User Tag List

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Dissecting Emery's Arsenal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Power n Glory View Post
    I wouldn't say we have the weakest player for player. It all comes back down to coaching. If I had never seen a Klopp Liverpool side, there is no way I'd think Mane, Salah and Firminho would be better than Aubameyang, Lacazette and Mkhitaryan. Same goes for those Tottenham players. It comes back to good coaching because a lot of those players have no record had us clamouring for their signatures.
    Hmmm...I think that is debateable. We most definitely have the weakest keepers and defence in comparison to our rivals.

Midfield wise I think we are lacking a bit too...though I do have high hopes for Torreira and Guendozi.

Our attacking options are admittedly pretty decent as you rightly pointed out, but we don't have a star in our forward line like say Liverpool do in Salah, the Spuds in Kane or City in Aguero.

Our bench options outside of the attacking positions are very questionable too.

I do agree that coaching can and will likely improve some of these guys..but I also feel that Emery has inherited a very "Wenger" centric team and as such will want to make his own relative personnel changes.

I think Emery will build a decent team / squad in time so not all is lost.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But who was Salah before he signed for Liverpool? If you heard it was a choice between Salah and Mkhitaryan, Firminho and Aubameyang, we'd all have chosen the Dortmund boys without question.

Wijnaldum and Milner wouldn't have been on many people's wish list either. I have no idea who those fullbacks are either.

It comes back to good coaching and I hope Emery can pull something out of this team or discover new gems because the players Liverpool and Spuds currently have weren't on the top of the transfer shopping list but they've now developed into must have players.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Selassie, our squad is the weakest, I don't hold much hope for many of these Wenger players, many of them are substandard rubbish he brought in (often on the cheap) looking for the next best thing and hoping he gets lucky.

The forward line is decent (Lacazette and Aubameyang anyway) but the rest is pretty questionnable, the defence is shocking to be honest, Mustafi, Bellerin, Holding, Chambers, all defenders who can't defend, with us buying Sokratis it hasn't helped as unfortunately he lacks pace and we already lacked that at the back, so him and Mustafi make an easy target for pacey teams, in goal we have Cech who makes some decent saves, but can't pass and also makes his fair share of errors and of course Leno that we don't even trust after a 20 million move in the summer (hardly going to inspire confidence in a keeper already lacking confidence from his hit and miss season last season)

The midfield also lacks quality, Xhaka should be ditched, you don't need to see him anymore to realise he's rubbish, Ramsey is pretty much off and inconsistent, we have no wingers, Mkhitaryan is too lightweight IMO and Ozil is inconsistent (not a big fan of Iwobi either if I'm honest), I have high hopes for Torreira and Guendouzi but we need a lot more than that.

The lack of quality for a club of our level is quite frankly shocking, most of these guys have been playing the Wenger way for years and quite frankly I'm not sure they're suited to a different game, I think we need big big changes and maybe Emery is starting to discover that after 3 very abject performances.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But who was Salah before he signed for Liverpool? If you heard it was a choice between Salah and Mkhitaryan, Firminho and Aubameyang, we'd all have chosen the Dortmund boys without question.

Wijnaldum and Milner wouldn't have been on many people's wish list either. I have no idea who those fullbacks are either.

It comes back to good coaching and I hope Emery can pull something out of this team or discover new gems because the players Liverpool and Spuds currently have weren't on the top of the transfer shopping list but they've now developed into must have players.
    Salah's emergence at Liverpool has been very impressive and very surprising...but....he was putting in very good performances and posting decent enough numbers in Italy prior to his move to Liverpool.

Obviously I didn't expect him to develop into a World Class player so quickly but he came to Liverpool off the back of 2 very good seasons at Roma, admittedly scoring 15 goals each season which is nowhere near his scoring ratio at Liverpool.

I hear you, I would have preferred our boys...they are developed and ready made stars so to speak but until they post numbers equivalent to those mentioned Liverpool players then we have an inferior attack.

Yeah I agree on Wijnaldum and Milner, they are depth players for Liverpool really even though they have been first choice so far this season. I have no doubts that Fabinho and Henderson will eventually replace them in their preferred starting line up. They still have OX too assuming he comes back to the same level as last season, Liverpool have quality options in Midfield IMO.

I do agree with your point though, it's down to us to develop and unearth gems...or at least polish up potential to a high level like Liverpool and Spuds have done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I'm honest, it's a shame we didn't get that young guy from PSG as well in the summer, might have been another to get excited about, right now we've got Guendouzi and Mavropanos (who doesn't seem to be anywhere near playing), could have used a few more potential stars to try out as our squad is largely Wenger players, out of our summer signings Lichsteiner (we he got a sub appearance) and Leno don't feature at all and Torreira is just a sub with Xhaka being preferred, think we needed a bit more than that because this Wenger squad was a load of rubbish, look how they did last season.

If it had been me, I'd have been quick to ditch half of these Wenger players out of the team, did Emery not know anything about Arsenal before he arrived, even though we played PSG a few times whilst he was manager? I was hoping to see more lineup changes then I've seen from Emery so far, at the moment it just looks largely like a Wenger team, I really wanted to see us move away from that as quickly as possible with an injection if new blood, think the reason we're so stale so far is that most of these guys have no real desire to succeed, they've been use to the easy life and it shows, not sure you can change that weak mentality either.
    Last edited by Özim; 28-08-2018 at 11:06 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by selassie View Post
    Salah's emergence at Liverpool has been very impressive and very surprising...but....he was putting in very good performances and posting decent enough numbers in Italy prior to his move to Liverpool.

