User Tag List

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Match Reaction v Valencia (away) - Baku bound!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends how you want to rebuild the team using that money and where you are shopping. I think he has 3 years left and is at the right age and peak of of form to possibly get that sort of cash. The South American market is going be a favourite spot if Edu comes in - we’re already pretty Spanish from the execs to the manager.
    Last edited by SMatthews; 12-05-2019 at 11:44 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SMatthews View Post
    The thing is, if we wanted to sell big to raise transfer funds, the ‘big names’ are few and far between. Laca and Bellerin (who can’t be sold due to injury) are the only two we could flog for considerable funds. It would be great if it didn’t have to come to that but there’s a lot riding on Baku.
    Honestly, I think it’s more about slashing wages than raising funds for transfer fees - the ‘big names’ I’m talking about losing are all the players who are on big-name, £100k/week+ contracts (who either aren’t delivering or are coming towards the end of their careers and will need replacing soon anyway). Obviously we’d want to get good fees wherever we can, but in some cases I’d happily sanction free transfers just to be rid of certain players.

I wouldn’t be surprised if we actually had considerable sums sat in the accounts there somewhere, untapped, but even if we’re skint, we should still be able to finance most transfer fees, if the deals are structured in instalments - again, it comes down to getting overheads down so we can cover the repayments as part of our annual turnover (and not breach the new PL rules on spending).
    Last edited by I am invisible; 12-05-2019 at 12:23 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I am invisible View Post
    Honestly, I think it’s more about slashing wages than raising funds for transfer fees - the ‘big names’ I’m talking about losing are all the players who are on big-name, £100k/week+ contracts who either aren’t delivering big-name performances or are coming towards the end of their careers and will need replacing soon anyway. Obviously we’d want to get a high fee where we can, but in some cases I’d happily sanction free transfers just to be rid of them!

I wouldn’t be surprised if we actually had considerable sums sat in the accounts there somewhere, untapped, but even if we’re skint, we should still be able to finance most transfer fees, if the deals are structured in instalments - again, it comes down to getting overheads down so we can cover the repayments as part of our annual turnover (and not breach the new PL rules on spending).
    Hopefully the noise we’re hearing about transfer funds are low (not withstanding any CL money we might get if we qualify) is not true. Im not sure slashing wages will be enough to raise funds to spend, but then again I’m no financial expert so maybe you’re right. It would be the better alternative.

Ozil has already said he’s not leaving, and his agent was at it again this week. Hopefully that’s just PR rubbish so he doesn’t leave looking the bad guy.

Also, Mikhi’s agent - Mino Raiola - has been banned from making transfers for 3 months (perhaps Pogba won’t be going anywhere too)
    Last edited by SMatthews; 12-05-2019 at 01:05 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the fact we’re being heavily linked to a 17-year-old Brazilian wonderkid called Martinelli indicates where we’ll be hunting around over the coming years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hopefully the noise we’re hearing about transfer funds are low (not withstanding any CL money we might get if we qualify). Im not sure slashing wages will be enough to raise funds to spend, but then again I’m no financial expert so maybe you’re right. It would be the better alternative.

Ozil has already said he’s not leaving, and his agent was at it again this week. Hopefully that’s just PR rubbish so he doesn’t leave looking the bad guy.

Also, Mikhi’s agent - Mino Raiola - has been banned from making transfers for 3 months (perhaps Pogba won’t be going anywhere too)
    Well, the Adidas deal should give us an extra £30m of annual revenue to work with, and losing Ramsey, Welbeck, Cech and Lichtsteiner will probably free up another £25m - chuck in the basic amount that all clubs are allowed to increase their spending by each year without boosting revenue (£7m is it?) and we’re already past the £60m mark without doing a thing.

Again, it’s important to stress that we’re talking about amounts that we can increase our *annual* overheads by here, and not how much we can spend on transfer fees in one summer. If someone like Torreira, for example, was signed for £22m (ish), to be paid over 4 years, and on a contract of £70k/week (ish), then that would only account for about £8m/year of our budget (5.5 in structured repayments and 3.5 in wages) - it’s not as straightforward as saying we’ve got a transfer budget of 60m and then subtracting 22m (which is how the papers usually frame it).

