Quote Originally Posted by IBK View Post
Hmmm I can see where you are coming from, but my view is that first and foremost this bunch of players needs a new shape; a new system of playing and in particular to learn to defend as a team. There were some signs of the latter in Sunday's game despite the errors that led to the goals and as I've seen somewhere else, in the latter stages Citeh themselves were almost caught out by the pressing game that Emery is also trying to introduce. I'd agree that our signings seem somewhat underwhelming, but I can see the sense in not breaking the bank until Emery has had the opportunity to properly introduce his system, and seeing how our existing players respond to this.

I'm not sure that I agree with those advocating giving up on our most expensive player (Ozil) just yet. There is some sense in persevering with our investment for another season. Similarly, Ramsey IMO is quality, and I'm not sure who else is available who would be an improvement on him if the manager can get the MF pairings right - I can see sense in trying to get him to sign a new contract rather than paying what it would take to replace him.

It might be a cautious approach not to break the bank bringing in the fabled 'world class' players in this period of relative turmoil, but I have no massive qualms with this. Let's wait and see whether things can settle down and move forwards under Emery before looking to purchase further.
Fair points from you IBK, it's good to see you posting here on the regs again.

So Ozil, I myself have kept fairly quiet on him but the whole thing is turning into a bit of a circus now and it's about time I had my say. Ozil is on 330K per week, that is a top tier player wage, a wage of a player who absolutely should be making a difference every single time he sets foot on the field.

Ozil is unquestionably one of our best players but I am personally am not happy with what he produces in relation to the wage he earns. This is a player who now earns so much that we are struggling to tie down other members of the team who are arguably as important to us as him, if not more so.

Ozil absolutely needs to be producing top tier performances from now on in every game, that's why we pay him that wage, he has no more excuses left IMO.

I do get that Emery needs time to work with the current players and he needs time to implement his system. What does need to happen though is improvement, I'm not advocating or demanding we make top 4 because I don't think that is achievable this season but I want to see the TEAM improve, to compete with the teams above us and to be organised.

Another season adrift and we simply won't be in a position to make these more high profile purchases that I and other are craving for, our rep is already slightly damaged in terms of attractiveness and younger "slightly high profile" players wanting to come here, another season out of Top 4 / CL and not competing will further dampen our reputation.

Progress and improvement this season is absolutely essential.