User Tag List

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: The Arteta Thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don’t know about that.

Sheffield United were remarkably consistent.
    If you don’t send this signature to ten people, you will become a Spurs fan.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You know what I mean

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    This has not been a high quality season, no-one has been that consistent so that's a factor.
    I beg to differ, Willian's been consistently shite

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac76 View Post
    I beg to differ, Willian's been consistently shite
    Fact!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    True, but it's a tempting piece of reasoning - especially with a new manager. You could make the argument that he was finding his feet in the first half of the season and the second half is more representative of what we could do under Arteta. It gives some hope for next season.
    I'm not sure I buy it really - the Villareal game was an example of him just not getting things right. A game in which we just had to score and we were feeble.
    But I think we have to accept that Arteta will be our manager next season and just hope that the second half of the season is an indication that things will be better next year. It will be an interesting summer, sounds like there could be a lot of changes and without being in Europe it might be hard getting players in of a level who will push us on. That said, we've been in Europe for a bazillion years in a row so I think if players buy in to the ambition that I'm sure Arteta has then it won't be a problem. The question is whether Arteta can realise that ambition, I suspect not.
    As much as it feels like a load of cold comfort, I do think these 'form since...' tables can be useful when it comes to recruitment? We won't have European football to use as a selling point, but what we can do is point to stuff like this and say "we've actually been the 3rd most in-form team in the EPL since Boxing day - come to us instead of those guys and we'll have a clean run at the league, CL spots and domestic cups next year with no tiring, mid-week trips around Europe."