User Tag List

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Match Reaction vs Everton (home).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cech easily man of match, which says a lot.

Poor performance mainly due to Emery still not knowing his best 11.

Torriera starting was nice, but he partnering Xhaka is an overkill; Guendozi or even maybe Ramsey partnering would have helped us look more balanced as a whole.

Attackwise Ramsey and Ozil have been poor for a while and either Mhiki or preferably Iwobi should have started with one of them. Also the fact that the latter 2 actually look comfortable carrying the ball and trying to beat opponents is effective with the style Emery wants us to play.

As for the goalscorers, we thank the Good Lord he has listened and hasn't fiddled with the partnership, yet anyway.

As for our defenders, I give up. We still need a whole new back 4, but we can do with easing out Mustafi asap and giving Lichsteiner far more game time anywhere along that line.

Oh we kept a clean sheet finally, but that was 100% down to Cech.
    Last edited by 21_GOONER_SALUTE; 23-09-2018 at 11:28 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are a lot more open than last year, we concede clear cut chances every game. Everton should have been ahead, we rode our luck.

I’m really worried about us defensively against the top 5 sides (especially Liverpool and City away), we really have to stop giving away chances.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No doubt we’re going to be absolutely roasted by Liverpool in a few games time. Unless there’s a dramatic improvement at the back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 21_GOONER_SALUTE View Post
    Cech easily man of match, which says a lot.

Poor performance mainly due to Emery still not knowing his best 11.

Torriera starting was nice, but he partnering Xhaka is an overkill; Guendozi or even maybe Ramsey partnering would have helped us look more balanced as a whole.

Attackwise Ramsey and Ozil have been poor for a while and either Mhiki or preferably Iwobi should have started with one of them. Also the fact that the latter 2 actually look comfortable carrying the ball and trying to beat opponents is effective with the style Emery wants us to play.

As for the goalscorers, we thank the Good Lord he has listened and hasn't fiddled with the partnership, yet anyway.

As for our defenders, I give up. We still need a whole new back 4, but we can do with easing out Mustafi asap and giving Lichsteiner far more game time anywhere along that line.

Oh we kept a clean sheet finally, but that was 100% down to Cech.
    Agree with most of this but i still think Sokratis is good, but it's just not easy to look good all the time when you've Xhaka and Mustafi around you, plus i actually rate Holding too, he at least is prepared to simply put it out of play rather than try something stupid.

He has to drop Mustafi and Xhaka, we'll immediately be less liable to make costly mistakes

Cech did indeed save us with a top-class performance, well done him

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree with the above. Based on performances this season I'd go with Cech, Bellerin, Holding, Sokratis, Monreal, Torreira, Guendozi, Ozil, Iwobi, Auba, Laca.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cech has saved our bacon on many occasions this season. It’s alarming how frequently we’re getting carved open. Saying that, I’m glad people are starting to see that Sokratis is a good defender. Unpopular opinion, but I also see slight improvements in Bellerin and Mustafi’s game. Far away from perfect, still making mistakes but less individual blunders and our defensive mistakes seem to be more of a collective problem. That being said, it’s still not good enough and we need to improve.

Torreira played as expected. A real pitbull in the middle of the park. Tracked back, intercepted, tackled, colletcted the ball from the defence to distribute the ball. A solid performance.

That being said, Xhaka adds little to our midfield. He’s unnecessary. Despite having less of the defensive burden on his shoulders and not having to collect the ball from our defence and being able to play a little further up the pitch, he added next to nothing to our attack.

Ozil has been a terrible purchase. Terrible. He doesn’t press with any intent and is a total coward in the final third. Time to get rid of him.

Ramsey can follow him. Unai has to do something different with Ramsey and Ozil. Bench or switch their positioning.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really rate Lacazette, had a hard time from fans last season but I always maintained this guy is quality and needs his chance, you don't need to be involved for 90 minutes to be a top player, Lacazette is a finisher, he can get a goal out of nothing like he did today, that's what a finisher should be. The former manager always wanted players who were always involved (however bad they were) and didn't value finishers so it's nice to see Lacazette getting gametime under the new manager at last.

