be odd and I'd certainly questin why we signed him.

As someone said we should have paid up for a top keeper we had faith in if we weren't convinced with this guy, Cech was a calamity last season and a few meaningless friendlies can't change that.

You generally don't have competition for the number 1 jersey, th keeper is important when it comes to continuity and playing himself into form, chopping an changing doesn't work in this case, so if that's what we do I don't get it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I reckon this is the way it'll go, but today will set the tone, if it is Leno that's a big kick in the balls for Cech - try and laugh that one off with yer Bayern mates Petr...