User Tag List

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Match Reaction vs Glory Glory (home).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Emery must have broken a record for formations used at the club surely??

Finally saw the formation I've wanted us to play in a 3412 at the start of the second half though. Not sure whether we will see it again though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well it seems like he's very fluid in how he approaches games, he isn't afraid to make adjustments and also use different players if the situation calls for it.

Massive contrast to Wenger and how stubborn he was with his set up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's probably part of the reason there's such a huge difference between the 1st and 2nd half.

He sets the team up to not get destroyed in the first half, has a look at how the opposition are setting up then adjusts the tactics to go and win it.

It's a bit risky and probably won't work every time, but it shows a willingness to adapt to the opposition, which was sorely, sorely missing in the latter half of Wenger's reign.
    You used to be everything to me
    Now you're tired of fighting

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    Well it seems like he's very fluid in how he approaches games, he isn't afraid to make adjustments and also use different players if the situation calls for it.

Massive contrast to Wenger and how stubborn he was with his set up.
    This is one of the biggest changes. Emery studies the opposition and sets us up accordingly. Wenger had "a system" and took the attitude that "you're better than them, go and beat them".
    That worked back in the day when we DID have better players and his fitness methods meant we were fitter (in an era when clubs still had drinking schools).
    More recently it hasn't worked, Emery is just a more modern manager, Wenger was ahead of his time but that time was 20 years ago.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great performance and great result, the goals were really great, it really pays to have two top strikers as we're so much more dangerous now, never really understood why you wouldn't have two.

Lots of energy, hunger and quality play, Emery is doing a great job so far, if you're being ultra critical you could say some of the defending was a bit suspect for their goals but all in all a really great performance, Torreira was immense and just highlights what we've been missing for so many year, Lacazette and Aubameyang also really impressive and linked up really well with Ramsey.

10/10 for Emery, he doesn't always pick the right team, but often seems to make the right changes during the match, early enough to have a real impact, he clearly analyses the opposition and sees what's happening.

Some really great team spirit as well, we're really playing as a team, I think with another transfer window or two we could be something special again, just shows how changing a manager can really changes things and galvanise a club!

Thought it was odd that Spurs didn't player Alderweireld though considering their next match is at home to Southampton.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty much agree with a lot of what you said Zim.

I still don't believe in any of the defenders we have plus I'm not sold on this formation of using all 3 CBs as it seems they just get in each others way and is another way of not taking responsibility for any opposing attacker.

Anyway stats suggest we aren't really stronger defensively yet as we have conceeded 4 goals in 2 first halves with it- but especially with the result against the Spuds and all the adversary we faced, I think Emery has earned the right to be given the benefit of doubt.

Looking forward to todays game and more tactical nous I'm clearly not getting yet but currently enjoying.

Oh and loved Lacazette performance on the right flank, I couldn't understand that choice either but it was definitely one of his best performances ever. So again, the coach has earned the benefit of doubt.