User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Match Reaction v Waterford (home).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac76 View Post
    i was thinking on similar lines although maybe a kind of 4222:

Leno

Bellerin Sokratis Holding Monreal

Torreira AMN

Ozil Iwobi

Laca Auba

i realise that means Ozil is potentially wide but with the FBs still coming up he can drift inside easily enough without Ramsey cluttering up the place
    I would imagine most of the width would still come from the FBs there, with Özil and Iwobi going left, right central, and swapping sides

I was thinking of something like this (*you’ll have to hit reply to see the shape, instead of the formattingless blob you get after posting)...

Leno

Sok Hold Mavs
    Bell Torr Guen AMN
    Özil
    Laca Auba

My choice of players (and where I’ve put them) may not be for everyone, but I like the idea of those passing triangles / diamonds appearing up and down the pitch, depending on where the wingbacks advance to. That and not having my heart in my mouth if they get caught too high up the pitch with no chance of getting back!
    Last edited by I am invisible; 02-10-2018 at 03:51 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    3-5-2 would be ideal. That gets all our strongest players involved in their preferred positions. A diamond could also work but it feels like it's not even worth discussing formations because I can't see Emery changing it. Before the season kicked off, I had high hopes about seeing something different from Emery but it really feels like we're getting more of the same type of approach.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I am invisible View Post
    I would imagine most of the width would still come from the FBs there, with Özil and Iwobi going left, right central, and swapping sides

I was thinking of something like this (*you’ll have to hit reply to see the shape, instead of the formattingless blob you get after posting)...

Leno

Sok Hold Mavs
    Bell Torr Guen AMN
    Özil
    Laca Auba

My choice of players (and where I’ve put them) may not be for everyone, but I like the idea of those passing triangles / diamonds appearing up and down the pitch, depending on where the wingbacks advance to. That and not having my heart in my mouth if they get caught too high up the pitch with no chance of getting back!
    Terrible ideas....you mug!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blink 1nce Quince 2wice View Post
    Terrible ideas....you mug!
    Look, it’s easy to criticise - how about trying to come up with some ideas of your own, though?
    Last edited by I am invisible; 02-10-2018 at 07:29 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't wait till AMN is back. You reminded me of him.....shouldn't be too long I think.

I have tended to shut up about the formation though as I think like PnG Emery is rather wedded to 4231.

Can't argue much with our results though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be fair, he was quite open about his preference for 4241 when he joined. And it was how this same group were playing last year. AND, like you say, he’s been getting the results, so the issue hasn’t really been forced yet.

Still, we’re not actually very far into the season yet, and I fear we’re due a paddling from someone at some point, so let’s see what the response is after a couple of setbacks...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He was though I was hoping he'd do a Wenger, change his mind on it and be more flexible. Last game was not good viewing for Auba or Ramsey.....as is becoming a trend.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It does make me wonder whether a part of Emery’s brief is to (at least attempt to) extract as much value as he can from the club’s big investments before writing anyone off? Which, unfortunately, might mean persevering with certain players past the point where they merit it, and shoehorning them into roles they don’t really fit?

It’ll be interesting to see how long that perseverance lasts, if / when results start to turn...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is how i'm seening so far:

Positives:
    - Started playing Lacazette and Aubameyang
    - Results have been good
    - Had shown a willingness to make changes at half time
    - Has started mixing it up with players a bit
    - Posession football is gone
    - Less injuries so far
    - Seems to be reaonsably adaptable as in he's recognised where players can't play and has eventually moved them to positions they are most at home and most effective

Negatives:
    - Defence is still a shambles
    - Seems to be persisting with players that and aren't good enough
    - Playing Aubameyang too wide for him to be effective
    - Still playing Ramsey despite him having no future with us
    - We are being dominated by teams at times and have got a bit lucky that they haven't punished us

All in all it's not been a bad start, I guess the acid test will be Liverpool, but for me we still have far too many Wenger players involved, hopefully next season and fair few of these will have been phased out, as it stands because of the sub-standard personnel from the previous manager I just don't think we're really able to go toe to toe with the better teams.