User Tag List

Page 9 of 38 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Europa League Final, Chelsea v Arsenal, 20:00 BST (29/05, BT Sport 2)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    Because he's earned his place. Again, if there was a big gulf in class between Leno and Cech then there would be a strong case for playing Leno but there isn't. Both have made mistakes this season.
    I don't regard Cech as a liability. I reckon he's earned his place in the final.
    Technically he hasn't earnt his place, he's not been playing in the league at all (this is the reverse of what happened earlier on in the season), if he'd earnt his place he'd have played in the league, the fact he hasn't tells you that Emery thinks Leno is superior.

He's basically a 2nd keeper who plays cup games so that our best keeper gets a rest, it's what Leno did before he got into the team and earnt his place.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    10 PRINT ZimPost
    20 PRINT LettersPost
    30 GOTO 10

Selling optimism to fools KSE Comedy Club's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    10 PRINT ZimPost
    20 PRINT LettersPost
    30 GOTO 10
    You drunk again Letters or is it the Baltimore drugs?

Selling optimism to fools KSE Comedy Club's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Özim View Post
    Technically he hasn't earnt his place, he's not been playing in the league at all (this is the reverse of what happened earlier on in the season), if he'd earnt his place he'd have played in the league, the fact he hasn't tells you that Emery thinks Leno is superior.

He's basically a 2nd keeper who plays cup games so that our best keeper gets a rest, it's what Leno did before he got into the team and earnt his place.
    You are right to some extent Ozim, however, the right thing to do is to let Cech play ahead of Leno.

He is the keeper that we have had throughout the whole competition, and as Letters says, he has more than earnt his place in the starting line up for the final.
    It's his last game of professional football so he will want to go out on a high, and because of that I think he will play exceptionally well.

He isn't the type of guy to think 'oh well, fuck it, it's my last game whatever happens so I'm not bothered' - he wants to win a trophy to finish his career.

From next season however, Leno should be playing most games, no matter what comp we are in (except maybe the league cup).

This season isn't a complete disaster but it still isn't great, so we can let Cech have his swansong and focus on playing our strongest 11 every game next season.

I certainly don't begrudge giving Cech the nod over Leno.
    Last edited by KSE Comedy Club; 22-05-2019 at 03:05 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Leno hasn't exactly been flawless either so I wouldn't say there is a gulf between the 2 of them. What if Leno was to struggle with claiming crosses in this game? As he has done a few times this season? I'd be thinking where the fuck is Cech because that's his strength.

Cech should play, not because of any sentimental reasons but because it's the right decision for the team. As SMatthews said it would be poor management.

Leno is rightly number 1 but this game is unlikely to be won or lost on the strengths of the keeper. Unless he has a complete and utter disaster but that could happen on any day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has Cech really been that good in this competition anyway, we've had some terrible results against nobodies earlier on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aubameyang's Wang View Post
    You are right to some extent Ozim, however, the right thing to do is to let Cech play ahead of Leno.

He is the keeper that we have had throughout the whole competition, and as Letters says, he has more than earnt his place in the starting line up for the final.
    It's his last game of professional football so he will want to go out on a high, and because of that I think he will play exceptionally well.

He isn't the type of guy to think 'oh well, fuck it, it's my last game whatever happens so I'm not bothered' - he wants to win a trophy to finish his career.

From next season however, Leno should be playing most games, no matter what comp we are in (except maybe the league cup).

This season isn't a complete disaster but it still isn't great, so we can let Cech have his swansong and focus on playing our strongest 11 every game next season.

I certainly don't begrudge giving Cech the nod over Leno.
    I'd look at it as we need to win this, if we don't the season would have been a poor, there's a lot at stake, he has played in the rest of the competition but the reason for that is clear, Leno was number 1 and we were prioritising the league games, so we used Cech in the EL to rest him.

I know it's Cech's last game, but we could just bring him on in the last few minutes if we're winning comfortably.

Anyway it'll probably be Cech who plays, let's hope he doesn't have one of his dodgy games, against his former clubs no less. What I will say about Cech is he didn't come here because he wanted to win stuff, because let's face it that was never really going to happen here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Barring injury, it’s safe to assume Cech is going to start.

But he’s the least of our worries with both Ramsey out and no option to use Micki from the bench if needed.

It definitely means starting Ozil and hoping he turns up for a big game. Iwobi will also prob have to start.

It’s good news that Welbz may make the bench, as we have no other attacking experience to use as back-up.

The only other option is Emery changing the formation, which I wouldn’t expect, but he could do it with so few attacking options.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In truth I'm not too bothered about Mkhitaryan, he's been pretty poor this season and doesn't offer much, I wouldn't mind if we sold him this summer, Ramsey is a bigger miss.

Just have to hope Auba and Laca turn up, they're the ones we'll be relying on and perhaps some creativity from Ozil, other than those we've got very little creative quality.

Think we'll be underdogs for this, it might be Hazards last game and he might want to go out with a bang and with the state of our defence it's certainly a worry, as is Xhaka who is always likely to make an error leading to a goal.
    Last edited by Özim; 22-05-2019 at 04:30 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mkhitaryan is hardly a key player but on principle it’s annoying that they’re holding the final in a place which means for political reasons one of our squad can’t play.

I’d say Chelsea start as favourites but there’s not much in it.
    Could go either way.