User Tag List

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The Arteta Thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree with NQ - everyone’s getting a final chance chance, even if we’re mostly just paying lip service to seniority until we can make the necessary changes. The fact is we could be saddled with most of these players until the end of the season and, as Emery found out, we’re likely to have to turn to everyone at some point - we need to keep everyone at least acting like professionals while they’re still here, otherwise certain players could cause a lot of friction and unrest, which we can’t afford.

Unless there’s a catastrophic breakdown in discipline that gives him an opening, I think Arteta will look to phase certain players out a little more subtly, e.g. use rotation or injuries / suspension as an acceptable excuse to swap in younger players, and then keep them in on the grounds of merit (rather than publicly humiliating a more experienced player by dropping them in front of the world). It’s a small difference, but you know what footballers are like with their fragile egos - this allows everyone to save a bit of face, and might be enough to keep the dressing room united until we can get through to the summer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac76 View Post
    @NQ - sure he's got the right to make his mind up, but if you're asking what fans know, we watch players week in week out, and i know very few people who think Xhaka is good enough, and it will bother me if Arteta can't see that.

Fine if Arteta is able to make Xhaka twice as quick on his feet and stop him from making suicide tacles and passes in EVERY game, then great but forgive me if i think it's unlikely...
    I think Xhaka improved, a lot, under Freddie's short tenure. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying we now have a world beater on our hands. But if Xhaka can improve then anyone can improve. And if he want to go back to Germany next month, then that's okay too. But let's not be paying him to sit on the bench if he stays and could actually contribute. We'll see. We're literally in a zero clue space here on how it'll go.

Regarding the fans. Some of them need to wise up to the idea that booing one captain off the pitch and then calling for the stripping of the captaincy from the next guy is probably unhelpful. For some of the fans the sport is no longer what happens on the pitch but, instead, what happens on twatter.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I am invisible View Post
    Fair play to Pep - can’t have been easy sitting next to Mikel with his perfect Lego-hair for 3 years.
    Ha, you'd think he might have lent it to Pep occasionally, especially when it was cold...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WE LOVE YOU FREDDIE
    NOTE: The location of this post has been moved and the thread title (which was previously Wenger is Leaving) has been manipulated by a notorious pro-Wenger moderator. What was previously a message that contained no profanity and made a comment on a real life event has now been manipulated by a deliberately provocative title. An old and crude propaganda and censorship technique.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good news. I think he’ll learn more here, being part of the turnaround of this club, than he would taking charge of a small team in a small league for a token year or two.

Administrator McNamara That Ghost...'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    Seen a couple clips from training. Arteta looks like he means business tbf, very intense.
    Looked like all the FIFA mini-games to me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I am invisible View Post
    Good news. I think he’ll learn more here, being part of the turnaround of this club, than he would taking charge of a small team in a small league for a token year or two.
    I disagree think at a smaller club he would learn more and have more responsibility. I liken it to a normal job where at a smaller company you have more exposure to a wider array of tasks but at bigger companies you are more limited to a type of task stream. So at the start of your career getting a wider level of exposure is better.

But glad freddie is staying and hope arteta continues using the kids.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm getting a good vibe with Arteta compare to Emery. Hope this works out!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall_Quinn View Post
    I think Xhaka improved, a lot, under Freddie's short tenure. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying we now have a world beater on our hands. But if Xhaka can improve then anyone can improve. And if he want to go back to Germany next month, then that's okay too. But let's not be paying him to sit on the bench if he stays and could actually contribute. We'll see. We're literally in a zero clue space here on how it'll go.

Regarding the fans. Some of them need to wise up to the idea that booing one captain off the pitch and then calling for the stripping of the captaincy from the next guy is probably unhelpful. For some of the fans the sport is no longer what happens on the pitch but, instead, what happens on twatter.
    I'm all for giving everyone a chance, but If Arteta is going for a high press like Pep I don't see where Xhaka fits in. It's like when we were trying to play out from the back with Cech in goal, if the players don't fit the system it will never work.