User Tag List

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Match Reaction vs Citeh (home).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems to me we're going to let Welbeck and Ramsey walk away for free next summer, should have sold both of them for whatever we could get, just don't get why we held onto them, we've barely had anything to spend this summer and yet rather than sell two players who have a year left we keep hold of them, where is the logic in that?

Welbeck has no future here anyway, but we should have at least tried to get something for him, more money down the pan and with an owner not interested in investing any money it's mad doubley worse.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chambers, Iwobi and Xhaka , didn't we just give all three new contracts recently? Just let their contacts run down and get rid of them. I hadn't realised Jenkinson was still an Arsenal player. He was rubbish when we bought him a 100 years ago, why is he still on our books?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    Jenkinson.

How bloody long is the contract we gave him? Can't believe it just hasn't be terminated. Even he must feel slightly embarrassed to call himself an Arsenal player.
    Ramsey, Wilshere, Jenkinson, Ox, Gibbs all signed up on long contracts in 2012, now all gone except for one guy who will leave on a free next summer and another who we can't get rid of for love no money. Arsenals British revolution worked out well

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Goonermerree View Post
    Chambers, Iwobi and Xhaka , didn't we just give all three new contracts recently? Just let their contacts run down and get rid of them. I hadn't realised Jenkinson was still an Arsenal player. He was rubbish when we bought him a 100 years ago, why is he still on our books?
    Yeah we gave them new long term contracts, we'll never get rid now, I'd have sold them for whatever we could have got in the summer. Yeah Jenkinson was plucked out of obscurity at Charlton and now noone wants him because he was never any good in the 1st place.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Özim View Post
    Ramsey, Wilshere, Jenkinson, Ox, Gibbs all signed up on long contracts in 2012, now all gone except for one guy who will leave on a free next summer and another who we can't get rid of for love no money. Arsenals British revolution worked out well
    Wilshere and Ox still had potential then, the others should have been sold.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Goonermerree View Post
    Wilshere and Ox still had potential then, the others should have been sold.
    The only one of those I would have kept is Ox to be honest, very talented and had something about him, shame for him about his injury. You could make an argument for Wilshere, but since then he's not improved at all, has sown poor discipline off the pitch and is always injured, what a bunch!

We also had Walnut of course, signed him up not long after that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only one of those I would have kept is Ox to be honest, very talented and had something about him, shame for him about his injury. You could make an argument for Wilshere, but since then he's not improved at all, has sown poor discipline off the pitch and is always injured, what a bunch!

We also had Walnut of course, signed him up not long after that.
    Six years ago Wilshere was only a baby, so we hoped he would come good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blink 1nce Quince 2wice View Post
    They said he tried, the effort was there and it wasn't a case of him not showing up it was more that nothing came off which was basically what I was saying. Particularly in the face of the regular 'he didn't show up/turn up' narrative on here. Not trying to be NQ, it's just how I Maybe that isn't to be taken too literally, but this was not an Ozil hiding in plain sight kind of performance. Not trying to be NQ, it's just how I saw it.

They also called out Lacazette on his faults, which I thought was slightly glossed over on here, even if I enjoyed him throwing his weight around and getting well involved in the game.

I think Emery was wrong to deploy him right, but that was simply a detail. On the day, Ozil's touch was off in general.

Tim said that given Xhaka is unsuited to receiving the ball in midfield facing his goalkeeper he doesn't know where that leaves Xhaka in this Emery era. He didn't expand and as usual on the podcast, if you pause for breath somebody else will take over, but to me that was Tim's way of saying.....'I don't think he really has a place in this team'.

It is telling though that so many had higher hopes for Xhaka under this regime and after a single game, so many are rethinking that.......
    I agree with you on effort. It wasn't a case of a Ozil not trying. On defence, I saw how he pressed and chased back to defend. Those were the positives. But once again Aubameyang looked starved of service when playing up front on his own. It's a one off game but this is a growing trend with Ozil. They touched on the spark Lacazette adds to Aubameyang's game and I expect that sort of connection with Ozil involved. I just don't know if he will ever get there. With these sort of players on the pitch, his passing should release them to do serious damage. So far, the least likely candidate, Giroud, has been his best partnership.

As for Lacazette, when we have a team performing so poorly, it's pretty harsh to criticise a 6.5 / 7 performance. He has his flaws and so does Aubameyang but their style of play may just compliment each other as stated on the podcast.

I think they are all rethinking Xhaka but have some sort of hope for him as a player and not drawing any quick conclusions. Where ai disagree with their analysis is the part on Xhaka not being the deepest midfielder to collect the ball. He started off playing that way but when pressured off the ball he kinda of stopped showing up for the ball and left it to Guendouzi. That's not a good sign.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You only need to look at our squad right now and look at who we actually managed to sell (Perez I think) to realise selling these guys is hard, noone wants them or two play their overinflated wages, for years we've struggled to get rid of players, that's why the likes of Jenkinson, Perez, Campbell keep being sent on loan. Clubs have wised up and realise players from Arsenal aren't worth paying decent money for.
    We sold 7 backups for nearly £100m in 2017.

Chambers and Iwobi are young and have potential, Xhaka is a solid starter for most premier league clubs (excepting the top 6).

Perez is 30 in a few weeks and hasn't done much in the last few years. £4m seems a reasonable price. Moreover, he's more interested in playing than earning which is probably not the same case for Jenkinson and Campbell who are collecting a paycheck and are comfortable. I think Jenkinson was sold at one point with an opportunity to play but he wouldn't accept the wage drop.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Unai Tea View Post
    We sold 7 backups for nearly £100m in 2017.

Chambers and Iwobi are young and have potential, Xhaka is a solid starter for most premier league clubs (excepting the top 6).

Perez is 30 in a few weeks and hasn't done much in the last few years. £4m seems a reasonable price. Moreover, he's more interested in playing than earning which is probably not the same case for Jenkinson and Campbell who are collecting a paycheck and are comfortable. I think Jenkinson was sold at one point with an opportunity to play but he wouldn't accept the wage drop.
    If you're talking about players like Ox Chamberlain, Gabriel etc, they weren't exactly backup they were 1st teamers and 1st team squad players we used a fair amount and hadn't been bad for us (Gabriel wasn't perfect but he was better than Mustafi), I'd have kept Ox and he brought in 40 millon of that.

Chambers came as a kid and hasn't really progressed at all, there will probably be some takes but probably for 8-10 million or thereabuts, Iwobi I don't know maybe a similar amount, Xhaka will be hard to get rid of, he's absolute trash and no premier league team would touch him IMO based on the way he has performed.

This summer we had quite a few players we were trying to get rid of and Perez so far is the only one gone, Perez cost us what 17 million so thats a big loss whichever way you look at it, he's been on loan a while and maybe we could have sold him last summer.

We were planning to sell quite a few players this summer, Jenkinson, Perez, Ospina, Campbell (some talk about Mustafi as well) but didn't manage to shift many to raise money for more signings which shows how difficult they are to shift. Holding doesn't seem to feature which makes me think he's not at the forefront of our plans, especially with Mavropanos in there.