User Tag List

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Match Reaction vs Citeh (home).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I am invisible View Post
    Feeling oddly deflated today, which is stupid really, because I expected us to lose, and wasn't expecting to see things really start to click under Emery until well into 2019. I guess thinking something and actually living with it are two very different things, and I wasn't quite as prepared for this slog as I thought I was.

(Also doesn't help that all our rivals started off with wins, despite all the talk of players returning late from the WC, and meltdowns at united, etc.)

Did the players at least look like they were playing with a little more effort and urgency? I'm not expecting the tactical side of things and the fluidity of our play to be anywhere close yet, but improved attitude shouldn't take any time.

One positive I can see from the match reports is that the new coach at least had no qualms about hooking Ramsey and Xhaka for underperforming - that's something.

Any word on AMN? How serious is that looking?
    I think it's just a little bit sobering when you realise how far off we actually are from being a fully functional and cohesive team. Expectations need to be managed, after all we're coming off 6th and 5th place finishes and old habits die hard.

It was never going to be as simple as changing the coach, it's about ridding ourselves of this loser mentality, bringing in a different culture and being brave and ruthless enough to try new things. I believe Emery will be given time at least, unless he turns out to be even worse than Wenger was during his latter years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    I think it's just a little bit sobering when you realise how far off we actually are from being a fully functional and cohesive team. Expectations need to be managed, after all we're coming off 6th and 5th place finishes and old habits die hard.

It was never going to be as simple as changing the coach, it's about ridding ourselves of this loser mentality, bringing in a different culture and being brave and ruthless enough to try new things. I believe Emery will be given time at least, unless he turns out to be even worse than Wenger was during his latter years.
    The only comparison you can make is how Utd dealt with life after Fergie. Emery at least has a history of winning stuff which counts for something. We may have to accept that the transition could take another 2/3 managers before we are back on the right track again. We will never spend the money they do at City and Utd, so it will come down to the right coach maximising his resources. It’s going to take some time to do that. Emery will get at least two years unless he has a complete car crash, then we’ll see where we are then.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Power n Glory View Post
    Disagree with the lack of desire part. It looked nothing like our worst games over the last few years. You'll see for youself.
    I agree with you. I thought we tried and didn't let our heads drop like our last couple of games against Citeh. I find the criticism of Emery a bit unjustified. The only way he is going to be able to make progress is to see how we play in competitive games and I am not sure there is too much to be read into a game against league champions who have now had since 2016 to learn a devastating brand of football under the best manager in the world. I think much of the disappointment is down to the fact that this was a reality check about where we are and that we cannot expect instant progress under the new manager. I am happy to be patient and see how we progress from here.
    Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't think AMN was getting done that badly but so many people have said it post game, maybe I have developed a blindspot with him!

His run forward was very positive and perfectly executed tackle late in the box stood out. Even when he was running back a few times he eventually thwarted the counter. I like that he's good on 1 v 1's, good in tight spaces, athletic, quick, has the recovery/repeat sprints thing going on pretty well bla bla bla and I think losing him is a massive blow.

I actually thought Mustafi and Sokratis were pretty good as was Bellerin. With the way the game was going we might as well have had Welbeck out wide as he wouldn't have completely gone missing from the game like Mhki. What Ozil tried didn't come off and he had too many misunderstandings with the rest of the attack, but that isn't quite the same as completely going missing. I think this game came a little too soon for him and on another day one of the things he did would have come off.

Seeing as all the best sides tend to employ the high press in some guise or another.....what really is the point in playing Xhaka in any of these games? I don't really know the point in starting him period. For the love of God, I really hope Torreira plays every last game till the season ends. I would have no problem seeing Guendouzi play the next game despite his faults because I think he'll learn and you can see he offers something.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Emery will have to be ruthless with his decisions over the coming months because I don’t think he’s going to get the time of day. I don’t like what I’ve just seen on AFTV from Lee and I was just listening to Arsecast and the report of how the fans reacted to the game also has me concerned. We have to try and shake off the negativity from what Wenger left behind. The only way to do that is for Emery to be ruthless and start the cull.

