User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ma...rtinelli reaction v Standard Liege (home)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I raised my eyebrow slightly when I saw Nelson start the first home game of the season and to be honest, that feeling has only cemented. I think he should be behind Saka and Martinelli in the pecking order.

At this rate Pepe should be too mind you!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blink 1nce Quince 2wice View Post

Finally....a replacement for Olivier!
    but one who can actually score goals, run faster than 0.00000000000001 mph and doesn't look like a bearded giraffe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blink 1nce Quince 2wice View Post
    I raised my eyebrow slightly when I saw Nelson start the first home game of the season and to be honest, that feeling has only cemented. I think he should be behind Saka and Martinelli in the pecking order.

At this rate Pepe should be too mind you!
    Nelson's a good player - he had an involvement in at least two of the goals last night and seemed to be starting to build an understanding with Tierney.

he needs more time but i definiely think he should be in and around the first team.

can't argue against playing Saka ahead of him though but given Martinelli seems to work best in the middle and Nelson's normally played on the wing i think you're comparing apples and oranges there

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Emery said after the game that Martinelli prefers playing wide (even though in Brazil he played centrally), which is to the kid's credit. He plays every game as if it is his final audition. So it isn't an apples and oranges comparison....just a young player who can play in more than one position like most young players. He is young enough not to have his position absolutely cemented in any 1 place too.

In any case the point is, if I was asked who I'd rather start wide left in the next game, I would prefer Saka and Martinelli before Nelson. The comparison is there because they are all vying for the wide left spot. We have after all spent 72 mill on the wide right slot which we absolutely need to work now. Nelson did well yesterday and I think that is telling because I think it is more his level than that of the prem.
    Last edited by Blink 1nce Quince 2wice; 04-10-2019 at 12:27 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, fair point, though i think Nelson has looked fairly bright in all the games he's played but he jsuust needs time to gain a little more composure at times and adjust to playing some of the more 'combative' teams i think

he's clearly absolutely desperate to impress so that's healthy competition

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Nelson is probably the least impressive out of this batch of kids but at 19 years old it would be churlish to be too hard on him given we only have a small sample of games to work with.

The other kids just seem a little bit more polished and more able to really affect a game in a tangible way.
    Last edited by Marc Overmars; 04-10-2019 at 03:05 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m looking at this more in terms of being delighted that we suddenly have 6 good, balanced options to choose from for those front 3 spots!

Sure, we probably all have an opinion on who the strongest 3 would be, but the reality is we’ll be resting / rotating / subbing these guys throughout the year, so it’s great that there’s lots of different combos there that work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally, I'm most excited by Martinelli he was very good in pre-season and has performed really well in the Caraboa and the Europa, he creates and scores and is exciting to watch. Deserves his chance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Özim View Post
    Personally, I'm most excited by Martinelli he was very good in pre-season and has performed really well in the Caraboa and the Europa, he creates and scores and is exciting to watch. Deserves his chance.
    Yeah Martinelli looks to be the one who could develop and fairly quickly into an elite talent. I like Saka too though, he has a really high ceiling IMO, he's creative, a good dribbler and has a decent shot on him.

Nelson is most definitely the furthest behind, though he did play well the other day in the Europa game.

Smith-Rowe is also a decent talent, albeit a slight crock. Surprising really has he seems the most physically developed out of all the young talents.

All of these guys are good enough to carve out a decent career at the club, the latter as nailed on first team players, Nelson and Smith-Rowe as very credible squad options.

P.S. Forgot to mention Willock, he has developed into a genuine first XI player IMO. I really like him.
    Last edited by selassie; 08-10-2019 at 01:27 PM.