User Tag List

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Match Reaction v West Ham (away).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by selassie View Post
    Oh Emery is a far superior tactician to Wenger, I have no doubt about that and I have been happy in the main with his pragmatic approach to game management.

Where I'm uncomfortable with Emery is with his recent chopping and changing of the formation and personnel to protect the defence. It isn't working, if anything we look a lot worse in all areas, he absolutely should not be persisting with this 5 at the back malarkey. We were doing fairly well last year with the 4-3-3 formation, yes we got lucky and yes the defence was leaky...but I see no improvement or progress with this back 5, we look worse!

I know I have come across quite strong on Emery but it is only because what I saw in the early stages was very promising compared to the current mess.

I didn't expect top 4 this season and am happy to write off this season but I do want to see some sort of progress, yes I realise that we may not have the personnel that Emery wants to execute his project, but at some point he is going to have to stick to a trusted formation with the players he has and make do with it. Yes we have limitations in the team / squad....but we genuinely did look like we were moving forward earlier on in the season, we looked like a legit top 4 team...not anymore...we have gone back to that "Wenger" clone team of last season!
    This is a large part of the point I’m making - when you are changing such an ingrained culture any progress won’t be continual in the early stages. You’ll take forward steps and backward steps along the way. The only way to get a clear view on how well Emery is performing is after about 18 months. So I’m not surprised we’ve looked good at times with a new identity, then at others we’ve looked liked the team of old.

Especially in defence where we’ve been down to bare bones during December, so I’m not surprised we’ve chopped and changed back there with the personnel we’ve had. Holding’s been out, Kos has struggled to come back, Mustafi has been out, along with Bellerin, Mav and Monreal - so I guess he’s been trying to figure out what to do with what we have. I also think the change in our style in terms of work ethic has taken its toll on the team, which is only natural. The same thing happened to Liverpool during their first season under Klopp. I know that by mid-November we’d put in more yards than any other team in the league, so again I’m not surprised in our first season we see some drop off at around this stage. It takes time to get that style into players who have never done it every week. And, of course, some of the players just aren’t up to it.

The big difference is that Klopp didn’t have such a legacy to shift out of the players and the set-up around them. If there is a budget in the summer and Mislintat spends it well so we can make some changes squad and we are still going through the same old thing next January, then we should be concerned.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Emery will get some time, but I think by next season we have to see a dramatic improvement and clear vision, right now it's a bit all over the place, there's an over reliance on sub standard players (I know some have said he came here and wanted to start with a clean slate, but for me sometimes that's not necessary, you can see how poor someone is based on how they performed in the past few seasons), no defensive solidity at all and some odd decisions.

IMO Lacazette and Auba must play most matches and if we're not winning stay on from start to finish as they are the most likely to get a goal, AMN should be given a shot in CM ahead of Xhaka (alternate him and Guendouzi), Torreira again must sart most games other than (maybe not cup games), obviously he can have a rest where possible but the reality is we have no cover so he should just play.

I wouldn' mind seeing Elneny over Xhaka as well if the two kids need a rest as he can't be any worse.

I'd bring Ozil back in as well, he's our highest paid player, is better than Mhiki and Iwobi who aren't that great or that effective (Iwobi has the odd decent game so I'd play him over Mikhi as well who should be sold as he's rubbish) and there's always the chance he can create something, let's face it it couldn'thave hurt using him against West Ham, we lost the game after all and our form in recent games which he hasn't featured has been dreadful so the other guys hardly deserve to be in the team themselves. At the end of the day Emery is playing Ramsey even though he's leaving, so even if he doesn't get on with Ozil he should play him and then try and sell him in the summer, what he shouldn't be doing is cutting off his nose to spite his face when he has no real decent alternatives.

Defence for me will have Mavropanos in as soon as he's fit, may as well give him a shot as Koscielny is finished and leaving in the summer I would think and Mustafi is an awful defender.

The other issue is the goalkeeper, I wanted Leno to get a chance to see if he was any good but in reality I wasn't sure about him given his lower stock and reputation for clangers in Germany. So far he's been a bit disappointing, basically confirming his reputation, we only have Cech as an option so realistically we should stick with him and see if he improves, if he doesn't our 20 million investment might have turned out as a bit of a waste, but then it was always a risk signing a keeper who's form and reputation had fallen like his.

Emery has a lot of work to do, but firstly he needs to stop sticking with certain players who don't make the grade like Xhaka/Mustafi/Mhiki etc and try something different, I don't want to see another manager who's too stubborn to see sense. In the summer I expect some decent signings as well, we need a CB for sure (a decent one, possibly two), also the full back area is a problem then I think a winger is a must and then possibly someone in midfield with some creativity to replace Ramsey, we also will probably need cover for Torreira (obviously we'd need to get rid of quite a few as well if we can).

If Leno isn't the answer then a keeper comes next.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Özim View Post
    Emery will get some time, but I think by next season we have to see a dramatic improvement and clear vision, right now it's a bit all over the place, there's an over reliance on sub standard players (I know some have said he came here and wanted to start with a clean slate, but for me sometimes that's not necessary, you can see how poor someone is based on how they performed in the past few seasons), no defensive solidity at all and some odd decisions.

