User Tag List

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Europa League Final Autopsy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Frankly, we got what we deserved, another humiliation for the whole world to bear witness to.

To think we waited so many years for another European final just to make ourselves look like muppets. To think I laughed so hard at Watford !

We don't learn lessons at Arsenal, we never do, and anytime people try to point out our frailties we get all defensive and high mighty; just like a lot of us did to Cech for pointing out the obvious this week.

As for the match, Emery started our strongest team (except for maybe Bellerin) and that fact alone should scare all of us.

Tactically he was a bit slow today, he should have responded with changes once we went one down but to be honest, no matter how I play it in my head, I can't see these bunch of players and this manager winning that match and carrying the cup with the CL spot; it would be to great a leap for their fragile minds to fathom. I dont think Chelsea were that much better than us on the day, but hey, big clubs just do enough to win, especially when it matters.

So again we stare at dissappointment like we have been doing since Barca, our last great hurrah... we were like 20 mins away from glory with only 10 men against the best team in the world- compare that to losing 4-1 against a deflated Chelsea with a manager struggling to keep his job despite wrapping up CL football..... wow, these are really dark times at Arsenal FC.
    Last edited by 21_GOONER_SALUTE; 29-05-2019 at 11:24 PM. Reason: .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are no standards at this club and that comes from a lack of real football men at the top. Chelsea finished 3rd and won this but could well give their manager the boot. If Emery delivered what Sarri has he’d be our lord and saviour. Levels...

Say what you want about the hierarchy at certain other clubs but at least they have people at the top who are driven by footballing excellence and not the clubs business profile.
    Last edited by Marc Overmars; 29-05-2019 at 11:43 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Özim View Post
    Thought we had a good chance given Emerys' record in the EL, so really disappointed with this, it's just more of the same really another beating when it matters, Chelsea outclassed us.

In truth this team needs to be dismantled entirely, there's probably about 5 -6 players worth keeping, Leno, Torreira, Aubameyang, Lacazette, Bellerin and Guendouzi, the rest can be sold and with them hopefully all that's left of this bottling mentality that came about with the previous administration.

Frankly this season has been poor, we've been rubbish in the league when it mattered and if we're honest average in the EL as well losing games against nobodies.

The manager has to take some blame as well, not enough has changed and the collapse at the end of this season has been unacceptable, personally I'm not impressed with Emery he's got a lot to prove and I'm not sure he's up to the job, his job should definitely be at risk as this season has been a failiure and yet the guys at the top are telling us they're delighted with him, what kind of message does that send out.

Seems to me Emery might get years like his predecessor based on those words, only at Arsenal do you need to achieve nothing to keep your job, incidentally this was Sarris' first ever trophy, another first for us....

Right now this is a sorry excuse for a football club.
    Fuck. See what you've reduced me to, Arsenal? I'm agreeing with Zim!
    Zim!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As discussed, I'm in the US and it kicked off at 3pm here.
    I was in the office then but wasn't too involved in the meeting going on around me so managed to stream some of it, saw most of the first half and a bit of the second.
    Actually thought we started brightly, we bossed the first 30 minutes. After that Chelsea got into it and they had 2 good chances which Cech saved well.
    I saw the Giroud goal but then had to leave the office so lost connectivity. By the time I got back to my hotel it was 4-1
    What the piss happened there?

Actually thought we'd win this one. I don't think Chelsea are a team to fear and given Emery's record thought we had a good chance.

As a season...well, we were marginally better in the league but the collapse at the end was pathetic, top 4 was there for the taking and we buggered that right up.
    Tonight...well, one shouldn't judge a season by one game and overall our run in the competition was good but we really shouldn't be getting dicked like that.
    I can take a narrow defeat but a thumping like that isn't good enough.

Emery is under pressure next season, he has to deliver more or #EmeryOut.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Says a lot when your best players were your retiring goalkeeper, and two subs.

I used to be gutted when we got beat. Now I’m just angry.

The sport is one I don’t recognise anymore due to the money in the game, but sadly we have the worst of all worlds when it comes to the bigger clubs....a club owned by a billionaire, who is only content with harvesting all of the cash out of the club, and taking it’s soul with it.