The performances from Xhaka, Ozil, Mkhitaryan and Ramsey were too reminiscent of what we saw under Wenger. He can’t persist with them. On the one hand we need to give the new coach time to get his ideas across but on the other hand, if he sticks it out with certain players for too long, he’ll never get the fans on board.

There were positives from the game. Bellerin looked better. The defensive line as whole looked better. Guendouzi looks fearless and despite the mistakes, was the best of the midfielders. Lacazette made an impact and the partnership with Aubameyang is something I look forwards to seeing. Torreira looks like he’ll press and get back. Looks like he may have a pass in him as well. A good ball over the top to Auba but unfortunately waved offside. There were positives from the game. Emery hooking Ramsey and Xhaka was a positive sign because he could at least see that these guys weren’t playing well.

The manager needs time and it’s gonna be tough for the fans, manager and players.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If Emery has not realised the depth of the problem he has inherited, it will likely be dawning on him now. We are so predictable and easy to beat. Sterling was gash at the WC. All the teams England faced know that you have to dispossess him outside the box. He gets in the box and all our numpties just freeze afraid to act. Its Wenger all over again. The only coach in world football who cannot instruct how to mark Robben. a 60 yr old Robben will still be able to score goals against a Wenger coached team, as they will not learn from a thousand repeated mistakes.

Anyway back to yesterday. i was hoping Sokratis would help us break the mould, shout at some of the Wenger dotards like Mustafi, who just watch whats unfolding before them.

Ramsey is not a 10, get rid. He cant be on the pitch at the same time as Ozil...you are then 2 men down
    Ozil has no heart. I watched him closely yesterday, hoping for a new spark....Nothing. when he gets the ball in an attacking position, he always does this stupid pirouette, that takes 2 seconds to complete and only leaves him in the same position before he started. In the meantime the opposition players have had 2 secs to reposition themselves better. Invariably Ozil will just pass it square. He never moves the ball instinctively. Its as if the players do not learn anything in training that rubs of during game time. If he cant be coached, he needs to be let go....plenty teams in Turkey who will take him off our hands at subsidised wages

Mikhi, the same. too inoffensive

Why are we all so easy to dispossess of the ball, even at home?. City were much more aggressive, confident.

Cech....sorry. He needs to be dropped. Leno for the league and Cech for Europa, Martinez for CC.

The team that ended the game yesterday needs to be our starting 11 save for Cech.
    We are in dire straits if Unai thinks yesterday, it was just a bad case of playing the champions. Major work needed.
    Make 2mrw better than 2day

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Power n Glory View Post
    Emery will have to be ruthless with his decisions over the coming months because I don’t think he’s going to get the time of day. I don’t like what I’ve just seen on AFTV from Lee and I was just listening to Arsecast and the report of how the fans reacted to the game also has me concerned. We have to try and shake off the negativity from what Wenger left behind. The only way to do that is for Emery to be ruthless and start the cull.

The performances from Xhaka, Ozil, Mkhitaryan and Ramsey were too reminiscent of what we saw under Wenger. He can’t persist with them. On the one hand we need to give the new coach time to get his ideas across but on the other hand, if he sticks it out with certain players for too long, he’ll never get the fans on board.

There were positives from the game. Bellerin looked better. The defensive line as whole looked better. Guendouzi looks fearless and despite the mistakes, was the best of the midfielders. Lacazette made an impact and the partnership with Aubameyang is something I look forwards to seeing. Torreira looks like he’ll press and get back. Looks like he may have a pass in him as well. A good ball over the top to Auba but unfortunately waved offside. There were positives from the game. Emery hooking Ramsey and Xhaka was a positive sign because he could at least see that these guys weren’t playing well.

The manager needs time and it’s gonna be tough for the fans, manager and players.
    To be fair to Lee he's right, we didn't back the manager in the summer, what we did is give him a bit and not really allow him to sign players who could help us compete.

He's right about needing a winger as well.

He's also correct about us being Arsenal and the fact we should be competing, I agree it will take time but his point was more about how much we spent in the summer and the players we brought in, I understand you disagree but for me you have to give a new manager full backing, you can't hedge your bets because the guy before was useless and wasted money left, right and centre, either you bring in a manager because you think he's the right man, or you bring him in because he's not going to question your decisions and will toe the link.

