User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Match reaction. Newcastle v Arsenal 15/09/18

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The half time substitutions are fine, but feeling the need to bring Torreira on at half time in every game is just screaming that he should be starting. So just cut to the chase and start him. Player's coming off at half time is a little humiliating and confidence denting for them. Because it is at half time, we don't get to see the theatrics of them being annoyed at being hooked, but that doesn't mean they are not. Every player wants a chance to play better after half time.

Not especially bothered who is sacrificed for Torreira starting, as long as he starts. Xhaka had a good game overall but I'd have no problem if Emery starts Torreira and Ramsey in midfield or Torreira and Guendouzi. I thought Ramsey was pretty poor actually.

Didn't think much of our forwards yesterday neither but I think the formation isn't best suited to the players and circumstances.

The fact Leno is sitting on the bench.....a huge chunk of a very tight summer budget is why you must never remove or sever the link between the manager and the recruitment of players. Not exactly the most harmonious team planning.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Think we signed Leno because he was available and the cost of keepers has been rising rapidly so who knows what he would cost next season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dazthegooner View Post
    Think we signed Leno because he was available and the cost of keepers has been rising rapidly so who knows what he would cost next season.
    Thing is Kepa and Alisson didn't sign till much later, so we didn't know the cost of keepers was going to rocket.

It's pretty unheard of for a club to spend that kind of money on a keeper and not make him number 1 to be honest, seems to me Blink may be right and that Emery didn't sign him, on top of that Cech has made a number of basic errors this season (as well as some good saves of course) and he still hasn't had a game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At least we should see Leno a couple of times over the next week or so. Even if it is only against that trash in the Europa and then Brentford in the cup.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blink 1nce Quince 2wice View Post
    The half time substitutions are fine, but feeling the need to bring Torreira on at half time in every game is just screaming that he should be starting. So just cut to the chase and start him. Player's coming off at half time is a little humiliating and confidence denting for them. Because it is at half time, we don't get to see the theatrics of them being annoyed at being hooked, but that doesn't mean they are not. Every player wants a chance to play better after half time.

Not especially bothered who is sacrificed for Torreira starting, as long as he starts. Xhaka had a good game overall but I'd have no problem if Emery starts Torreira and Ramsey in midfield or Torreira and Guendouzi. I thought Ramsey was pretty poor actually.

Didn't think much of our forwards yesterday neither but I think the formation isn't best suited to the players and circumstances.

The fact Leno is sitting on the bench.....a huge chunk of a very tight summer budget is why you must never remove or sever the link between the manager and the recruitment of players. Not exactly the most harmonious team planning.
    Hallmarks of Wengerism and I’m not impressed with how Emery keeps on picking the same underperforming players. I get that the players need time to click but good performances should be rewarded, poor performances punished and I’m not seeing that at all. We still don’t press teams with as much urgency as we should, still gaping holes in certain areas of the pitch that leave us exposed but I’ve yet to see Emery really shake things up with this team. Torriera should have started this week if fit enough to sit on the bench.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got to say what Emery has brought is hardly revolutionnary, I know it's early days but I was hoping for a more obvious change in the way we're trying to play, likewise with the players, the former managers players seem to be again getting free passes into the team, very little has changed.

Liverpool for me are the blueprint, pressing football with really purposeful play, all achieved in under 3 seasons which is amazing, I really don't want the same old stuff as the previous manager and his team selections thus far have been a little concerning for me, kinda proving that if you don't perform you will still start the next game which really isn't the way to motivate player to perform IMO.

We've picked up a few results since the 2 defeats, but we haven't really played particularly well and to be honest those are all games we should be winning anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Power n Glory View Post
    Hallmarks of Wengerism and I’m not impressed with how Emery keeps on picking the same underperforming players. I get that the players need time to click but good performances should be rewarded, poor performances punished and I’m not seeing that at all. We still don’t press teams with as much urgency as we should, still gaping holes in certain areas of the pitch that leave us exposed but I’ve yet to see Emery really shake things up with this team. Torriera should have started this week if fit enough to sit on the bench.
    Unless we start playing Ramsey in midfield I don't really see the purpose of having him at the club and so I am becoming more indifferent to him. I'm absolutely baffled by the pressing. I've seen very little of it in the last 3 games particularly and really expected more in this regard. We obviously have the distance covered stat in our favour but I don't think the way we have pressed is actually especially better than last season.

I didn't expect us to beat Newcastle so I'm glad we did but I think we have a scenario where we are getting the best out of very few members of the first team....and that can't be a good thing. Very disappointed we haven't seen more of Iwobi too.....to the point of him not even making the bench at times.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blink 1nce Quince 2wice View Post
    Unless we start playing Ramsey in midfield I don't really see the purpose of having him at the club and so I am becoming more indifferent to him. I'm absolutely baffled by the pressing. I've seen very little of it in the last 3 games particularly and really expected more in this regard. We obviously have the distance covered stat in our favour but I don't think the way we have pressed is actually especially better than last season.

I didn't expect us to beat Newcastle so I'm glad we did but I think we have a scenario where we are getting the best out of very few members of the first team....and that can't be a good thing. Very disappointed we haven't seen more of Iwobi too.....to the point of him not even making the bench at times.
    I’m hoping we some really good performances in the UEFA Cup to force Emery to make a tough call. So far, he’s keeping it safe, benching players that don’t deserve to be benched and trying to accommodate weak players in the team because of their seniority.

Agree on Ramsey. Mkhitaryan or Iwobi can play there. Or move either of those players to the wing to give Bellerin more support and get Ozil off the wing. That’s going to be an area that gets targeted.

Still early days but it’s a concern.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At least the fact he's been hooking the same players suggests he's aware of the areas in the team that need strengthening. A mate of mine thinks he's giving the tried and tested players enough rope to hang themselves with before enforcing his changes.

Ultimately he knows this season is a bit of a free hit so he has enough time to take a good look at everyone and still probably have enough to make a crack at 4th.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    A mate of mine thinks he's giving the tried and tested players enough rope to hang themselves with before enforcing his changes.
    There's something in that.
    You used to be everything to me
    Now you're tired of fighting