Obviously I didn't expect him to develop into a World Class player so quickly but he came to Liverpool off the back of 2 very good seasons at Roma, admittedly scoring 15 goals each season which is nowhere near his scoring ratio at Liverpool.

I hear you, I would have preferred our boys...they are developed and ready made stars so to speak but until they post numbers equivalent to those mentioned Liverpool players then we have an inferior attack.

Yeah I agree on Wijnaldum and Milner, they are depth players for Liverpool really even though they have been first choice so far this season. I have no doubts that Fabinho and Henderson will eventually replace them in their preferred starting line up. They still have OX too assuming he comes back to the same level as last season, Liverpool have quality options in Midfield IMO.

I do agree with your point though, it's down to us to develop and unearth gems...or at least polish up potential to a high level like Liverpool and Spuds have done.
    Salah had a decent record in Roma but not a soul on hear said we should sign and I'm pretty sure his record at Chelsea would have been brought up if we did. Whenever there were talks of us needing a winger, Mkhitaryan's name was constant before he went to Utd and Draxler is another one.

Pound for pound, we are definitely the worst of the bunch. But we're not a functioning team and need some time because I seriously doubt anyone here would have looked at Liverpool and Tottenham's squads without seeing how they'd perform under their managers and say they're title contenders. Looking at Utd, you'd think Martial, Sanchez, Pogba and Lukkau would be tearing things up but they're not. We're in a similar situation because we signed some players with massive reputations but aren't delivering.

This is why I have my current stance on transfers. You just never know what's going to work despite players looking great on paper. A lot depends on the manager behind the team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Salah had a decent record in Roma but not a soul on hear said we should sign and I'm pretty sure his record at Chelsea would have been brought up if we did. Whenever there were talks of us needing a winger, Mkhitaryan's name was constant before he went to Utd and Draxler is another one.

Pound for pound, we are definitely the worst of the bunch. But we're not a functioning team and need some time because I seriously doubt anyone here would have looked at Liverpool and Tottenham's squads without seeing how they'd perform under their managers and say they're title contenders. Looking at Utd, you'd think Martial, Sanchez, Pogba and Lukkau would be tearing things up but they're not. We're in a similar situation because we signed some players with massive reputations but aren't delivering.

This is why I have my current stance on transfers. You just never know what's going to work despite players looking great on paper. A lot depends on the manager behind the team.
    Can't argue with this. However we need to see some clear direction and function within this team with the current set of players pretty soon, otherwise many of them need to be ditched.

Emery has time to build a style and identity to this team, but he shouldn't cling on to players in a "Wenger" kind of style if they don't deliver.

The likes of Mkhi, Ramsey, Ozil, Auba and Laca, in addition to Xhaka, Mustafi and Bellerin should be delivering right NOW, no more excuses. These guys are paid top money and some of them came here for pretty sizeable fees. If they aren't producing then they need to be replaced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Özim View Post
    If I'm honest, it's a shame we didn't get that young guy from PSG as well in the summer, might have been another to get excited about, right now we've got Guendouzi and Mavropanos (who doesn't seem to be anywhere near playing), could have used a few more potential stars to try out as our squad is largely Wenger players, out of our summer signings Lichsteiner (we he got a sub appearance) and Leno don't feature at all and Torreira is just a sub with Xhaka being preferred, think we needed a bit more than that because this Wenger squad was a load of rubbish, look how they did last season.

If it had been me, I'd have been quick to ditch half of these Wenger players out of the team, did Emery not know anything about Arsenal before he arrived, even though we played PSG a few times whilst he was manager? I was hoping to see more lineup changes then I've seen from Emery so far, at the moment it just looks largely like a Wenger team, I really wanted to see us move away from that as quickly as possible with an injection if new blood, think the reason we're so stale so far is that most of these guys have no real desire to succeed, they've been use to the easy life and it shows, not sure you can change that weak mentality either.
    I personally am prepared to give Emery until the new year with this current set of players, by then we will get an idea of what does and doesn't work.

I personally think he's not overly impressed with a lot of the senior players here, Ramsey, Xhaka and Ozil have been either dropped or subbed quite early on in games so he certainly doesn't seem to favour any of these guys.

I think making all the changes in the summer would have been a step too far but I certainly don't want him persisting with any of these aforementioned players if they are not delivering.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been impressed with Klopp, because clearly has a strong sense of player profile. Firminho, Salah and Mane were not the stand out names when he signed them but he identified certain skills and brought in those players accordingly. Very impressive stuff and look what they have become.

Our central defence is behind the others (though it is clearly a case of a lacking of coaching) in the top 6 but we otherwise are a match for the rest....and I also think a whole lot is down to coaching.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree, with so much money around now having a top coach is pretty much the difference maker.

Our team is structurally a mess because of the previous regime. Emery will need a lot of time to get his ideas drilled into the heads of the players but the players also probably need time themselves to adapt to a change in culture.

I've always said this season is a bit of a free hit as long as we see some signs of improvement.