User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Match Reaction v Burnley (home)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 21_GOONER_SALUTE View Post
    First of all, we've never had a front two as dangerous as these 2 and AW gets the plaudits for this
    Wenger signed Lacazette but I think Auba was forced on him.

I remember him being asked about Auba and whether he was going to arrive and Wenger replied with an emphatic 'NO'

Wenger signed far too many idiots, some of which are still here, for him to deserve any credit whatsoever.

He put this club back years in his last 2/3 years here.

Administrator McNamara That Ghost...'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He also said he didn't know who Cazorla was, we signed him about a week later.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just pay the first instalment of whatever the fuhk Ceballos is going to cost now. Seriously. Watching him from the North bank I did, wonder whether how good he was would quite come across on tv. That was a daft notion....

Reiss, disappointing again and it was the right decision to take him off. Not because he's an accident waiting to happen or he's going to lose us the game, but what we are on the brink of is building a culture and side where in his position you get it it because of what you ADD to the team and not based on providing assurance that you will not cost us the game.

Monreal is at the end of his career but honestly, he and Ceballos were in perfect harmony. Effortlessly finding and understanding each others actions and movement.

I thought when Pepe came on we looked absolutely scintillating without actually managing to score. Pepe looks like he really does have all the skills we have been missing. If only John Terry was still playing so we could see him put Terry on his arse.

Leno still a bit unsure at crosses which to my mind has always been the weakness in his game. I actually think he just needs to learn to really shout, so that everybody is shocked into getting out of his way. Far too quiet and generally a lack of communication between the backline at times.

If nothing else Ceballos has shown the profile of player we really should have our eye on. You don't necessarily need an all singing dancing, assisting and scoring midfielder to run games or really improve. I hope that if we don't sign him, which in all likelihood we probably won't, that we keep our ears to the ground on a player in this mould.

Great result and lovely to be top of the league if only for a moment! Up the Arse. When you are that technically gifted and clever, you needn't be a big bartarrd in midfield. He was the best player on the field from pretty much the start.

Up the Arse!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really think we might have lucked out with Ceballos and Willock this year - those two look like they can both switch between playing as an 8 or a 10 without breaking stride, and that’s gonna give us a lot of in-game, tactical flexibility in the middle. Impressive work rate from the two of them too - we’ve got the foundations of a good engine.

How did Guendouzi look today? I’ve read some say that he was a bit meh, and others praising his distribution (90% pass completion rate with 50% of them going forward). Easy to forget that he’s only a kid himself, after the amount of game time he got last year...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guendouzi is a gem of a player. He's still a bit rough around the edges but he's still so young.
    NOTE: The location of this post has been moved and the thread title (which was previously Wenger is Leaving) has been manipulated by a notorious pro-Wenger moderator. What was previously a message that contained no profanity and made a comment on a real life event has now been manipulated by a deliberately provocative title. An old and crude propaganda and censorship technique.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought he was a little on the fringes at times but didn't mind that as Ceballos really took control in midfield. I thought Willock wasn't as involved as he could have been too, but again, didn't mind that as others took centre stage as they should have.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually laughed out loud watching Pepe make fools of Burnley lugs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blink 1nce Quince 2wice View Post
    I thought he was a little on the fringes at times but didn't mind that as Ceballos really took control in midfield. I thought Willock wasn't as involved as he could have been too, but again, didn't mind that as others took centre stage as they should have.
    Yeah, I expect Willock will be a little deferential to begin with. Fabregas was the same in his first senior season - the consistency was there immediately, but he kept things simple and would usually move the ball on to a team mate rather than attempting anything audacious.

Probably not a bad thing, tbh - if Ceballos is looking like the midfield general then you probably need players around him to be a little deferential when he’s pointing and barking orders. Doesn’t really work if everyone has their own ideas.

Hope we get to see more of that trio in the middle - need to work out how to balance themselves defensively when one / two of them push forward, but there’s a little bit of everything there...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GP View Post
    Guendouzi is a gem of a player. He's still a bit rough around the edges but he's still so young.
    I know I said we’d lucked out with these players, but really you have to applaud the recruitment and the youth strategy - they’ve pretty much put that midfield together for about 11m!

Need to make sure we keep Man U out of the CL so Pogba goes to Madrid...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Before the game, what I was hoping Willock would pick up the ball and really run at them which he is good at doing and would inevitably draw fouls from Burnley and leave space for other players. He was a touch more conservative, perhaps because Burnley actually pressed us high up, so maybe he didn't want to leave space in behind.

Ceballos seemed to be pressing them too, and then he came deep quite a fair bit too distributing the ball, so he was kind of everywhere. I actually liked the technical ability of Suarez but Ceballos is bisto.

Lord knows if we had signed a Top CB (known for his defensive prowess) I think a lot more people would be talking about a title challenge, however silly that might be.