User Tag List

Page 26 of 34 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Winter Transfer Ignorance and Dart Throwing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Özim View Post
    Don't hold your breath for the summer, we probably won't have much having spent this summers money last summer (on Pepe and Saliba) and probably with no CL football.

With Kroenke not willing to put his hand in his pocket I expect we'll be going for bargain basement signings and probably will have a bit more of what happened with Mari too.
    It’s the wage bill that’s killing us - if you look for a list of what everyone’s earning, you can see at a glance just how much waste there is there. Draw a line through the squad at the £90k/wk mark, and I reckon we could afford to lose almost everyone above that line, except Auba and Leno, and replace them with players on half the money (or less).

Honestly, I’m no fan of the Kroenkes, but we really shouldn’t have to ask them for a penny to sort this mess out. This club generates more than enough to be competitive, even without CL revenue - we’re just not making it work hard enough. If I were the owners of the club, I think I’d want to see some evidence that the people spending the money can actually be trusted with it before I gave them any more...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I am invisible View Post
    It’s the wage bill that’s killing us - if you look for a list of what everyone’s earning, you can see at a glance just how much waste there is there. Draw a line through the squad at the £90k/wk mark, and I reckon we could afford to lose almost everyone above that line, except Auba and Leno, and replace them with players on half the money (or less).

Honestly, I’m no fan of the Kroenkes, but we really shouldn’t have to ask them for a penny to sort this mess out. This club generates more than enough to be competitive, even without CL revenue - we’re just not making it work hard enough. If I were the owners of the club, I think I’d want to see some evidence that the people spending the money can actually be trusted with it before I gave them any more...
    think for years we have overpaid in salaries, even when everyone was lauding Wenger for not spending money.... the money was being spent on salaries instead of transfer fees.

Anyway looks like Pablo Mari is joining on loan. anyone know if he is any good? think he has played for a couple of 2nd division clubs before Flamengo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumble View Post
    think for years we have overpaid in salaries, even when everyone was lauding Wenger for not spending money.... the money was being spent on salaries instead of transfer fees...
    Yeah, it was that communal wage structure he implemented - sounds reasonable in theory, but in practice it’s no way to run a business. Instead of keeping everyone level and happy we’ve ended up underpaying (and losing) the rare genuine stars we’ve had and overpaying a majority of average players who have then become incredibly hard to shift. Hoping we’re seeing the beginning of the end of that now.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumble View Post
    ...Anyway looks like Pablo Mari is joining on loan. anyone know if he is any good? think he has played for a couple of 2nd division clubs before. Flamengo
    Great, now we’re gonna have Greta Thunberg showing up on our doorstep.

Honestly, can’t say that I really know anything about him, bar what I’ve read since the weekend. Tim Vickery (South American football expert, who’s opinion is generally trustworthy) seems to rate him very highly, so that’s promising, but who can say how he’ll take to PL football?

What I will say is that the bar is extremely low right now - basically, if he’s a) better than Mustafi and b) fit then it’ll probably be a good deal for us at that price. If Arteta can make our collection of shell-shocked, fatally-flawed defenders look semi-competent with just a bit of structure and organisation then I guess there’s hope for anyone, right?
    Last edited by I am invisible; 29-01-2020 at 09:44 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I am invisible View Post

What I will say is that the bar is extremely low right now - basically, if he’s a) better than Mustafi and b) fit then it’ll probably be a good deal for us at that price. If Arteta can make our shell-shocked, fatally flawed defenders look semi-competent with just a bit of structure and organisation then I guess there’s hope for anyone, right?
    agree, though the bar is extremely low as i genuinely believe there's 5-a-side players in the crowd on any given match day who are better than Mustafi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    NOTE: The location of this post has been moved and the thread title (which was previously Wenger is Leaving) has been manipulated by a notorious pro-Wenger moderator. What was previously a message that contained no profanity and made a comment on a real life event has now been manipulated by a deliberately provocative title. An old and crude propaganda and censorship technique.

Administrator McNamara That Ghost...'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Media in transfer windows.

Absolutely fucking clueless.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hope he turns out to be more useful than our recent loan signings.

Which shouldn't be hard.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well it's on Arsenal.com. Also just seen Giroud would be open to a move to the spuds
    Last edited by dazthegooner; 29-01-2020 at 02:42 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dazthegooner View Post
    Well it's on Arsenal.com. Also just seen Giroud would be open to a move to the spuds
    He will fit right in. Giroud knows how to make a DVD
    Make 2mrw better than 2day

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Globalgunner View Post
    He will fit right in. Giroud knows how to make a DVD