It’d be a dream to get rid of Özil and Mkhi - they can both go for nothing with my blessing - but there’s literally loads we can do, even if we just leave those two to rot until their contracts expire. Mustafi and Kolasinac must be in that 90-100k/week club - both could easily be replaced with players just as good (or better) on half their wages. Xhaka too - hasn’t been the worst player this year by any stretch, but we could bring in someone just as good or better for half the money. And we’d probably get some kind of fee for all three of those guys too.

I love Koscielny and Monreal, but they’ve got to be on pretty big money after all these years, and both are going to need replacing soon anyway - might as well deal with it now.

Why are we keeping Elneny and Jenkinson around? Sell. Get them off the wage bill. The amount they actually feature for us they wouldn’t even need replacing. Ditto for Chambers - find a place for him in the squad or sell him.

I’d even consider letting Bellerin go, if a crazy offer came in - Maitland-Niles has been looking increasingly good in the same role, and is probably on a much smaller contract... nice to have two players there of that standard, but it feels like a bit of a luxury given the amount of surgery we might need.

Honestly, I’m really not worried about how we might finance a rebuild - by far my biggest concern right now is whether we actually have anyone at the club who I’d trust to oversee the recruitment!
    Last edited by I am invisible; 12-05-2019 at 01:55 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the fact we’re being heavily linked to a 17-year-old Brazilian wonderkid called Martinelli indicates where we’ll be hunting around over the coming years.
    I hope so - the more unknown the better, as far as I’m concerned. I want to go into next season as a complete mystery to everyone...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I am invisible View Post
    Well, the Adidas deal should give us an extra £30m of annual revenue to work with, and losing Ramsey, Welbeck, Cech and Lichtsteiner will probably free up another £25m - chuck in the basic amount that all clubs are allowed to increase their spending by each year without boosting revenue (£7m is it?) and we’re already past the £60m mark without doing a thing.

Again, it’s important to stress that we’re talking about amounts that we can increase our *annual* overheads by here, and not how much we can spend on transfer fees in one summer. If someone like Torreira, for example, was signed for £22m (ish), to be paid over 4 years, and on a contract of £70k/week (ish), then that would only account for about £8m/year of our budget (5.5 in structured repayments and 3.5 in wages) - it’s not as straightforward as saying we’ve got a transfer budget of 60m and then subtracting 22m (which is how the papers usually frame it).

It’d be a dream to get rid of Özil and Mkhi - they can both go for nothing with my blessing - but there’s literally loads We can do, even if just leave those two to rot until their contracts expire. Mustafi and Kolasinac must be in that 90-100k/week club - both could easily be replaced with players just as good (or better) on half their wages. Xhaka too - hasn’t been the worst player this year by any stretch, but we could bring in someone just as good or better for half the money. And we’d probably get some kind of fee for all three of those guys too.

I love Koscielny and Monreal, but they’ve got to be on pretty big money after all these years, and both are going to need replacing soon anyway - might as well deal with it now. Why are we keeping Elneny and Jenkinson around? Sell. Get them off the wage bill. The amount they’re played they wouldn’t even need replacements. Ditto for Chambers - find a place for him or sell him.

I’d even consider letting Bellerin go, if a crazy offer came in - Maitland-Niles has been looking increasingly good in the same role, and is probably on a much smaller contract... nice to have two players there of that standard, but it feels like a bit of a luxury given the amount of surgery we might need.

Honestly, I’m really not worried about how we might finance a rebuild - by far my biggest concern right now is whether we actually have anyone at the club who I’d trust to oversee the recruitment!
    The wages will be freed up - but also a lot of it will have be reallocated to new player wages. But yes, the media simplify the sales and buys away from the reality of the situation. That's why the whole 'net spend' argument is garbage, as clubs use amortisation to plan how wages and fees are run through their accounts.

It definitely won't all happen in one summer, and not even two, there's just too much to overhaul across the squad. I see Bellerin and Laca as our two biggest assets and given the way we want to play I'd say Bellerin is more important to us. But if Bellerin was fit during the summer I'd want us to consider selling and reinvesting as he'd go for £60m plus, but he won't be back until Sept/Oct. But that said, I'm on the other end of the spectrum and not convinced with AMN. He's done as well as he can there but I don't think he's a long-term option.

Selling Laca is only one option, but as you suggest, hopefully there are more that open up funds for us to progress. I think we could be seeing more of those Martinelli-type signings once Edu gets his feet under the table.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blink 1nce Quince 2wice View Post
    Mavropranos still can't get a game....
    Thats because he is either injured or banned!