User Tag List

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Europa League Final Autopsy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is only so much you can do with the team we have, Lots of has been and never have beens in this team. That was the best team we could have put out minus probably Leno, Holding and Bellerin. We have no defence and a weak midfield. a midfield that has Xhaka as the first name in it is going to be bang average ab inito. Without significantly better personnel or a change in the coaching crew, next season will look remarkably just like this one. We recruited the wrong manager to fix the sorry mess that Wenger left behind. We need to get the Wolves manger before he goes to Barca next season. NES is superior to Emery in every way.

This is a team without a single game changer in the entire squad....Not one.
    Make 2mrw better than 2day

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    I don't think he's shown anything as a coach that suggests he can get his players to go above and beyond what they're capable of. He's only contracted for another 2 seasons so realistically he needs to earn himself a new deal next year and the only way he will deserve that is CL qualification.

The problem we have though is that no top coach will want to work with the financial restrictions we have. We're snookered for the foreseeable future.
    I think he’s shown glimpses of interesting ideas, and we have strung some impressive patches together - the problem he has is this millstone of inherited players that he has tied around his neck. Before he can even attempt to coach his own ideas into those players, he first has to coach all of their bad habits out of them, teach them tactical basics (which he really shouldn’t have to at this level), and eradicate the meak acceptance of mediocrity that has become the dominant mindset and culture within the group.

If I thought there was any hope at all of him being able to do any of that, then I’d be happy to ride it out, but at this point, I honestly believe it would be better for us to get rid of as many of the worst offenders as possible, and give Emery the blankest canvas we can to work with. If that means a heavy reliance on our younger players and a couple of years of being well out of the running, then so be it...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally for the 1st time in years I'm really disappointed because despite everything this was a European trophy (I know lots of people see it as a tin pot trophy) and a possible sign of change after an indifferent season, I know this is a secondary european trophy but do you know what we haven't won one for so long and it would have got us in the CL, the money from it and a chance to get rid of a lot of these losers.

Sadly we lost, convincingly in the end (could have been even worse) and that ended any hope of change we might have. Unfortunately as someone said it comes from the top, the owner just couldn't care less, the people below him are publicly praising a manager who really hasn't done a lot and the players to be honest probably will go off on their hols and forget about this as they don't have the hunger and aren't winners.

When it comes with the manager, he didn't get a lot of money last summer, I'll give him that, but then he's not really changed that much, if we look at the team can anyone tell me that much has changed in the way we play or perform, if it has it's very hard to see. Emery brought in Suarez in January which was an utterly pointless signing, he wasn't any good and barely played. As for the collapse at the end of the season, no excuses really, he should have been able to affect the players in some way to stop the rut, instead all and sundry were beating us.

Even in the EL we've been average most of the time, it's not exactly been an impressive display. Special mention for AMN as well, 3 errors 3 goals, should have been off way before that to be honest, you can't make 3 errors leading to 3 goals in one game. IMO he's a rubbish defender, if he has to play it has to be in midfield and if he does he needs to perform or be scrapped.

Honestly don't know where we go from here, looks like we'll have no money so we'll probably see a lot of these bottlers again, can we even sell most of these guys and if we do it'll be for peanuts.

Another sad day for AFC.
    Last edited by Özim; 30-05-2019 at 08:00 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Giroud taking the piss.

https://metro.co.uk/2019/05/30/olivi...ctory-9735512/

An Arsenal man indeed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I am invisible View Post
    I think he’s shown glimpses of interesting ideas, and we have strung some impressive patches together - the problem he has is this millstone of inherited players that he has tied around his neck. Before he can even attempt to coach his own ideas into those players, he first has to coach all of their bad habits out of them, teach them tactical basics (which he really shouldn’t have to at this level), and eradicate the meak acceptance of mediocrity that has become the dominant mindset and culture within the group.

If I thought there was any hope at all of him being able to do any of that, then I’d be happy to ride it out, but at this point, I honestly believe it would be better for us to get rid of as many of the worst offenders as possible, and give Emery the blankest canvas we can to work with. If that means a heavy reliance on our younger players and a couple of years of being well out of the running, then so be it...
    Emery is not the coach to give a blank canvas to. He's never been great and he will never be great. This season is a true reflection on who he is a manager.

He ain't good enough and he never has been. He's a Europa League manager, simple as.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We were pretty good for 40 minutes. But once they scored in 2nd half we were dross. The fact our glimmer of hope lasted 3 minutes typifies arsenal.

Look at united the problems they have had replacing Ferguson despite the money spent and he left them as champions.

I fear we will go through a fair few managers before being competitive and with a 40m budget we might have to wait for the cyclical nature of football to help us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hobson's choice View Post
    Emery is not the coach to give a blank canvas to. He's never been great and he will never be great. This season is a true reflection on who he is a manager.

He ain't good enough and he never has been. He's a Europa League manager, simple as.
    We are an europa league club.

Perhaps we need to use the youth players. Give them a chance. Just need to find a manager who can develop them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    Giroud taking the piss.

https://metro.co.uk/2019/05/30/olivi...ctory-9735512/

An Arsenal man indeed.
    What is an “Arsenal man” these days?

And, who was the last one you’d call an “Arsenal man”?

Serious questions because I can’t think of a current example.
    If you don’t send this signature to ten people, you will become a Spurs fan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I am invisible View Post

I'm not too sure what Emery has shown if I'm being honest, we started the season unable to perform in the 1st half (this went on for months) despite winning games, we ended the season losing game after game and not knowing where our next win would come from, even against 10 man Watford we got completely dominated and were lucky to scrape a win.

He's not improved the defence at all, the style of play isn't that great to watch, off the ball we're no better than we were and the same players get away with error after error (AMN last night) with few repercussions.

I'm starting to feel like he's just not having enough of an impact, he's not enough of a disciplinarian, IMO we needed someone tougher, someone who wouldn't accept some of the performances, he's not covered himself in glory this season, I understand the players are average but still we should be seeing more of a system and more of an obvious impact.

Even last night he wasn't particularly angry, he seemed to say we're a work in progress, which is true bu 4-1 in a final isn't acceptable.

Based on what we've seen this season and his career, he doesn't on the face of it appear to be a top manager, he's got another season but he really needs to show something more concrete, the team needs to have a clearer identity brought in by him, right now it's not that different to what was there before and that's just not good enough.
    Last edited by Özim; 30-05-2019 at 09:59 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Unaibomber View Post
    What is an “Arsenal man” these days?

And, who was the last one you’d call an “Arsenal man”?

Serious questions because I can’t think of a current example.
    No idea, the club has no identity anymore and the team is very hard to like.

The whole thing needs to be demolished and levelled before we can even think about moving forward. Losing is firmly embedded in the DNA of this club now.