User Tag List

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Chelsea V Arsenal Saturday 18 August 17:30 kick off BST

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blink 1nce Quince 2wice View Post
    Like you I don't expect him to change much.

Came across this just now from Stillman....

https://arseblog.com/2018/08/laca-balance-auba-under/

In fact, most of Arsenal’s squad is unbalanced, but the forward line has a lot of individual quality and players in their prime which ought to reduce the impact. I still think that this squad is most suited to a back 3 given the lack of dominant centre halves and natural wide players. Arsenal have a top class number 8, a world class number 10 and two good strikers, all of whom could be well accommodated in a 3412 system.

He mentioned something in the link article that I hadn't thought much about which is the interchange of the full backs with the forwards in wide positions. Bellerin could be left without an option but this is where the front 3 can be fluid in their movement and combination play with a solid base behind.

Anyway I'd play....

-------------Cech-------------

------Mav--Mus---Sok--------

Bell---Ramsey---Tor---Monreal

-------------Ozil----------------

--------Laca----Auba----------

But I think he will play...

Cech
    Bellerin
    Mustafi
    Sokratis
    Litch/Mon
    Torreira
    Guenouzi
    Ramsey (if fit)
    Ozil
    Auba
    Laca
    Yes, I caught that article this morning. After buying Aubameyang and playing three at the back, I don't know why Wenger didn't make a slight adjustment and just play that formation. Instead of one up front, flip the triangle and play two with Ozil behind strikers. Three players in their preferred positions. Sorted.

I don't think Emery has played a three at the back formation so I just don't see him doing it. I don't think he has a record of playing various shapes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumble View Post
    Isnt the keepers main purpose to make saves though.... which is what Cech did. Leno is only 26 so still has plenty of time, this might be good to allow him to settle into England and see what the football is like. would Leno made any difference to the result against City. No. Would he make any difference to the Chelsea result .... probably not.

Anyway on the Chelsea game, I think we can draw this. We have more fire power up front but the chavs have a better central midfield although 2 of the parts are quite new. they have the best player in Hazard but are suspect as centre back (which obviously we are a little too).

I can see Iwobi playing wide left although Welbeck could be used to press, chase and harry the defence and keeper with good affect. Don't think we need both Ozil and Mukhi to start.
    1-1
    It is yes but if you're going to play out from the back the keeper is going to need to be able to pass. 26 isn't that young, he's not a kid, we paid 20 odd million for him which isn't pocket change and certainly not the money for a backup keeper.

There's an argument that Cech might have been very slow to react to the first goal for City, for me though he's past it, last season he had a nightmare and quite honestly he's never been the same since the head injury. Cech is the past for me, Leno is hopefully the future (time will tell) but I personally think he should have played.

This isn't the Wenger era where we mollycoddle players, if you're good enough you play that's the way I see it. Welbeck hasn't featured at all in pre-season and came back late despite not playing at all for England, I reckon he's got no future here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dostoy View Post
    If Torreira could only play 20 minutes last week, he won't be fit enough for 90, just six days later will he.

I just want to see a bit of fight and a bit of resilience because I am not confident of even a draw.

Even if Arsenal lose 2-1 but show a bit of fight, that will be a improvement from what Arsenal were doing for the last few seasons when that French incompetent fool was in charge.
    Torreira played in the World Cup, he should be fit enough, Man Citys players played a week after returning from holiday!

I agree I want to see some fight and an improvement on the desire and how we played in the 1st game when we could barely get out of our half in the 1st half and played duds like Xhaka.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Özim View Post
    It is yes but if you're going to play out from the back the keeper is going to need to be able to pass. 26 isn't that young, he's not a kid, we paid 20 odd million for him which isn't pocket change and certainly not the money for a backup keeper.

There's an argument that Cech might have been very slow to react to the first goal for City, for me though he's past it, last season he had a nightmare and quite honestly he's never been the same since the head injury. Cech is the past for me, Leno is hopefully the future (time will tell) but I personally think he should have played.

This isn't the Wenger era where we mollycoddle players, if you're good enough you play that's the way I see it. Welbeck hasn't featured at all in pre-season and came back late despite not playing at all for England, I reckon he's got no future here.
    Well that’s just it:.... Emery hasn’t deemed Leno good enough.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Asking Cech to play out from the back is a disaster waiting to happen though, that's the issue here. Cech's has always been terrified of the ball, he's not suddenly going to turn into Neuer. Playing out is completely new to him so it'll take a long time and plenty of mistakes and even then he might never get to a reasonable level. What's the point in trying that with a 36 year old? It's almost like trying to teach Lichtsteiner to play as a forward.

Guardiola didn't waste time trying to teach Joe Hart how he wants a keeper to play. He straight away went out and bought one that could.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hadn't realised that Emery hadn't played Torreira last week for fitness reasons, that's reassuring, at the time i couldn't believe Emery left him out.

We've got to be more solid with him in the side, and if he starts with Laca, we can be more of a threat going forward too.

As for Cech v Leno,i agree Leno should get the nod but clearly that's not gonna happen this time.

Hopefully Emery has a plan for Leno though that's more than just cup games

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure where I stand on the keeper issue at the moment? On the one hand I think the argument that we need to foster competition between Leno and Cech makes sense, and that they should have to earn their place in the side through consistency and high standards of performance. Then again, we had that kind of competition between Cech and Ospina and I can’t say it pushed either to higher levels - instead of earning their place, it felt more like it was given to one or the other by default based on whoever was less incompetent at any given moment?

Then there’s the age thing? Is there any mid- to long-term value in persisting with Cech for the sake of short-term stability, or would we better off chucking Leno in now, while the rest of the team is having to learn and grow together anyway?

In any event, I guess it makes sense to hold Leno back for these opening two games - taking an immediate battering from City and Chelsea won’t do his nerves or his confidence any good. Game 3 onwards will probably tell us more...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nobody should play because they have youth on their side so if Leno isn't good enough as a goalkeeper why should he be standing there as the last line of our defence? How many people would want Bravo playing for us, just because he can pass a football? Nobody would because he's just not the standard of keeper required.

Emery wants to pass it out the back every time so we have to ask why is he not playing Leno?

Is it any real different to wanting Giroud to play ahead of Aubameyang because he's good at defending our goal at corners.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It’s a demonstration that Leno wasn’t a player he had any part in purchasing.

Administrator McNamara That Ghost...'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He's a stubborn old goat.