User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Match Reaction: Arsenal 1-0 Huddersfield

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It’s not all been pretty but 21 games unbeaten during a huge period of transition is good going. In most seasons we’d be closer to the top as well but that bar has been raised to unprecedented levels.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The team has shown it has determination and a willingness to adapt to Emery’s tactics. We’re like a young player with potential at the moment: we look great at times then slog it at in other games. We’re heading in the right direction which is what really matters.

The big test for the team, manager and the fans is dealing with the next defeat. Most fans took the first two as read given the opposition, but the next one is on the horizon and it could come against very unexpected competition. I wanna see how the team reacts and hopefully fans don’t start losing their shit, as they started to when we drew a few games in a row. Emery has done more than enough to show he deserves a lot of patience from us all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The fact that we havent led a single time at HT is a big concern!
    Arsene Wenger, the only football manager that got paid 8 million quid to do nothing but sit on his arse..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The fact that we're as close to the top as we are and on this 21 game unbeaten run is massively unexpected and a really pleasant surprise, but this season still represents a huge learning curve for everyone at the club, so there's bound to be some rocky times ahead. I kind of feel that those rough moments will be just as useful to Emery as the good times though, as he continues to stress-test this squad, and work out who can handle the step up to the big leagues and who is going to crack under pressure. Seems like we're already getting a pretty good idea of who contributes and who is just baggage.

The biggest concern for me right now is how hamstrung we look by these new PL rules on how much you can increase your spending by each year - we need a lot more wiggle room on that wage bill before we can start to think about rebuilding this side, and I don't know how easy that's going to be given how recently some of the players on big wages signed their contracts? I get the feeling Emery would quite happily sell all of our senior attacking midfielders if he could - really doesn't look 100% convinced by any of them, given how often he rotates and subs them, and I can't imagine he's impressed by the return he gets relative to the amount of his budget they eat up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fakeyank View Post
    The fact that we havent led a single time at HT is a big concern!
    I agree, and while i don't mind us winning ugly (apart from the actual goal) on Sunday, there's no getting away from the fact he started with the wrong line up - three at the back at home against Huddersfield wasn't necessary IMO

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Though on the flip side the fact we still haven't lost suggests a certain resilience about the team and also Emery's ability to react to what is going on and change things accordingly.

It is a bizarre fact though that we haven't led a game at HT, sooner or later it will cost us you'd imagine if we're not careful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac76 View Post
    I agree, and while i don't mind us winning ugly (apart from the actual goal) on Sunday, there's no getting away from the fact he started with the wrong line up - three at the back at home against Huddersfield wasn't necessary IMO
    3 at the back is as much a formation to get you to use your full backs with gay abandon as it is a means of shoring up your defence. It is all dependent on how the team plays it. If you're being negative you'll sit in a 5 all game but if you play it positively it will be a 3....and we already know the full backs are crucial to the way Emery plays.