Torreira was great as well a real little terrier who also delivers meaningful passes rather than 5 yard sideways passes. Cech had a great game too and kept us in it, because in reality Everton gave us a roasting for 56 minutes until Laca scored, should have never had a chance to save some of those but Everton have got rubbish forwards who can't sore for Toffee like Walcott.

Ozil worked hard and created the 2nd goal (although it was offside but Ramsey should have scored it anyway), if we can play him into form we'll be in a good place.

Everton had a lot of pace today, thought Richarlson looked quality, very effective and we're crying out for pacey wide player or two.

Defence was caught out time after time in the 1st half, just not convinced with the personnel there, Mustafi in particular, the guy can't defend for toffee.

Ramsey for me should be dropped, out of contract and leaving next summer, no reason to play him, would also ditch Xhaka, guy is rubbish.

Overall we're winning games we should be winning so that's good, clearly not good enough to match the better sides, if Everton had a decent forward the result might have been different, but that's their issue, decent side with some quality but the forwards (one of which we finally got rid of after years) are rubbish.

Worry about playing Liverpool, they do have top class forwards, the next few games are winnable the real test is Liverpool but I don't think we're good enough to beat them bar some miracle.
    Last edited by Özim; 24-09-2018 at 08:50 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Power n Glory View Post
    Unpopular opinion, but I also see slight improvements in Bellerin and Mustafi’s game.
    Mustafi - not for me

Bellerin though, yes i felt he got back to defend his position better yesterday and his decision-making around the opponents' box is also improving i think

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Still not happy with our performances, we were really horrible first half, a really disjointed and poor display. We did improve second half but this team still needs a lot of work to improve. We are lacking in quality and organisation and it’s a big worry for me.

Positives from yesterday were Cech who was outstanding and saved us. I thought Holding played well too. Also notable mentions for Laca and Auba who both produced the goods second half.

We are really going to need to improve because if we perform like this against any of our top 4 rivals we are going to take a real beating.

Despite the above, we are grinding out wins so it could be worse!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Özim View Post
    Really rate Lacazette, had a hard time from fans last season but I always maintained this guy is quality and needs his chance, you don't need to be involved for 90 minutes to be a top player, Lacazette is a finisher, he can get a goal out of nothing like he did today, that's what a finisher should be. The former manager always wanted players who were always involved (however bad they were) and didn't value finishers so it's nice to see Lacazette getting gametime under the new manager at last.

Torreira was great as well a real little terrier who also delivers meaningful passes rather than 5 yard sideways passes. Cech had a great game too and kept us in it, because in reality Everton gave us a roasting for 56 minutes until Laca scored, should have never had a chance to save some of those but Everton have got rubbish forwards who can't sore for Toffee like Walcott.

Ozil worked hard and created the 2nd goal (although it was offside but Ramsey should have scored it anyway), if we can play him into form we'll be in a good place.

Everton had a lot of pace today, thought Richarlson looked quality, very effective and we're crying out for pacey wide player or two.

Defence was caught out time after time in the 1st half, just not convinced with the personnel there, Mustafi in particular, the guy can't defend for toffee.

Ramsey for me should be dropped, out of contract and leaving next summer, no reason to play him, would also ditch Xhaka, guy is rubbish.

Overall we're winning games we should be winning so that's good, clearly not good enough to match the better sides, if Everton had a decent forward the result might have been different, but that's their issue, decent side with some quality but the forwards (one of which we finally got rid of after years) are rubbish.

Worry about playing Liverpool, they do have top class forwards, the next few games are winnable the real test is Liverpool but I don't think we're good enough to beat them bar some miracle.
    Yep, I agree with a lot of this. I think if we are brutally honest we are not quite a top 4 yet and as such will struggle in the big games until Emery really puts his stamp on the team. This is still basically a “Wenger” team, Emery needs team to change both the personal and mentality of this team.

The Liverpool game in a few weeks time is s write off for me, we are a few levels below them right now IMO.