IMO Lacazette and Auba must play most matches and if we're not winning stay on from start to finish as they are the most likely to get a goal, AMN should be given a shot in CM ahead of Xhaka (alternate him and Guendouzi), Torreira again must sart most games other than (maybe not cup games), obviously he can have a rest where possible but the reality is we have no cover so he should just play.

I wouldn' mind seeing Elneny over Xhaka as well if the two kids need a rest as he can't be any worse.

I'd bring Ozil back in as well, he's our highest paid player, is better than Mhiki and Iwobi who aren't that great or that effective (Iwobi has the odd decent game so I'd play him over Mikhi as well who should be sold as he's rubbish) and there's always the chance he can create something, let's face it it couldn'thave hurt using him against West Ham, we lost the game after all and our form in recent games which he hasn't featured has been dreadful so the other guys hardly deserve to be in the team themselves. At the end of the day Emery is playing Ramsey even though he's leaving, so even if he doesn't get on with Ozil he should play him and then try and sell him in the summer, what he shouldn't be doing is cutting off his nose to spite his face when he has no real decent alternatives.

Defence for me will have Mavropanos in as soon as he's fit, may as well give him a shot as Koscielny is finished and leaving in the summer I would think and Mustafi is an awful defender.

The other issue is the goalkeeper, I wanted Leno to get a chance to see if he was any good but in reality I wasn't sure about him given his lower stock and reputation for clangers in Germany. So far he's been a bit disappointing, basically confirming his reputation, we only have Cech as an option so realistically we should stick with him and see if he improves, if he doesn't our 20 million investment might have turned out as a bit of a waste, but then it was always a risk signing a keeper who's form and reputation had fallen like his.

Emery has a lot of work to do, but firstly he needs to stop sticking with certain players who don't make the grade like Xhaka/Mustafi/Mhiki etc and try something different, I don't want to see another manager who's too stubborn to see sense. In the summer I expect some decent signings as well, we need a CB for sure (a decent one, possibly two), also the full back area is a problem then I think a winger is a must and then possibly someone in midfield with some creativity to replace Ramsey, we also will probably need cover for Torreira (obviously we'd need to get rid of quite a few as well if we can).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by selassie View Post
    Seconded, great post

Selling optimism to fools KSE Comedy Club's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Özim View Post

A good post.

Except for the stuff about Ozil as he needs to go and be replaced also.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aubameyang's Wang View Post
    A good post.

Except for the stuff about Ozil as he needs to go and be replaced also.
    Yes but even if you believe that are Iwobi and Mikhi doing any better, that was my point it's all very good not playing him if you have other options and they are working, but since Ozil hasn't played Iwobi and Mikhi haven't done a lot and we've bene in pretty poor form, so they aren't any better, at least he's capable of creating something.

It's making the best out of a bad situation really, by all means replace him in the summer, but right now we don't have any better options and he's being paid 350k so we may as well try and use him.

Don't get me wrong I agree Ozil hasn't been performing, it's just that he has more ability than those who are playing instead and we've not been winning without him so clearly the replacements aren't any good. We lost againt West Ham, there's a chance that if Ozil had come on we may have got a point, there's nothing to lose at the moment really.

If it works he creates some goals we win some games and his stock goes back up, if it doesn't we're no worse off as we don't have anyone who could do better. As it stands, he's a drain on resources, we're not getting anything out of it and his value is falling and he's even harder to sell, at the end of the day we need a buyer or we're stuck with him on 350k, there's no getting round that and not playing him isn't going to help us find buyers.
    Last edited by Özim; 16-01-2019 at 12:16 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We will need another keeper next year anyway with Cech retiring.

But I do agree - maybe its worth integrating the kids like Emile Rowe etc into the first team this season, to push up their experience for a more serious effort next season to push up the table. As I think if we lose to Chelsea then top 4 is over and we wont finish lower than 6th as the other teams are too far behind and we will always be able to score enough goals against teams to keep those below at arms length.

So why not give the youth a go now like Ozim said about AMN, shame about Holding as he was doing ok and I think he does have a future, him and Mavro/Sokratis could develop an understanding. Mustafi must be quite high up on the worst Wenger signings ever.

With Ozil its difficult - I imagine he will play against Chelsea, he is our most creative player and he only needs to create one chance to be worthwhile. but if Emery doesn't want him or like his attitude then might as well get rid asap if that's possible. A sale could be difficult so a loan out but we will probably end up covering £200k/week wages anyway. So we are screwed.

So a loss this weekend and a defeat against United we might as well start planning for next season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ozil Iwobi and Mhiki can all play in the same side anyway. Emery has left Ozil out because he has an issue with Ozil....not because he thinks Iwobi or Mhki are straight up better players.

I think even if we beat Chelsea we will not finish top 4. Chelsea aren't their own best iteration right now but they still have the remnants of a title winning tea there and Manure as we can all see are playing with the momentum they should have been playing with since August.