User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Match Reaction v Waterford (home).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always thought Holding was kind of unfairly forgotten about last season. He's usually been encouraging when partnered with a maturer competent partner and even when playing with Chambers. Yesterday like Sokratis did before him, he bailed out Mustafi a few times. He's very physical, very good in the air and composed on the ball when he's confident.

I thought Ozil was very good and is slowly building on his performances game by game. Xhaka was good defensively today although I caught him pulling somebody's shirt on a freekick which if spotted could have spoiled what had been a good performance. Not going to belly ache about it as the referee was completely oblivious but I do want us to defend properly and not just lazily pull shirts because it has long been accepted as a part of the game.

I though though Leno was really good too, I feel like he might be a bit punchy and should have stayed on his line on one occasion but his saves were superb.

I'd be tempted to swop Ramsey for Martial or Rashford though it would never happen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Auba situation can't be improved. Emery won't change the formation and I don't think he will want Auba to play closer to Laca for fear of dis-balancing the formation which he is clearly very wedded to.

Ironically though he came off early doors, I actually though Ramsey was better than in the Everton game as well as others, so that shows just how periphery he's been this season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps if you moved Ozil inside and played a harder working player on the right, like Iwobi or Welbeck, it might just free up Auba a bit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blink 1nce Quince 2wice View Post
    Auba situation can't be improved. Emery won't change the formation and I don't think he will want Auba to play closer to Laca for fear of dis-balancing the formation which he is clearly very wedded to.

Ironically though he came off early doors, I actually though Ramsey was better than in the Everton game as well as others, so that shows just how periphery he's been this season.
    The formation is fine. Emery just needs to pick the correct players for it.

Im happy with our form but unhappy with our performances, we were very lucky yesterday and for long stretches of the game Watford looked the better team.

If we keep grinding out these results fine, I just think we will come unstuck sooner or later.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're picking up 3 points and close to the top 4 despite playing quite poorly. I guess that gives me more hope when we eventually hit our stride and start playing to our full potential.

Aubameyang out wide isn't working but since we've had Ramsey and Ozil also playing outside of their usual positions, maybe if bench these two or at least get Ozil to play his natural position we may start to see better performances from Aubameyang. If you look at the average positioning of the players in the first half, Ramsey might as well have been playing as a striker and Ozil spent the majority of the half in the middle in the number 10 position. As a result, Aubameyang stayed wide and was playing deeper than Monreal who was overlapping. Once we free up middle from all that congestion we may see better performances for Aubameyang out wide.

Saying that, I don't see why Emery can't just stick Aubameyang and Lacazette up front. With the amount of games Ramsey has been getting starts for, it seems clear that he hasn't instructed Ramsey to drop deeper and get more touches on the ball and work his way onto the box from deep. If he likes how Ramsey presses, he can easily get that from Aubameyang or Lacazette along with the better quality play and finishing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tony Gale
    You used to be everything to me
    Now you're tired of fighting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by selassie View Post

Im happy with our form but unhappy with our performances, we were very lucky yesterday and for long stretches of the game Watford looked the better team.

If we keep grinding out these results fine, I just think we will come unstuck sooner or later.
    But why can't it be more than fine? Why can't it be one suited to the best players we have and the positions they are best in.

We have one of Europe's elite forwards and seriously not making the most of him. If we paid 60 million for a decent but a little mehish winger would we be so happy?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by selassie View Post

We will surely come unstuck against one of the bigger teams.

Watford caused us many problems, the Wenger defensive issues are still plain to see.

In addition, we never start playing until the second half. Again, that may prove to be too late against the bigger teams.

Torreira and Guendouzi (bargain for £7m) have started well, however, in my opinion, we still haven’t got that defensive midfielder.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If we’re going to persist with 4231, then I think we’ve got to be looking at Iwobi, Mkhitaryan and Welbeck as the wide options, because no one else we have really fits.

Personally speaking, I think 3412 might be a good fit for our current options? The most effective wide play I’ve seen so far this season has come from the fullbacks, so I’d be in favour of freeing them up to commit to the attack with less worries by fielding an extra man at the back, so we’re not frequently left badly outnumbered when they get caught up the pitch.

It would also let’s us play Aubameyang and Lacazette as a genuine partnership through the middle, whic is a huge plus, with Özil and Mkhitaryan alternating in their preferred 10 role, and we may even be able to absorb Ramsey’s cavalier ways and Xhaka’s defensive averageness in CM, if the fullbacks are free to get up and down the pitch, providing extra numbers wherever they’re needed?

(Incidentally, I’m also wondering if this kind of freer role for the fullbacks might give us something to think about with AMN when he’s back? Pep has recently introduced the idea of wingbacks who can move seamlessly into CM, and that all sounds like something that young Ainsley, who has played competently as a CM, fullback and winger, could be very good at?)

My only issue with the above is I’m not sure where it leaves Iwobi, who has done more than most to force his way into the bosses thoughts this season? Would he be happy competing with Özil and Mkhi? Can he be converted to the 2nd CM, or maybe one of these modern wingback-CMs?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I am invisible View Post
    If we’re going to persist with 4231, then I think we’ve got to be looking at Iwobi, Mkhitaryan and Welbeck as the wide options, because no one else we have really fits.

Personally speaking, I think 3412 might be a good fit for our current options? The most effective wide play I’ve seen so far this season has come from the fullbacks, so I’d be in favour of freeing them up to commit to the attack with less worries by fielding an extra man at the back, so we’re not frequently left badly outnumbered when they get caught up the pitch.

It would also let’s us play Aubameyang and Lacazette as a genuine partnership through the middle, whic is a huge plus, with Özil and Mkhitaryan alternating in their preferred 10 role, and we may even be able to absorb Ramsey’s cavalier ways and Xhaka’s defensive averageness in CM, if the fullbacks are free to get up and down the pitch, providing extra numbers wherever they’re needed?

(Incidentally, I’m also wondering if this kind of freer role for the fullbacks might give us something to think about with AMN when he’s back? Pep has recently introduced the idea of wingbacks who can move seamlessly into CM, and that all sounds like something that young Ainsley, who has played competently as a CM, fullback and winger, could be very good at?)

My only issue with the above is I’m not sure where it leaves Iwobi, who has done more than most to force his way into the bosses thoughts this season? Would he be happy competing with Özil and Mkhi? Can he be converted to the 2nd CM, or maybe one of these modern wingback-CMs?
    i was thinking on similar lines although maybe a kind of 4222:

Leno

Bellerin Sokratis Holding Monreal

Torreira AMN

Ozil Iwobi

Laca Auba

i realise that means Ozil is potentially wide but with the FBs still coming up he can drift inside easily enough without Ramsey cluttering up the place