User Tag List

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: The Arteta Thread

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chippy View Post
    Would you get rid of Arteta now? Who would take this job on?
    No real point now, but in the summer we should be looking elsewhere.
    But admittedly I don’t know who.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chippy View Post
    What's the point of a stop gap? The season is over.
    Stop gap next season until we secure who really want if indeed we do want an upgrade on Arteta? Arteta has never coached a team before, anything is literally an upgrade on him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dazthegooner View Post
    Benitez is available
    i'm in

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Allegri trending on Twitter...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IBK View Post
    Yes. He needs to go now. Let's even ignore the fact that Arteta was beaten by the manager sacked for him without even laying a glove on him tactics wise. The fact that the players were so flat for the most important game of the manager's career says it all really. Out of his depth.
    Poetic justice at play.....at least for Emery anyway and probably every other serious football nut.

To think we had a considerable amount of people who felt the "great white hope" Arteta should have been picked over Emery in the first instance......I wish someone could dig up the threads lol.

Anyway, like I said earlier, what should bother everyone is that both Emery and Arteta, were the first 2 on the list of a board/owners who had ages to plan for AW's replacement....
    at a time when serious coaches like Allegri, Anceloti, Benitez and
    Rodgers were all available (at least their quality experience could have been used as some sort of stop gap).

it seems the predictions of the so called doomist fans keep falling in place:

We stop ever being serious contenders for the title in 2007.

We slip out of AW's imaginary top 4 trophy league in 2017.

We slip out of the newly created compensatory top 6 league in 2020.

And now we are not even able to qualify for any form of European football at all!!

In fact when was the last St.Totteringham's day??

And with our demise being as slow and as painful to watch as democracy in a Middle eastern country......our wise "custodians" decide that the only way to stop this slippery slope and secure our heritage is to join a league where we will never have to worry about the dirty word "competition" ever again!!

At this rate, they were probably right on the last bit....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac76 View Post
    Allegri trending on Twitter...
    IMO we all lost the plot ages ago when we got enchanted with all things Europe....AW was the Pied Piper and the biggest culprit in this regard.

Lets go back to our roots and try and win everything domestically we can.

A manager who understands the EPL and can win it should be all that we seek.

Ancelotti should have been our coach....simple. He was always my first choice.

Anyway, only Benitez seems plausible, since Maureen has taken the Roma job (he'd be a bitter pill to swallow anyway).

I still think Rodgers wouldn't be a bad fit for us...but you'd need leaders who had balls to pull that off. (Even Ancelotti is still a possibility)

A coach who understands and wants to win the EPL is what we need....and there are quite a few coaches that fit that mould.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 21_GOONER_SALUTE View Post
    Poetic justice at play.....at least for Emery anyway and probably every other serious football nut.

To think we had a considerable amount of people who felt the "great white hope" Arteta should have been picked over Emery in the first instance......I wish someone could dig up the threads lol.

Anyway, like I said earlier, what should bother everyone is that both Emery and Arteta, were the first 2 on the list of a board/owners who had ages to plan for AW's replacement....
    Rodgers were all available (at least their quality experience could have been used as some sort of stop gap).

And now we are not even able to qualify for any form of European football at all!!

And with our demise being as slow and as painful to watch as democracy in a Middle eastern country......our wise "custodians" decide that the only way to stop this slippery slope and secure our heritage is to join a league where we will never have to worry about the dirty word "competition" ever again!!

All those names were scoffed at, yet I’d have any one of them in charge now.

It was a nice idea getting a rookie and Arteta does talk a good game but there’s no denying what a failure this season has been. He’s actually taken us backwards, which is quite impressive really considering how poor last season was despite the cup win.

I don’t think he’s a good coach, I don’t see any innovation and I don’t see any particular strengths. I’ve heard a lot of people say there have apparently been green shoots, the shape of the team is better etc, but what does that even mean if we’re heading for our lowest finish and no European football for the first time in 25 years? Whatever way you look at it, we’ve been shit by every single metric. Like fuck am I trusting this process that’s for sure.

We looked like a competent team for about 8 games after Christmas (helped playing the select few teams in the league worse than us!) but the rest of it has been a complete disaster. Whatever good run we’ve been on has been an outlier.

He shouldn’t take all the blame though. The players are not fit to wear the shirt, bar an obvious few. This club is finished for the foreseeable future, it’s hard to see anything changing on or off the pitch.

Pound for pound, I would say we are one of if not the worst team in Europe. So much less than the sum of our parts.
    Last edited by Marc Overmars; 07-05-2021 at 12:00 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If there is any truth in the rumour that Zidane is looking for a new challenge. Our owners should step up and sell him the dream. We are certainly a challenge
    Make 2mrw better than 2day

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 21_GOONER_SALUTE View Post

There was merit in looking at a vision with Arteta - and the idea of trying to unite the club and the fans behind a young, progressive coach schooled in the Pep style of play was understandable. The real failing was the absence of any structure above him, or control to mitigate some of a rookie manager's predictable inexperience. Instead, Arsenal compounded the problem by making Arteta manager after an FA Cup win, and effectively making him omnipotent. And even the most vocal detractors last season could not have predicted the monster that Arteta's ego would become.

Arteta went in with a plan - do the basics right and sort out our defence. Had these self-same players believing in him and putting their bodies on the line against Citeh and Chelsea to secure our Cup win. But then this season the self-belief and enthusiasm of the players started to leach out in the insipid; clueless and toothless displays that we saw before Xmas. Arteta was then handed a lifeline with the likes of Saka and ESR who seemed to glue his system together and we had an upturn after Boxing Day. What did he do? he started over-coaching and over complicating our style of play. He constantly changed his systems, played square pegs in round holes; ignored form players; picked fights with his captain and utterly failed to do the basics right.

These 2 legs against Villareal (and let's remember the first leg against Slavia Prague) was the culmination of a trend where Arteta lost the plot and lost his players. They were confused and petrified last night - and if there's ever a truism in football it is that most professional players can see a busted flush a mile off. They were uncomfortable with the way they were being asked to play, and simply didn't believe that it would work. It was obvious how things would go down after 10 minutes of watching us. This is exactly what happened with us under Emery, and it's a savage irony that the manager who was sacking was on the cards from the moment we stunk up the Europa League final utterly schooled his successor who fell at the stage before him.

Arteta has been given an unbelievable amount of patience and support from fans, but he has shit the bed and well and truly lost that dressing room. His trajectory over the past 10 months is now indisputably downwards, and he has shown absolutely no sign of real progress; improvement; learning from his mistakes or having a proper plan.

Taking a punt on him is not the issue. Chelsea and Manure did similar. I will even excuse the club's optimism that Arteta could turn things round following January and February. But things couldn't be more obviously over for him.
    Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe he’s over coached them and neutered any natural game they once had. You could argue the shape of the team needed solidifying but certainly not to the point where it’s now such an effort to create chances and score goals. How many times have we drawn a blank this season?

It’s become way too regimented and the fact we couldn’t lay a glove on Villarreal over 2 legs shows how clueless this team is. Slow, methodical play with no real guile or cutting edge when it comes to the final third.