User Tag List

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Match Reaction v Vitoria SC (away)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yet again Arsenal cannot keep a lead.

I don't think its something that we will need to worry about against Leicester.

There was an improvement last season but this season its gone back to the crap that Wenger used to serve up.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There was incremental improvement at best last year and the collapse at the end when Spurs were all but holding the top 4 door open for us was very Wengery.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "We are not good enough defensively" Emery stating the fucking obvious...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problem is that this club always wants to do things on the cheap, the shortlist of managers wasn't great, then we narrowed it down to Arteta (what an awful option - a guy who has never managed and wasn't even a particularly good player for us either) and Emery.

Based on that choice Emery was obviously going to be the clear winner, at least he'd won something, on paper it looked like an ok choice given his time at Sevilla, but what we didnt know was just how negative he was and the kind of limited manager he was.

It's fair to say no fans would have chosen him given the choice, it would have been someone like Simeone, Allegri, Ancelotti, someone proven basically, or if you want to take a punt on a less tried and test option, someone like Jardim to see if he can repeat what he did with the young players at Monaco.

In the end we got Emery and everyone was excited to see the back of Wenger and to see if we can finally see some progress, a new style of football and some more logic applied, it seems that we've somehow manager to pick a manager who can't see the obvious issues again and makes many illogical decisions as Wenger did.

I think if we replace him we now need to go for someone proven, no more going for the cheap option. The blame lies squarely at Ivan Gazidis' doors though, who proved to be a disastrous chief executive, he probably realised he'd made a mess picking Emery and made sure he made it out of the door before it all unfolded and he took the brunt of the fans anger.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Özim View Post
    Problem is that this club always wants to do things on the cheap.
    That's not as true as it used to be. Last 5 years only City and Utd have a higher net spend

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/prem...wettbewerb/GB1

And our wage bill is 4th highest

https://www.footballfancast.com/excl...n-2019-2020/17

I'd be OK with Freddie as caretaker for the rest of this season, he has a lot of good will from the fans and might bring a bit of unity between fans and club.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was always pretty obvious to me that no matter how bad he got, not just anyone could come in and do a better job than Wenger. However it got so toxic to the end that pointing that out on here was seen as Wenger support and started endless tedious debates. So I mostly didn't bother.

I didn't watch the game as I was working like most and doesn't sound like I missed anything and yet I will still go back and watch it when I can. A glutton for punishment perhaps.

I think if we somehow miraculously won against Leicester it would save his job, but I think under this regime there is the remotest chance he will be pushed out if we lose.

As an aside people keep saying Chelsea reaped success because they kept firing managers as if THAT in itself was the key factor. Nothing to do with the bucket loads of money they kept throwing at it up until recently then....
    Last edited by Blink 1nce Quince 2wice; 07-11-2019 at 01:33 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blink 1nce Quince 2wice View Post

As an aside people keep saying Chelsea reaped success because they kept firing managers as if THAT in itself was the key factor. Nothing to do with the bucket loads of money they kept throwing at it up until recently then....
    I think managers for them have mostly been inconsequential but I think standards at Chelsea are very much higher. Different culture and way more collectively driven as a club. The fans hated Sarri even though he delivered top 4 and the EL because they believed they should be better than that. If Emery did that for us last year he'd be the saviour.
    Last edited by Marc Overmars; 07-11-2019 at 02:21 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    That's not as true as it used to be. Last 5 years only City and Utd have a higher net spend

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/prem...wettbewerb/GB1

And our wage bill is 4th highest

https://www.footballfancast.com/excl...n-2019-2020/17

I'd be OK with Freddie as caretaker for the rest of this season, he has a lot of good will from the fans and might bring a bit of unity between fans and club.
    You know what I mean, we cut corners wherever we can. When looking for a manager we weren't looking for a top class manager because we didn't want to pay the salary or give them the transfer kitty they may ask for, so in the end we got Emery.

We should have really gone for someone top class rather than Emery.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    I think managers for them have mostly been inconsequential but I think standards at Chelsea are very much higher. Different culture and way more collectively driven as a club.
    Agreed, at Chelsea they demand success and if you don't deliver you lose your job, it's worked pretty well for them on the whole as they've won a stackful of trophies. Yes there are dips but they almost always pickup again and win.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Özim View Post
    You know what I mean, we cut corners wherever we can.
    I don't really understand your stance on the club in this area. You simultaneously say this and also say that we waste far too much money on salaries for mediocre players (something I agree with).
    So which is it? Do we cut corners wherever we can or waste money?