Yeah, if the shoe was on the other foot and all that. But seriously? Football? Enjoyable? Fuck off.
    It's better to burn out, than to fade away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The worst thing about this for me is that I only checked the news to find out the result before going to bed... and then just shrugged. Angry, ranting fans are one thing - at least it shows they still care - but when it gets to the point where you’re just not that bothered anymore... that can’t be good for the club?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I am invisible View Post
    The worst thing about this for me is that I only checked the news to find out the result before going to bed... and then just shrugged. Angry, ranting fans are one thing - at least it shows they still care - but when it gets to the point where you’re just not that bothered anymore... that can’t be good for the club?
    It starts and ends with the ownership. If the owner isn’t proactive, doesn’t show leadership or demonstrate passion and a desire to fight for this club, then nobody within it will. Anyone within the club that does show fight and passion will be driven out through frustration whilst surrounded by complacency and disinterest. We’ve seen this for a long time already. We had years of warnings before we approached and subsequently passed the tipping point.

All passion, energy and desire has been driven out of the club and it is now even at the point where a significant part of the fan base are engulfed in this lack of interest.

In my opinion, there is nothing that will, or can be done, until Kroenke is gone.
    If you don’t send this signature to ten people, you will become a Spurs fan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post

Emery is under pressure next season, he has to deliver more or #EmeryOut.
    I don't think he's shown anything as a coach that suggests he can get his players to go above and beyond what they're capable of. He's only contracted for another 2 seasons so realistically he needs to earn himself a new deal next year and the only way he will deserve that is CL qualification.

The problem we have though is that no top coach will want to work with the financial restrictions we have. We're snookered for the foreseeable future.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Unaibomber View Post
    It starts and ends with the ownership. If the owner isn’t proactive, doesn’t show leadership or demonstrate passion and a desire to fight for this club, then nobody within it will. Anyone within the club that does show fight and passion will be driven out through frustration whilst surrounded by complacency and disinterest. We’ve seen this for a long time already. We had years of warnings before we approached and subsequently passed the tipping point.

All passion, energy and desire has been driven out of the club and it is now even at the point where a significant part of the fan base are engulfed in this lack of interest.

In my opinion, there is nothing that will, or can be done, until Kroenke is gone.
    To be fair, it’s not all on the club - in my case a big part of it is simply down to where my life is right now: I have more responsibility at work than I used to have in my teens and 20s, so I have less time during the day to idly chat football; I commute. I do all the cooking when I get in; and I have 2 little girls who deserve whatever’s left of my attention up until they’re asleep. Basically I end up with maybe half an hour to myself at the end of each day, and I just refuse to gamble that precious half hour on a game of football any more - it has too much potential to ruin my day.

(Oh, and I lost my old man back in 2012, too - being able to follow the club with him was a big part of why I enjoyed being more invested in it.)

Don’t get me wrong, I’m actually quite happy being a casual, armchair fan these days - it’s far less stressful than following what we’re doing 24/7 - but even so, I’d still like to care about our results a little bit more than this!

And you’re right - that apathy starts at the top. It starts at the top and then just keeps going. The owners don’t care. The CEO and MD don’t care. The coach might care a little, but he’s the least permanent member of staff there. And most of the players clearly don’t care. Very hard to muster the energy to care yourself when you get the sense that no one at the club does...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I am invisible View Post
    To be fair, it’s not all on the club - in my case a big part of it is simply down to where my life is right now: I have more responsibility at work than I used to have in my teens and 20s, so I have less time during the day to idly chat football; I commute. I do all the cooking when I get in; and I have 2 little girls who deserve whatever’s left of my attention up until they’re asleep. Basically I end up with maybe half an hour to myself at the end of each day, and I just refuse to gamble that precious half hour on a game of football any more - it has too much potential to ruin my day.

(Oh, and I lost my old man back in 2012, too - being able to follow the club with him was a big part of why I enjoyed being more invested in it.)

Don’t get me wrong, I’m actually quite happy being a casual, armchair fan these days - it’s far less stressful than following what we’re doing 24/7 - but even so, I’d still like to care about our results a little bit more than this!

And you’re right - that apathy starts at the top. It starts at the top and then just keeps going. The owners don’t care. The CEO and MD don’t care. The coach might care a little, but he’s the least permanent member of staff there. And most of the players clearly don’t care. Very hard to muster the energy to care yourself when you get the sense that no one at the club does...
    You’ve got your priorities completely right. Regardless of how the team is doing.
    If you don’t send this signature to ten people, you will become a Spurs fan.