User Tag List

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Match Reaction v BATE Borisov (away).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BATE have defeated a English side only twice in the last 46 years.
    Guess who has been on the losing side both times?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Özim View Post
    Last night was cold, lack of effort, the players didn't fancy it, but these are largely Wenger players to be fair, he's the guy that bought them, brought them through etc it's no surprise they have no fight in them, this was always a problem with the Wenger players of recent times.
    That is just more bullshit. You can't possibly say these players are inherently flawed because Wenger bought them. Plenty of "Wenger players" have come from successful sides or gone on to success elsewhere.
    Some of them aren't good enough to challenge, fine, but they're plenty good enough to be beating sides like BATE.
    The accepted wisdom was that they had been allowed to underperform and Wenger wasn't able to motivate them, it's not unreasonable to expect a new manager to correct that and get more out of them.
    Why does it take time? To challenge, sure. We're nowhere near that but if Wenger was as bad as you've claimed then surely any new manager would get more out of this lot.
    There are plenty of examples of managers changing and not buying big and doing better than the previous incumbent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last night was the 100th game Ozil has missed for us.

So as good as 2 seasons worth of football.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We should do everything we can to get the Wolves manager, Nuno. Pay off Emery and his gang in May, How much would it cost ? 8m tops. He is the best manager out of the top 6. Next level without having to look for Zidane's phone number. Even with his own players I cant see Emery pushing us back into top 4.
    Make 2mrw better than 2day

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SMatthews View Post
    Which is why we are 5th and one point off fourth. Better than we were last season at this point. If you expected better, but we have the fifth best squad, what were the expectations?
    We are 5 points better off so far. I guess that is improvement, but over 26 games it's not much.
    I was expecting a bit more, to be honest. I've not been enjoying the football the last few years. I expected with a new manager we'd be playing better football. For a time at the start of the season, I was.
    There seemed to be real purpose while we were going forward, still a lot of wobbling at the back but remember the way we tore Leicester apart in the second half?
    The idea of a manager who apparently actually studies the opposition and sets the team up to play against them and the way they play seemed like a step forward.
    I agree about Solskjaer but a lot of people on here were claiming that it was Wenger dragging us down and "anyone" would do better. Anyone isn't doing that much better.
    I think my main annoyance now is how similar recent games have been to last season. Expected pastings against big teams, embarrassing defeats, limping past sides we should be beating confidently.
    And playing football I'm finding frustrating to watch.
    Once we went 2-0 up I never felt we would lose to Huddersfield, we were certainly never hanging on. But it wasn't a convincing win like it could and should have been
    We deserved to win but the gulf in class you should see between a team bottom of the league and one allegedly in the hunt for a top 4 finish wasn't really apparent.

Agree that the players don't get off scott free last night, I felt that under Wenger too. For all his failings the players have to take some responsibility.
    It's not good enough all round and from the owner downwards there's so much incompetence in the club.
    And, worse, Spurs are looking like we used to, going toe to toe with some of the best sides in Europe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A manager can make a whole lot of difference. We havent yet got the right man.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It took Liverpool 3 goes to find someone that could make them competitive again after Rafa Benitez.

It could be a while for us too.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That may be the issue. Maybe we just haven't found our "Klopp" yet. But the rhetoric on here over the last year was that any idiot could do better.
    Apology accepted, everyone

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    That may be the issue. Maybe we just haven't found our "Klopp" yet. But the rhetoric on here over the last year was that any idiot could do better.
    Apology accepted, everyone
    Nah, Emery is still doing better than Wenger. 5 points, 5 fkg points

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    We are 5 points better off so far. I guess that is improvement, but over 26 games it's not much.
    I was expecting a bit more, to be honest. I've not been enjoying the football the last few years. I expected with a new manager we'd be playing better football. For a time at the start of the season, I was.
    There seemed to be real purpose while we were going forward, still a lot of wobbling at the back but remember the way we tore Leicester apart in the second half?
    The idea of a manager who apparently actually studies the opposition and sets the team up to play against them and the way they play seemed like a step forward.
    I agree about Solskjaer but a lot of people on here were claiming that it was Wenger dragging us down and "anyone" would do better. Anyone isn't doing that much better.
    I think my main annoyance now is how similar recent games have been to last season. Expected pastings against big teams, embarrassing defeats, limping past sides we should be beating confidently.
    And playing football I'm finding frustrating to watch.
    Once we went 2-0 up I never felt we would lose to Huddersfield, we were certainly never hanging on. But it wasn't a convincing win like it could and should have been
    We deserved to win but the gulf in class you should see between a team bottom of the league and one allegedly in the hunt for a top 4 finish wasn't really apparent.

Agree that the players don't get off scott free last night, I felt that under Wenger too. For all his failings the players have to take some responsibility.
    It's not good enough all round and from the owner downwards there's so much incompetence in the club.
    And, worse, Spurs are looking like we used to, going toe to toe with some of the best sides in Europe
    Five points is significant if you believe we have the 5th best squad in the league, as it means we are in much closer contention with the top four than we were at this stage last season. Without significant investment, we aren’t going to jump above the top 3 (whether it’s City, Liverpool, Spurs, or City, Liverpool, Utd), so that leaves us chasing fourth spot – which was the most realistic goal for us at the start of the season. We’re on course for that so far.

We were also never going to transform from one ingrained style of play into another within a single season. When you try to course correct something that has been in place for years, it is going to happen in fits and starts – which is what we’ve seen. We have to be realistic about that. There’s been enough moments so far this season for me to see what Emery wants to do. Whether he has the players to do it, or has the ability to get into a squad he wants, remains to be seen.

I also think we have to look at the Premier League in general. Is the standard of play in many games that high? Or are we still clinging onto an outdated image? These-high pressing games don’t lead to the most aesthetically pleasing games to watch at the best of times. Spurs don’t play great football. I’d suggest only City and Liverpool probably do.

No-one was going to arrive at the club and wave a wand to make things better. That’s why our form has been up and down. Those who thought anyone could do better than Wenger didn’t give it much thought. Especially with the issues off the pitch thrown in.

So far this season there has been one pasting against Liverpool. Agreed, that shouldn’t happen even once, but on the flip side, we’ve been more competitive against the top four than in recent years. A draw at home against Liverpool no-one expected, beating Spurs at home, a draw away to Utd (which we would’ve won if it wasn’t for clown defending) and taking full points against Chelsea at home.

Spurs I’m really not worried about. They won’t win a thing. Two vitally important players are leaving in the summer for not much money. They don’t have much money to spend due to the stadium () They won’t be able to keep this up for much longer without investment. It’s annoying, and I can’t wait to see them crumble, but they can enjoy their moment in the sun while it lasts.

We’ll get past BATE into the last 16 but can’t afford another one like this again. I never thought we’d finish top 4, and am pleasantly surprised that we are right in the mix for it with a third of the season left. That’s more than enough to be optimistic about right now – once the stink of last night’s result fades away, at least.