User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Match reaction vs Spurs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Globalgunner View Post
    Agree with all the above except Laca was the one who asked to be subbed. He must have picked up something. Xhaka will be the death of this manager at Arsenal. He effectively cost us CL last season in the game with Brighton and will cost us points every time he is picked. Thoroughly useless lump that Emery made captain. Laca is brilliant by the way, such quick feet to lash that goal in yesterday.
    yes apparently Laca had a minor hamstring problem but Emery said it wasn't 'severe' which hopefully means he'll be fine for the next game

unfortunately he also praised Xhaka for his overall game so let's hope he's more accurate about Laca...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac76 View Post
    unfortunately he also praised Xhaka for his overall game so let's hope he's more accurate about Laca...
    I just don't get Emery, this guy cost us goals regularly and cost us the win yesterday effectively, yet here he is again praising him, what does Emery see in him, clearly it's something or he wouldn't have made him captain.

Xhaka has cost us and will cost us again, he thinks too slowly and reacts too slowly for the English game and that's never going to change.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's disappointing about Emery so far is that over a season into his time, there's no clear direction and no clear style of play, you'd have expected that after this amount of time he'd have the team playing the way he wants them to and that the new signings were cogs to implement that, unfortunately it doesn't appear to be the case right now.

For this hoping Tierney and Bellerin will make all the difference, the former has never played in the PL and so will need time to adapt after playing at a very different level and Bellerin has been out for a long time with a career risking injury and will take quite some time to get fit again and get back to form, so we can't really count on them making a difference for a fair while.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    Do what?
    Last year we drew with Liverpool at home, lost away.
    Lost both games to City.
    Beat Chelsea at home, lost away.
    Beat Spurs at home, drew away (should have won that one)
    Beat Utd at home, drew away.

In a top 6 mini-table pretty sure we were only behind the top 2
    Like you said, last year, also thats when there was still a litlle bit of positivity in him and he hadn't gone over to the dark side.

Also note all the wins came only at home- oh and Spurs did beat us at home in some cup IIRC.

Looking at this years top 6 table, already we are second to the bottom with just Chelsea's one match propping us up.The Spuds should be really pleased with themselves, as they've taken a total of 4 points off both us and Citeh and are well placed to get decent results at home against the smaller top 4. I hope this mini league table won't be that important to final standings because if Emery continues with his negative football we will firmly remain at the bottom this year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the end, not really a satisfying result. Awful to go down 2-0 early due to insipid stupidity, great to come back and at least draw. Had this been an away game, wouldn't really complain. There were long stretches where we were dominant, but always drifted out of it and Tottenham were able to fashion chances too easily when we took the boot off their necks.

What I would say is that last year, considering quality of squad, it felt like any result against them was almost like a bonus. Now it feels like it's 50/50. Hopefully we'll continue to improve as players come back and settle in.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 21_GOONER_SALUTE View Post
    Looking at this years top 6 table
    Come on, dude.
    Looking at the whole table let alone the mini top 6 table at this stage is silly.
    From what I’ve seen so far though, last season’s top 2 are going to be in their own little world again.
    After that I reckon we are as good as anyone.
    The other likely top 4 teams are Spurs, Chelsea and Utd and none of them are looking any better than us.
    As I said above looking like the 2 least bad sides will complete the top 4.
    Right now I see no reason to think we are either favourites or underdogs for one of those positions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    Looking at the whole table let alone the mini top 6 table at this stage is silly...........
    You don't say....... probably best you lock this debate section up and open it towards the end of the seaon, maybe we'll be "entertained" and get a dramatic car crash ending like last year.

Anyway, the rest of your reply was an analysis, rightly based on what we've seen so far this season, exactly what I did.

Now though I agree with much of it, simply finishing top 4 because our competitors are having problems will not be an achievement for me this season. Another flash in the pan (a la Leicester) is certainly not what AFC should be about.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 21_GOONER_SALUTE View Post
    Now though I agree with much of it, simply finishing top 4 because our competitors are having problems will not be an achievement for me this season. Another flash in the pan (a la Leicester) is certainly not what AFC should be about.
    I don't think a top 4 finish would be a flash in the pan, we have the resources to maintain a top 4 position, they didn't. What they did was remarkable and really shouldn't be possible in this day and age but they did what they did in part because the other top teams were rebuilding and...Wenger. And while I agree us finishing top 4 would be as much about other teams' failings, it would be a start. Liverpool and City are miles and miles above us, and above everyone. We were never going to close that gap in one or two season. Last season was a small step closed - a bit too small for my liking but it was a small improvement. Lots of work to do but we've strengthened enough to suggest we should finish top 4 this year. Obviously the defence remains the big concern, we aren't going to seriously push on till we sort that out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Leicester are looking ominously good this season...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol
    NOTE: The location of this post has been moved and the thread title (which was previously Wenger is Leaving) has been manipulated by a notorious pro-Wenger moderator. What was previously a message that contained no profanity and made a comment on a real life event has now been manipulated by a deliberately provocative title. An old and crude propaganda and censorship technique.