User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 15 of 15

Thread: Match Reaction: Arsenal 0-0 Sporting Lisbon

  1. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    15,630
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac76 View Post
    on if Welbeck’s future is here despite the injury…
    He’s a very good person. His commitment with us is very big. He’s helped us with his behaviour, with his quality and his capacity. It’s a very big injury for him, for us, for all people who like and love him as a person."
    I think the fact he's doesn't commit to anything regarding to the future suggests he's off, this bit sums it up for me:

    It’s a very big injury for him, for us, for all people who like and love him as a person.
    A nothing kinda statement suggesting he doesn't want to address the future or contract.

  2. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    15,630
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keown said:

    Former Arsenal defender Martin Keown, working as a pundit for BT Sport, said: "Danny has had two major injuries to his knee and he tried to plant his foot and got it stuck behind him.

    "He is a great player and good for that group as he is 27, one of the older players. He will be a big loss for them. It looks like he will be out for a while."
    He makes me laugh, a "great player" and "He will be a big loss for them", talk about overstating it, yes he's useful as a sub or to come in to do a job when we're short, but he's not a match winner and certainly not a great player or a big loss, as I said he's replaceable and we have enough in our squad that we don't need to worry too much about it, we've got some decent options in attack, the defence is much more of an issue and much more affected by losing players.

  3. #13
    Member Mac76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    1,298
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Özim View Post
    I think the fact he's doesn't commit to anything regarding to the future suggests he's off, this bit sums it up for me:

    A nothing kinda statement suggesting he doesn't want to address the future or contract.
    yes, i thought the same

    btw i thought Jenkinson had a pretty good game last night including an unreal first-time cross-field pass to create an attack

  4. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    731
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Özim View Post
    Keown said:



    He makes me laugh, a "great player" and "He will be a big loss for them", talk about overstating it, yes he's useful as a sub or to come in to do a job when we're short, but he's not a match winner and certainly not a great player or a big loss, as I said he's replaceable and we have enough in our squad that we don't need to worry too much about it, we've got some decent options in attack, the defence is much more of an issue and much more affected by losing players.
    In terms of being a good squad player, adding pace and options as we head into Christmas, with cup competions and needing to rest players, it’s a big loss. Having someone who doesn’t have to settle and gel in is invaluable at the moment. Especially given the smaller resources Emery is being given to work on at the moment. He took the pressure off at the end of the game against West Ham with the third goal, ensured we progressed into the next round of the cup and won us the points against Lisbon away. In context of our current squad and where we are in terms of the season and development under Emery, Keown is right. Iwobi doesn’t score much. Neither does Mikhi. Ramsey is sporadic. Wellbeck not being around is a blow in that regard too. Can we replace him and do better for next season? Yes. But we aren’t there yet and could’ve done with him being around over the next few months at least. Squad players like Wellbeck play a fundamental role in the success of any team. Even Man City who use younger players in lesser cup competitions and latter group stages of Europe.

  5. #15
    Member Mac76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    1,298
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SMatthews View Post
    In terms of being a good squad player, adding pace and options as we head into Christmas, with cup competions and needing to rest players, it’s a big loss. Having someone who doesn’t have to settle and gel in is invaluable at the moment. Especially given the smaller resources Emery is being given to work on at the moment. He took the pressure off at the end of the game against West Ham with the third goal, ensured we progressed into the next round of the cup and won us the points against Lisbon away. In context of our current squad and where we are in terms of the season and development under Emery, Keown is right. Iwobi doesn’t score much. Neither does Mikhi. Ramsey is sporadic. Wellbeck not being around is a blow in that regard too. Can we replace him and do better for next season? Yes. But we aren’t there yet and could’ve done with him being around over the next few months at least. Squad players like Wellbeck play a fundamental role in the success of any team. Even Man City who use younger players in lesser cup competitions and latter group stages of Europe.
    I agree with that - last season I groaned every time he came on, but I think as with a lot of other players he's improved under Emery and had become very useful, so i do think it's a loss given as you say there's not a lot of goals coming from too many other players

    Along with set pieces I really think Emery has to get a grip on making sure enough of our players can have a decent chance of scoring from a variety of situations

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •