User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ma...rtinelli reaction v Standard Liege (home)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Emery really confuses the hell out of me: when he plays the kids everything seems to click and you can see that there’s an exciting brand of football there; but when he plays his “best XI” it turns into amateur hour?!

Is he just lucking out with a group of kids who don’t need much coaching, or has he been saddled with a bunch of senior players who are unresponsive to what he’s trying to coach, and maybe too old to learn new tricks?

But then why keep picking them if they keep letting you down (and especially when there’s better options there who are buying into your methods better)? I don’t get it...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Emery is too conservative and won’t take any risks for the real stuff. He’s about as vanilla as it gets.

He’ll have to start playing a couple of these guys though, the clamour will be too much to ignore.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I am invisible View Post

a group of kids who don’t need much coaching
    This is probably the most likely explanation. The academy has produced an excellent generation and the newer scouts have picked out some real prospects in Guendouzi and Martinelli. Their technique, attitude and style of play is simply better than that of most of the seniors who have been poorly scouted and don't fit into a traditionally attacking and open outfit like Arsenal.

Emery just seems fearful of going all out and retreats into thinking the seniors are his safest option.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where the fuhk did Martinelli learn to head a ball!?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blink 1nce Quince 2wice View Post
    Where the fuhk did Martinelli learn to head a ball!?
    I’m gonna go out on a limb here and say Brazil.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finally....a replacement for Olivier!

Administrator McNamara That Ghost...'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m trying not to get carried away with Martinelli, but he is probably better than Quaresma
    It's better to burn out, than to fade away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gabriel Martinelli is all things to all men, and to one lucky lady.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Splinter View Post
    This is probably the most likely explanation. The academy has produced an excellent generation and the newer scouts have picked out some real prospects in Guendouzi and Martinelli. Their technique, attitude and style of play is simply better than that of most of the seniors who have been poorly scouted and don't fit into a traditionally attacking and open outfit like Arsenal.

Emery just seems fearful of going all out and retreats into thinking the seniors are his safest option.
    I suppose he does have grounds for some of that fear, if I’m being fair? I mean some of the first team players are (fairly) getting slaughtered by the fans right now for every mistake, so I can understand why he’s maybe reluctant to chuck too many young players into that kind of atmosphere at once.

And we are easing several or these guys either back from injury or into life in England - frustrating as it is, that shouldn’t be rushed.

But I do think he’s maybe underestimated the amount of goodwill there is towards these younger players? The fans can forgive a lot if they can see a bit of fight and pride in wearing the shirt, and simply seeing something fresh and different out there will go a long, long way after years of watching the same players making the same mistakes. It’s the utter tedium and predictability of it that does the most damage, imo...