Also he says this wasn't their strongest side and this was a good time to play them, no De Bruyne, Kompany amongst others, we also played at home, barely any of our players played in the World Cup, many of their players came back last week whereas most of ours came back quite a while ago and should be prepared. Man City are far superior, but to be honest IMO I just don't think there was enough urgency or that players showed that they were keen to impress the manager.

He also compares us to Liverpool and he's right, they are no different to us, in fact we've had a stadium for years, they have ambition and back their manager (and did from the start), 150 million net this summer.

For me Emery has time but he has to do 2 things, 1 change things and 2 not blindly support players who aren't good enough, players like Xhaka shouldn't get countless games, if they don't cut it, you don't play them until they prove (if they can) they're hungry and can perform.

I was disappointed with the starting lineup yesterday, just felt it was too similar to Wengers, we need a complete change, Lacazette and Aubameyang worked in pre-season, Ok it's only friendlies but for me they can both score goals and it makes sense to play them both. Mistakes will happen, lets see if he learns from them.
    Last edited by Özim; 13-08-2018 at 01:17 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Özim View Post
    To be fair to Lee he's right, we didn't back the manager in the summer, what we did is give him a bit and not really allow him to sign players who could help us compete.

He's right about needing a winger as well.

He's also correct about us being Arsenal and the fact we should be competing, I agree it will take time but his point was more about how much we spent in the summer and the players we brought in, I understand you disagree but for me you have to give a new manager full backing, you can't hedge your bets because the guy before was useless and wasted money left, right and centre, either you bring in a manager because you think he's the right man, or you bring him in because he's not going to question your decisions and will toe the link.

Also he says this wasn't their strongest side and this was a good time to play them, no De Bruyne, Kompany amongst others, we also played at home, barely any of our players played in the World Cup, many of their players came back last week whereas most of ours came back quite a while ago and should be prepared. Man City are far superior, but to be honest IMO I just don't think there was enough urgency or that players showed that they were keen to impress the manager.

He also compares us to Liverpool and he's right, they are no different to us, in fact we've had a stadium for years, they have ambition and back their manager (and did from the start), 150 million net this summer.

For me Emery has time but he has to do 2 things, 1 change things and 2 not blindly support players who aren't good enough, players like Xhaka shouldn't get countless games, if they don't cut it, you don't play them until they prove (if they can) they're hungry and can perform.

I was disappointed with the starting lineup yesterday, just felt it was too similar to Wengers, we need a complete change, Lacazette and Aubameyang worked in pre-season, Ok it's only friendlies but for me they can both score goals and it makes sense to play them both. Mistakes will happen, lets see if he learns from them.
    Right or wrong, a lot has to change at Arsenal and that includes the mentality and attitude of the fans. We can’t be walking out on the first game of the season before the final whistle. It looks bad. Groaning and sarcastic applauds/chants for when Cech kicks it long isn’t of playing it short isn’t helpful at all. It’s the first day of the season where we are trying to set a foundation and get these players playing a certain way. We can’t abandon that idea at the first hurdle of trouble.

As said, it’s gonna be tough. Critical thought online and on the forums is fine, but at the stadium, I’d expect a lot better from the fans.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't get leaving early if you've made the effort and paid a fortune. Whenever I go to a match I stay slightly later than the final whistle to get my moneys worth if nothing else. It's not exactly cheap is it? The only time I can understand it is if it's an evening match and you might miss the last bus or something. I have a mate who is a season ticket holder and he doesn't get home until beyond 12 after an evening KO. He stays until the end though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Goonermerree View Post
    I don't get leaving early if you've made the effort and paid a fortune. Whenever I go to a match I stay slightly later than the final whistle to get my moneys worth if nothing else. It's not exactly cheap is it? The only time I can understand it is if it's an evening match and you might miss the last bus or something. I have a mate who is a season ticket holder and he doesn't get home until beyond 12 after an evening KO. He stays until the end though.
    First day of a new era after an age of complaining about the last manager doing the same things again and again and half the stadium empties before the final whistle. Losing or not, show some solidarity and back the new manager and stay to the end, even if it’s just for one game. Most of the fans can’t even do that which is pretty sad.