0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 21_GOONER_SALUTE View Post
    Good post
    Make 2mrw better than 2day

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not a great result today but the run was always going to end at some point and it brings a bit more of the reality into focus, Emery has done a decent job with what he's got to work with, but in truth this is largely that sub-standard squad left over by the previous manager and we need a few new faces before we realistically can be expected to get back up there.

Man City, Liverpool and Chelsea are better than us and it'll be a battle for 4th with Spurs for us and it'll be tough to get 4th.

Been a good run whilst it lasted, my only criticism is our inability to get going in the 1st half in all games, we've not been ahead at half time in any game in the league this season and today again we just didn't perform and Palace were the better side, not really sure why but we need to address this.

On balance of play a draw was a fair result, we got a goal that shouldn't have been and maybe they got a penalty that shouldn't have as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought Guendouzi in particular was well below par and I'm not sure why he got to play out the 90 mins. He has a lot of potential but I think he needs to learn to deal with being pressed a bit better and physically he isn't quite ready for the shit kickers this league has in it. 19 years old though, so don't want to be too harsh on him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought Palaces back line were very vulnerable to the press....but seeing as we don't really press hard from the top anymore consistently since the first few games... we never really used it to our advantage today.

I assumed AMN isn't quite ready, otherwise I have no idea why he wasn't involved in today's squad or against Lisbon as he is better at left back than everyone apart from Monreal.

Can't be too harsh on Xhaka as I haven't seen his tackle and what can I expect of an immobile defensively suspect midfielder playing at left back to do against players like Zaha and Townsend.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The player we need in midfield is Arturo Vidal currently languishing on Barcas bench. We have no control in midfield and ask too much of Torriera. Xhaka gives us nothing and Guendozi has much to learn..Sorry to come over all NQ
    Make 2mrw better than 2day

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 21_GOONER_SALUTE View Post

Now IMO the biggest mistake we made today was actually quite Wengeresque- starting all 3 holding midtielders with Xhaka as LB.

It's clear he rates all 3 of them (why he rates Xhaka is beyond me) but his indescion (Emery) cost us width on the left wing and at the end cost us a penalty no serious LB would give at such a crucial stage of the game.

Why I called it Wengeresque was it reminded me of what AW use to do with all the slow passing midfielders he rated so highly and because of indescion would end up filling our midfield and attack with the same type leading to a disjointed game with silly short passes, no width, and having to pass through the eye of a needle to score.

The similarity was that we were disjointed today and not looking threatening at all.

I am not blaming Xhaka for this result, as a lot of people let us down today, but I strongly believe playing a fit again AMN and only 2 holding Midtielders would have left us more balanced.
    AMN just returned from injury and played for the U23s on Friday.

We have every full-back apart from Lichtsteiner out at the moment and even back-ups like AMN and a kid like Osei-Tutu are injured.

It's just one of those horrible situations you can't really blame on anyone.

It would be ridiculous if they're all still unavailable next weekend.
    Last edited by Master Splinter; 28-10-2018 at 05:00 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay....didn't realise AMN was playing Friday but he really needs to be phased back in pronto. He has the sort of nous and ability to just nick the ball away from that Olympic diving little twirp Zaha and the Athleticism to keep up with him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The other thing about Xhaka at LB is that he hardly ever overlaps when we're attacking. That might be a good thing defensively because there's no way he could get back in time if we lose the ball, but in attack we had no width on the left at all. When is Monreal due back?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Globalgunner View Post
    Good post
    Yeah, I thought so too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Splinter View Post
    AMN just returned from injury and played for the U23s on Friday.

We have every full-back apart from Lichtsteiner out at the moment and even back-ups like AMN and a kid like Osei-Tutu are injured.

It's just one of those horrible situations you can't really blame on anyone.

It would be ridiculous if they're all still unavailable next weekend.
    Well I noticed his name for Thursdays game and I assumed he was fit.

I can't remember it ever being this bad with defenders in Arsenal. Don't rate any defensively minded player we have except Torriera. Heard he was a LB or something like that in his former life.