User Tag List

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Newcastle United v The Arsenal, 14:00 BST, SS Main Event (10/08)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I am invisible View Post
    I’d love to think Emery would have the bottle to play Nelson or Martinelli over Mkhi, but I reckon you’re probably right on that one *sigh*

Do you think Luiz will be ready to go straight in after 2-3 days at the club? I wouldn’t be surprised if Chambers got the nod...
    I think it is a risk in terms of familiarity but I think we might just need to accept that. If Sokratis' English really is that bad though, then I suppose being with Luiz won't make much difference on the communication front.

I'm really not sold on Nelson and haven't seen enough of Martinelli but Mhki is so hit and miss I'd welcome seeing others play.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blink 1nce Quince 2wice View Post
    I think it is a risk in terms of familiarity but I think we might just need to accept that. If Sokratis' English really is that bad though, then I suppose being with Luiz won't make much difference on the communication front.

I'm really not sold on Nelson and haven't seen enough of Martinelli but Mhki is so hit and miss I'd welcome seeing others play.
    I’ve seen Nelson look brilliant and I’ve seen him look anonymous - not sure which one we’d get, but I’d rather chuck him in as an unpredictable wildcard than go with Mkhi who is utterly predictable and who we know will be anonymous if we play him on the wing.

I think I’d lean towards Martinelli over both though - haven’t seen a great deal of him in an Arsenal shirt yet, but he’s looked focussed and dangerous in the few minutes I have seen from him. I think he might be first-team ready (or very close to)?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As frustrating as he is, suppose we can't have Mhki and Ozil ducking games all season simply because of how much we pay them.....and Mhki was the best player for us for a solid month and a half / 2 months last season so he's capable of turning it on.

Don't think Nelson or Saka are of the level required to give regular games to though, so a bit gutted we lost Iwobi on that front.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blink 1nce Quince 2wice View Post
    As frustrating as he is, suppose we can't have Mhki and Ozil ducking games all season simply because of how much we pay them.....and Mhki was the best player for us for a solid month and a half / 2 months last season so he's capable of turning it on.

Don't think Nelson or Saka are of the level required to give regular games to though, so a bit gutted we lost Iwobi on that front.
    Their wages are more of an annoyance to me than anything now. At the start of the summer I was genuinely worried that they would hinder our ability to recruit, and leave us hopelessly reliant on having to pick the two of them each week. But as it turns out we’ve actually recruited really well, and we’ve ended up with plenty of other options to choose from, so I’m not nearly as bothered about it as I was.

The principle of it still rankles, of course, but I’m way past the point where I’m expecting to see any kind of value for money from them. I really hope it’s not a factor that Emery has to consider when picking a team - that should have been what his first season was all about.

For what it’s worth, I don’t think the younger players like Nelson and Saka are starting-quality yet either, and I’m sure they’ll have plenty of games to forget along the way, but I will say this for them: at the very least, I expect them to be eager to impress and to look busy when given a chance. Plus we’d actually be working towards something with them, developing potential. I can live with either Özil or Mkhi as a no.10, but I just don’t see where we’re going or what we’re hoping to achieve with them as wingers.

Administrator McNamara That Ghost...'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lacazette and Pepe were both training with the main group, David Luiz also.

Funny photo where it looks like Sokratis is incredulous somehow Mustafi is still here.

https://www.arsenal.com/news/first-t...-league-opener

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I am invisible View Post
    Their wages are more of an annoyance to me than anything now. At the start of the summer I was genuinely worried that they would hinder our ability to recruit, and leave us hopelessly reliant on having to pick the two of them each week. But as it turns out we’ve actually recruited really well, and we’ve ended up with plenty of other options to choose from, so I’m not nearly as bothered about it as I was.

The principle of it still rankles, of course, but I’m way past the point where I’m expecting to see any kind of value for money from them. I really hope it’s not a factor that Emery has to consider when picking a team - that should have been what his first season was all about.

For what it’s worth, I don’t think the younger players like Nelson and Saka are starting-quality yet either, and I’m sure they’ll have plenty of games to forget along the way, but I will say this for them: at the very least, I expect them to be eager to impress and to look busy when given a chance. Plus we’d actually be working towards something with them, developing potential. I can live with either Özil or Mkhi as a no.10, but I just don’t see where we’re going or what we’re hoping to achieve with them as wingers.
    I'm happy to see Mhki get a mini run wide whilst we are integrating late arrivals into the team and or/ determining go to formations but I'm probably in a minority.

I think Saka could have done with a loan but our wide options could easily be;

Aubu
    Pepe
    Martinelli
    Nelson

and I'd be fine with that.

Saka may still yet go out on loan though I suppose as may others.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is the loan window still open for outgoings? I can't find anything to suggest that it is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McNamara That Ghost... View Post
    Is the loan window still open for outgoings? I can't find anything to suggest that it is.
    Think external loans last as long as each individual window.

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/blog...desligaligue-1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I assumed loaning abroad was the same as selling abroad. I haven't seen anything to suggest it isn't.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah yes it does seem to suggest they could still be loaned out.

I think only one of Nelson/Willock/Saka would be and even then I am doubtful.