User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Match Reaction v Liverpool (away)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Administrator McNamara That Ghost...'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Match Reaction v Liverpool (away)

Big improvement on last season game-for-game.

That nonsense at Anfield done with for another season.

On we go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A defeat will temper expectations a little. There is a downside to winning the first two games after all. Pepe looked good in the first half but needed more composure with that big chance. Can’t afford a season of Luiz doing that either. Need to be much better at home next week.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two goals from mistakes again.

Had enough chances to get a result.

Three first-choice defenders injured.

Not embarrassed as in previous seasons here.

Still a work-in-progress team with lots of new and young players against the best Liverpool team in three decades.

Make up for this next week and it's a good start to the season.

Willock and Guendouzi played well and if Pepe starts finishing those chances, he'll be a great asset.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Too easy for them. Emery once again continues to out smart no one but hisself.

We need better from the midfield. I really can't stand what modern day coaching has done to midfield play.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't watch much of it because we all knew what was going to happen.

I know its easy to be wise after the event and its negative but I would have played 3-5-2 and kept Monreal well away from it.

Arsenal are in a fight for 4th place at best with Man Utd and Chelsea.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where is fairy cake these days ?

Is he ill ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SMatthews View Post
    A defeat will temper expectations a little. There is a downside to winning the first two games after all. Pepe looked good in the first half but needed more composure with that big chance. Can’t afford a season of Luiz doing that either. Need to be much better at home next week.
    Need to be, but won't be.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Özim View Post
    Tough game no doubt, but Emery lost us the game the minute he named that lineup.

Torreira should have been in instead of Xhaka, Lacazette should have played as well, the only way we we're going to get anything is to try and score as many as them by testing Adrian.

Then his subs were too late to make a difference.

Outclassed today in truth, Liverpool better in every department (apart from goal) and won this comfortably.

Doubts over Emery remain IMO.
    My doubts over Emery are over, I'm certain now what to expect from him.

Once I saw the lineup (as predicted in the Match thread) I didn't bother myself to much and busied myself doing chores and some much needed spring cleaning.

I only half watched the match so I can only talk about it patchily.

I am happy with Willock's progression so far and Pepe was decent, though if you ask me the manager just threw him in front of the bus!

DL will probably cost us as much goals as Mustafi if he stays as CB. We just have to hope his overall contribution (attackwise) leads to us evening out the points he's going to make us lose. I'm eating my words on this signing.

As for the game as a whole, it went exactly the way Emery planned and I'm sure he's pleased with himself wherever he is.

This manager cannot compete in a league with the likes of a Klopp, Pep and Pochetino. The best we can get from him is the odd cup no one wants to win and maybe a CL space if no other decent manager takes over the Chavs or Manu.

It's sad, because I can say with a certainty that no one will be breaking points record this season with VAR around. We could have done something really special if we'd gotten our act together and strengthened our real weaknesses this summer. We could even still be a competent pretender if we focused on our strengths but.......

....instead, we find ourselves a Year+ after AW not knowing exactly how we've changed. Chelsea have had 3 different managers (plus a transfer ban) in that period and everyone can clearly see the 3 different visions of how a side should play. Emery is turning out to be as POINTLESS as his FAVOURITE who miraculously recovered to star for a full 90 mins in another crap showing at Anfield.
    Last edited by 21_GOONER_SALUTE; 24-08-2019 at 11:25 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Todays' game showed Emery hasn't learned anything from last season, we played into Liverpools' hands with the tactics, giving up space to them on the flanks where they are so dangerous (where is the logic), we know they press and yet again we tried all the cutesy passing out from the back all the time despite having pacey forwards we could use to catch them on the counter, I don't get it to be honest.

Lineup was wrong, tactics were wrong, subs were too late, Emery did nothing right.

What we saw today was what I was worried about, the reality is the guy isn't a very good defender, his decision making is questionnable and today he cost us two goals with it, if that's our idea of improving the defence, we're going to need a lot of luck.

As 21GS said Emery choosing to persist with the very limited Xhaka is a massive problem for us, the guy has proven time after time he's not up to the job, yet unfortunately Emery seem to have a soft spot for him.

All very odd, some might be happy with losing 3-1 (it could have been a lot worse to be honest as Liverpool were coasting in this game and looked light years ahead of us), but for me it's not the losing 3-1 it's the fact the same issues exist and that we have a manager who once again fails to spot the obvious and makes some very bizarred decisions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chippy View Post
    Need to be, but won't be.
    Easy to be pessimistic after this game, it wasn’t pretty. The shine has been taken off the summer transfers after today, but it was needed. Nothing less than 4th will do given the two competitors up against us. Three games in and we won’t really know this team until our proper defence is out there and we’ve played more than 3 games. It’s on Emery to get us back into the CL now. We have the team to do that.