User Tag List

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Match Reaction vs West Ham United (home).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just watched the highlights - if we’re going to play with both fullbacks that high all game then Torreira has got to be starting (and probably playing a full 90).

In fact we might as well play 3 CBs and stop even pretending that we’re using Bellerin and Monreal as defenders - would give us the extra man at the back we need to stop us getting outnumbered on counters, an effective shield in front of them who can also easily drop into those fullback areas, and would go some way to addressing our lack of natural wingers (at least temporarily).

Lacazette also has to be starting - something just seems to click when he’s on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Unai Tea View Post
    Tweren't very pretty but it was a win.

Defense is still far to open. Hopefully it will get a little better until such a time we can invest properly in good defenders. If we can get a few wins while we improve that's good. Can't see a very good defense happening with this group. I really would prefer to see Lichtsteiner instead of Bellerin.

Xhaka was better today I thought. Not great but not totally outclassed like v Man city and Chelsea. A calm descended when torreira came on - for all his defensive qualities, he's also very good opening things up going forward.

Was Auba would start scoring....that was meant to save us early on while everything settled a bit. If he does his bit we're sitting on two wins our of three.

Also, have come back now in two games after going down. That's good to see. No folding when the chips are down. Just need more solidity at the back.
    I really don’t think goals are going to be a problem for us, with or without Auba - we could have had 6 against Chelsea last week, even though they were the better side, and today we’ve grabbed another fairly easy 3 whilst being pretty average. There’s a certain routineness about most of the goals we’ve been scoring that I like - bread-and-butter plays that we look like we’ll be able to churn out ad nauseum before too much longer...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Terrible performance yesterday, it started with a terrible lineup again, Emery is creating a rod for his own back here, Xhaka picked again despite being awful, no Lacazette, if not for Ozil being out he'd still be playng the same team that he did in two games he lost before.

West Ham deserved better (Arnautovic getting injured was a lucky for Emery as the guy was running the show), they could have scored a hatful and beaten us, not impressed with Emery at all so far, defence is shambolic, he's doesn't change a thing, as someone said it could be like Wenger is in charge, I'm starting to think this guy is a just a yes man without a club what he's doing, why else would you keep picking the same team.

Wolves showed us how it was done by grabbing a draw against City when we lost and should have lost by 5 or 6! As has been mentioned Emery will get time, but not if he doesn't learn anything and keeps picking the losers Wenger kept picking, it's like he doesn't watch the matches.

Don't know what to make of the defence, full backs were good going forward but left a lot to be desired defensively, there's no kind of system and they don't show any signs of playing as a unit. Also wondering why we wasted 20 million on Leno if he's not going to get a game when we could have spent it elsewhere, seems utterly pointless!

It's still very early of course, but the fact that Emery keeps playing the same team is just plain stupid tbh and that's what bugs me the most, the rest will take time, whats clear is that half this team need selling off and replacing because they're just plain not good enough, defenders can't defend and midifelders offer no cover for defence, there's just no excuse for picking Xhaka again frankly.

Also playing a high line with Mustafi and Sokratis will never work, we've got no pace at the back at all, in a way signing Sokratis was a little strange, we needed more pace at the back.

On the plus side, people can't blame Ozil for this shambolic display today, so someone else will need to take the flack, also Mkitiryran seems to get off scott free every week, he's been every bit as bad as Ozil (for 3 games now), yes he scored last week (also missed an absolute sitter) but it didn't change the fact he's been poor, for 3 games now.

Emery does make substitution early at least which is a good thing, just think he needs to change the lineup and change the way the defence works, based on what we have and making us more solid.
    Last edited by Özim; 26-08-2018 at 08:55 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never thought I’d agree with Shearer and co on MOTD, but I think they had it right re: the defence - both fullbacks need to learn when to hold when the other goes forward, otherwise we’re basically playing with 2 defenders all game. Hardly surprising we’re giving away chances so easily.

Torreira also needs to start if we’re going to play with attacking fullbacks, as we need someone switched on and tactically disciplined in front of our minimal defence who can quickly spot (and cover) any gaps. Those two things alone would probably make a huge difference to our defending, and they should be very, very easy fixes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Özim View Post
    Terrible performance yesterday, it started with a terrible lineup again, Emery is creating a rod for his own back here, Xhaka picked again despite being awful...

...It's still very early of course, but the fact that Emery keeps playing the same team is just plain stupid tbh and that's what bugs me the most, the rest will take time, whats clear is that half this team need selling off and replacing because they're just plain not good enough, defenders can't defend and midifelders offer no cover for defence, there's just no excuse for picking Xhaka again frankly...
    Give it 10 games or so and see how the team is shaping up then. He may simply be giving some of the players enough rope to hang themselves in these early games so he can justify making the changes he wants once he’s settled on his best XI. Or he could still be stress-testing the squad to see what he’s really working with - training sessions and friendlies will only tell you so much, after all.

On the plus side, his in-game management and subs have been pretty sharp so far, and he hasn’t been afraid to hook big names (even at embarrassing moments), which makes me think that he isn’t as blind to what we’re all seeing as you fear. Also starting Guendouzi in every game is a pretty ballsy move, considering he’s a kid who has been here for 5 minutes, and there’s a lot of established names gunning for that same spot...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I am invisible View Post
    Give it 10 games or so and see how the team is shaping up then. He may simply be giving some of the players enough rope to hang themselves in these early games so he can justify making the changes he wants once he’s settled on his best XI. Or he could still be stress-testing the squad to see what he’s really working with - training sessions and friendlies will only tell you so much, after all.

On the plus side, his in-game management and subs have been pretty sharp so far, and he hasn’t been afraid to hook big names (even at embarrassing moments), which makes me think that he isn’t as blind to what we’re all seeing as you fear. Also starting Guendouzi in every game is a pretty ballsy move, considering he’s a kid who has been here for 5 minutes, and there’s a lot of established names gunning for that same spot...
    Agree re Guendouzi, but he really must drop Xhaka and Mustafi as a matter of urgency, there's no case for leaving it any longer and he admitted it wasn't a great performance defensively.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just saw the match on MOTD, missed it yesterday. Another team with shooting boots on would have scored a few. We have to sort our defensive play out. Nacho my man showed them the way with our opener. Welbz took his chance well and finished like a, well like a striker. Three points but more improvement needed.
    According to news on MOTD Ozil stormed off after being told he wouldn't be playing, denied of course by Emery. It's a good sign if Ozil gets mad at being dropped.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Goonermerree View Post
    Just saw the match on MOTD, missed it yesterday. Another team with shooting boots on would have scored a few. We have to sort our defensive play out. Nacho my man showed them the way with our opener. Welbz took his chance well and finished like a, well like a striker. Three points but more improvement needed.
    According to news on MOTD Ozil stormed off after being told he wouldn't be playing, denied of course by Emery. It's a good sign if Ozil gets mad at being dropped.
    Bad sign if Ozil is back in the team next week.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Power n Glory View Post
    Bad sign if Ozil is back in the team next week.
    At least it means something to him being dropped - it's a start!
    Last edited by Goonermerree; 26-08-2018 at 01:42 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They said on MOTD that Emery/Arsenal said he had a cold. If that is true by the word....it's definitely a lie. How can a footballer miss games so often for a bleeding cold!