User Tag List

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Match Reaction v Vitoria SC (away)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The trouble is we are highly unlikely to pull any top manager out of a job mid-season. Which is why I don't mind if Freddie gets it till the end of the season and then we can assess where we are from there, also it's being reported that the players respond better to him than Emery anyway.

If we're going for the young, unproven at a high level option then I'd like it to be Vieira or Howe. Not interested in Arteta at all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The last Howe we had didn't go down to well

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    That's not as true as it used to be. Last 5 years only City and Utd have a higher net spend

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/prem...wettbewerb/GB1

And our wage bill is 4th highest

https://www.footballfancast.com/excl...n-2019-2020/17

I'd be OK with Freddie as caretaker for the rest of this season, he has a lot of good will from the fans and might bring a bit of unity between fans and club.
    I think net spend is misleading, in the last 5 years we haven't got a lot for players we have sold I don't think, we've either let their value drop to nothing or sold them cheaply, whereas the other clubs have perhaps got more for their players, would be interesting to see the players sold and how much they raised. If they have raised a lot more, then of course they would have had more to spend, I know we've lost quite a few valuable players for peanuts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    The trouble is we are highly unlikely to pull any top manager out of a job mid-season. Which is why I don't mind if Freddie gets it till the end of the season and then we can assess where we are from there, also it's being reported that the players respond better to him than Emery anyway.

If we're going for the young, unproven at a high level option then I'd like it to be Vieira or Howe. Not interested in Arteta at all.
    Allegri is available, an unpopular choice perhaps but Mourinho is also available. If you want them badly enough though, I think you an get them, it's all about what you can offer them and how much ambition you show (this might a problem for us).

We probably won't even try though as it would cost us too much, which in the end is always the primary criteria with us, that's why we could end up with a guy like Arteta.

Agree for unproven Vieira for me would be a good shout, he's done a decent job managing so far and is a legend and his style of play was always a job to watch, definitely one of my favourite players of all time, how we could use a player with a fraction of his ability and aggression now.

We sold him far too early for next to nothing, should have kept him until he retired.
    Last edited by Özim; 08-11-2019 at 01:06 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have said before I would like to see Vieira giving a go... at the end of the day if we miss out on the CL and also miss out on the EL hardly end of the world stuff.

Emery has to go. I would take a defeat to Leicester to see Emery on his way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Özim View Post
    I think they demand success because the owner loves football and wants to see his team succeed, that's where it stems from, yes they have had money (although less so now), but their club philosophy is to be successful, not just get into the top 4. At Arsenal it's rather different sadly.
    Without getting into the chicken and egg thing, most owners (at the time Abramovich joined at least) loved football and want to see their team succeed. the undeniable difference is, Abramovich was far richer than the rest. We've had and spent money money poorly and now we have an average manager.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post

The good thing about Howe and Vieira is at least they know English football, so shouldn't be a learning curve.

Cant see Allegri wanting to come to Arsenal when the Bayern job is available and possibly the United job at some point. Bigger clubs than us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blink 1nce Quince 2wice View Post
    Without getting into the chicken and egg thing, most owners (at the time Abramovich joined at least) loved football and want to see their team succeed. the undeniable difference is, Abramovich was far richer than the rest. We've had and spent money money poorly and now we have an average manager.
    The Liverpool model is what we should be emulating... they sell a player for massive money and reinvest in the required areas and also not afraid to spend what it takes. However, this didn't happen over night... it took a few years for Klopp to build the team.

We just need to find a manager who can mimic what Klopp has done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd rather it wasn't an ex legend unless the evidence to their managerial credentials are overwhelming.....and there's none out there that fit that bill.

Most managerial appointments end in the sack however disguised....so it is likely to end up in thinking of the legend differently.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumble View Post
    The Liverpool model is what we should be emulating... they sell a player for massive money and reinvest in the required areas and also not afraid to spend what it takes. However, this didn't happen over night... it took a few years for Klopp to build the team.

We just need to find a manager who can mimic what Klopp has done.
    Easier said than done. Klopp is one of the best coaches of the decade and guys like him don't grow on trees. If only Wenger had buggered off earlier.