0 Thread(s)
    Spurs winning something

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SMatthews View Post
    Spurs winning something
    which will happen next - us winning the league or spurs winning a trophy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    Yes. But if we had those extra games and Spurs and Utd had a clear run then it would give them more of an edge.
    Better they have more games too - so long as they don't do anything silly and go and win the thing
    Luckily while City and Barca are still there... cant see Spurs winning it. Hopefully, United used up all there luck yesterday otherwise we could get bashed on Sunday.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumble View Post
    which will happen next - us winning the league or spurs winning a trophy.
    I’m insulted you even have to ask.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think everyone will be waiting a very, very long time to find out the answer to that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Spurs will probably win a trophy before we win the league next. As putrid a thought as it is....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blink 1nce Quince 2wice View Post
    I think Spurs will probably win a trophy before we win the league next. As putrid a thought as it is....
    I was wondering to myself the other day, will we ever win the league again?
    In Fever Pitch Hornby talks about how he'd started to think that winning the league was something you believed in, like God. And in the 80s he'd stopped believing, we seemed like a club content to bumble around in mid-table without ever seriously threatening to go down or challenge for a title. Then in '89 he finally allowed himself to believe, then it looked like we'd thrown it away, then came Anfield '89.

Point being, past performance is not an indication of future outcomes. Hornby talks about clubs like Huddersfield - 3 titles a row in the 20s (Chapman ) and...that was it. Fortunes can change. The gap between the haves and have-nots is more marked now of course, I'd say it's pretty much impossible for us to ever go down, it would have to take some spectacular mismanagement. But will we ever win a title again while clubs like City have so much more spending power than us and that is so highly correlated with success?

Never's a long time but it's hard to see how we can win a title any time soon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There will be some windows of opportunity, like from 2014-2016 where all the top sides were going through a bit of a transition, while we had a stable squad, manager and finally some money to spend. It’s a shame that period coincided with Wenger’s downfall but I believe we could have won at least one title in those 3 seasons if we had applied ourselves correctly.

I doubt we will be in the frame again for a while though, it looks like a closed shop now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    I was wondering to myself the other day, will we ever win the league again?
    In Fever Pitch Hornby talks about how he'd started to think that winning the league was something you believed in, like God. And in the 80s he'd stopped believing, we seemed like a club content to bumble around in mid-table without ever seriously threatening to go down or challenge for a title. Then in '89 he finally allowed himself to believe, then it looked like we'd thrown it away, then came Anfield '89.

Point being, past performance is not an indication of future outcomes. Hornby talks about clubs like Huddersfield - 3 titles a row in the 20s (Chapman ) and...that was it. Fortunes can change. The gap between the haves and have-nots is more marked now of course, I'd say it's pretty much impossible for us to ever go down, it would have to take some spectacular mismanagement. But will we ever win a title again while clubs like City have so much more spending power than us and that is so highly correlated with success?

Never's a long time but it's hard to see how we can win a title any time soon.
    Exactly. Under the current conditions it's hard to foresee.... and I am kind of okay with that to an extent....as I actually think the club should spend what it makes and not profit from dubious billionaires.

I think what will have to happen is practically every club in the league and abroad be the plaything of billionaires. THEN football will inevitably reevaluate itself and find some obscure way to lessen the significance of money in the equation.

Unless we have a miracle season... I don't see it....and even in the odd year where more than 1 of our rivals have poor seasons or are in transition.....we are such a farce ourselves that we never manage to capitalise. As we should have done in the year Leicester won it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blink 1nce Quince 2wice View Post
    More Seats Than The Emirates trophy?